Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United; Sunday 21st November 2021; 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Things didn't get bad overnight and Conte won't fix everything overnight. Right now beating the teams you're supposed to, regardless of the margins, is progress. Thought Leeds played Kane well but he looked much more engaged than under Nuno and made some good passes. Moura is frustrating because the ability is there but he's not a finisher. And it was encouraging to see Hojbjerg in a more advanced position on his goal. He's not a creator but if you judge off his play for Denmark he can make more plays than he's shown with Spurs. Thought Royal was solid. A win is a win is a win. I'm happy.

The difference between the two halves was like chalk and cheese. Why does it take a half time rollicking to motivate these professional well paid athletes? Thank god it was Antonio in the dressing room at half time or I think we could have been in deep trouble
good point ... the half time rollicking should have happened before the opening whistle though.... the worry is they started the game not being up for it?

good point ... the half time rollicking should have happened before the opening whistle though.... the worry is they started the game not being up for it?
I don't think that'll happen often now though. The Don might give them a couple of chances while he gets to know them but he won't stand for performances like that first half for very long. The players know it.

They were. Winks in particular stepped it up in the second half. Pierre scored so he obviously did better than in the first.
PEH didn't seem to celebrate his goal much. Maybe he's been reading this forum, he did not look happy. Cut him some slack . COYS, stick together and believe in the players

Nah, we were rocking under Poch, some of the best atmosphere's I've ever experienced were under him and at WEMBLEY too! Most of the team had individual songs and we'd have probably sung 8/9/10 other songs, even revived Glory, Glory under him which had all but died out.

95% of which I'd file under "when things are going well".

Some of the Wembley games were awesome, but lets not pretend it was increasingly hard work as things went on.

What players from current group have a song now?
Kane (been sung once maybe twice this season), Dele (not playing), Lorris (Hugo, not exactly a song), Dier (haven't heard it once this year), Romero (no), Rodon (no), Davies (no), Reggie (no), Sess (No), Emerson (no), Sanchez (no), Doherty (no), PEH (no), Winks (he's one of our own sung x1/2 times), Skipp (he's one of our own sung once), Tanganga (he's one of our own, sung once), Ndombele (no), Gil (no), Golini (no), I mean fucking hell!!!

For me that's a notable factor, but how many feel like 'heroes' these days?

As said somewhere above, the non-player based songbook has also shrunk since the Redknapp days too.

Last edited:
They come from YOU! fans complain about the atmosphere, but they are the ones that need to create it. Chicken and the egg. Generate the atmosphere first and they might play better. Instead of waiting them to play better to generate the atmosphere
Mate - I and the people I go with sing all the time. My question was about our selection of songs - where do new ones come from? I can’t remember the last new song.

I thought Kane had a decent game, sorry everyone. Reg rightly MotM. Good to see Sess back. Cracking response in the second half. Thoroughly enjoyed that
Agreed, but he did try a bit too hard, when he was tiring at the end, to get on the scoresheet and could have dropped back into MF and let the whippets run.

Personally I thought Phillips was MotM by a long way. I'd love to see us nab him.

Winks was busy and apart from one bad pass was more often than not looking for a progressive pass, and was tireless in making himself available. More game time and he will only get better, if Conte employs him in that role again.

Dier made some good interceptions and blocks and had a solid game in his defensive role

None of which hides the fact that we need talented and effective visionary midfielder

Yep agreed but don't think you should boo your team off 1st off in your Managers (who's top 5 in Wolrd) debut home PL game, sets the wrong vibe. I've zero issues if the intention is to get the manager sacked for being useless though.
I went for a piss after Leeds scored; didn’t know there were boos. I agree that is ridiculous.

Agreed, but he did try a bit too hard, when he was tiring at the end, to get on the scoresheet and could have dropped back into MF and let the whippets run.

Personally I thought Phillips was MotM by a long way. I'd love to see us nab him.

Winks was busy and apart from one bad pass was more often than not looking for a progressive pass, and was tireless in making himself available. More game time and he will only get better, if Conte employs him in that role again.

Dier made some good interceptions and blocks and had a solid game in his defensive role

None of which hides the fact that we need talented and effective visionary midfielder
Agree with all of that - when I said MotM I meant from Spurs, but yeah, Phillips was outstanding. I was impressed by their young lad Joe Gelhardt.

Last edited:
Weird game. Weird day. Booing. Cheering.

Worst first half of recent times - yes, inc Nuno/Jose. Leeds fielded close to a second team yet they were excellent. Enjoyed seeing Bielsa sit on a bucket - and no I’m not a hipster. Spurs - cowed, fragile, timid, boring.

2nd half - much better. Leeds did make a weird substitute/tactical change at 1-1 but anyway. Goals from two of the worst performers in the first half; a bit of singing; much cajoling from our new manager. Dier, Moura good. As was Sanchez when he came on.

3points and much to work on. Conte gets a full week with the squad. Pleased to Sessegnon appear today. A goal for Harry can’t be too long in coming???

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

The crowd - near me (block 512) - pitiful (fries, cokes, popcorn and chit chat). No singing at all. South Stand sounds loud for a couple of bars of familiar songs but that’s about it. The old Lane this ain’t but we must find a way of making it our own and our fortress - us and the team..

Shame I missed Mrs P yet again….

Didnt think the atmosphere was that bad. Started all right but we were fucking awful for 45 mins and its hard to keep anything going in those circumstances.

The boo boys however can fuck off, do my head in.

If we were next to the away fans there would be more banter but we can barely hear them and they can barely hear us

Weird game. Weird day. Booing. Cheering.

Worst first half of recent times - yes, inc Nuno/Jose. Leeds fielded close to a second team yet they were excellent. Enjoyed seeing Bielsa sit on a bucket - and no I’m not a hipster. Spurs - cowed, fragile, timid, boring.

2nd half - much better. Leeds did make a weird substitute/tactical change at 1-1 but anyway. Goals from two of the worst performers in the first half; a bit of singing; much cajoling from our new manager.

3points and much to work on. Conte gets a full week with the squad. Pleased to Sessegnon appear today. A goal for Harry can’t be too long in coming???

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

The crowd - near me (block 512) - pitiful (fries, cokes, popcorn and chit chat). No singing at all. South Stand sounds loud for a couple of bars of familiar songs but that’s about it. The old Lane this ain’t but we must find a way of making it our own and our fortress - us and the team..

Shame I missed Mrs P yet again….
Have to say, in relation to the fans, last match I was at was vs Aston Villa one of the worst atmospheres I've experienced at a Spurs game. Suppose it was during peak Nuno and we had nothing to shout about but I remember saying to my mate the atmosphere was so negative.

I actually like a lot of these players, they've just been managed but a totally cunt and someone out of his depth, both gone now thankfully.

I met up with loads of people pregame today and there was a really positive vibe from everyone, yes agree the crowd have always reacted to wants going on the pitch but for that prematch enthusiasm after 5mins something is wrong.

I’m quietly optimistic about where we can go under Conte. There should be positive vibes, we’ve just nabbed one of the most in demand managers in the world.

I do think this season the crowd has been quite tetchy but equally we have been atrocious to watch at times. The fans aren’t daft, rip us off at your peril.

ANYWAY! Onwards and upwards! For once we’ve got something to be happy about! Cheers all!

I wouldn’t be surprised to see UTD move for Philips. He’s the sort of industrious, unfussy midfielder they need and they can afford the 60 or 70 million it would take.

Back
Top Bottom