TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v woolwich - Sat, 10 Feb, 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Your right about Hoddle! I know commentators are supposed to be neutral but fuck sake you wouldn't think he used to play for us! I know Smith when he does our games for sky is a right prick but Hoddle I thought might even it up but no he tries to hard and goes the opposite way the way he spoke about Wilshit today you would have thought he was the best player in the EPL....
I watched on a fox stream and got Lee Dixon. Got to be worse than anything Hoddle said.

I have been watching all the YouTube clips after the game and I am thinking of a proposal to Marvel for a character based loosely on 'The Mask', in the normal every day our normal even tempered Chris Cowlin is counting the panels on the side of the tube new stadium whilst listening to the Phil Collins 'But Seriously' album but when he drinks a magic potion he turns in to Expressions.. Calling Lacazzette a French Darren Bent and laughing at Ozil McCann...

Unfortunately the clips of the game have been blurred out to avoid copyright hassle I imagine...

Listening to that
I really wonder about Keown’s knowledge of the game saying the only difference between the teams was Harry Kane

Plenty of other differences in that our XI played theirs off the park in every facet of the game and they were very fortunate to only concede 1
Could easily have been 4 despite a nervy Spursy last few minutes not helped by poor refereeing

What a great read. It absolutely deserves to be pasted in toto.

Shortly after the only goal of this bruising north London derby Arsène Wenger could be seen standing on the touchline, swirling the skirts of his sodden, quilted gown as he mimed a shove and bellowed the word “Push” at the teeming skies.

There are few human beings so adept at conveying a sense of doomed betrayal with just a flourish of those great gangling arms but, to his credit, Wenger accepted after the game that Harry Kane had outmuscled, rather than fouled, his central defence while heading in Tottenham’s winner.

Perhaps Wenger was instead directing his gesture towards his own team on an afternoon when Woolwich might have drawn 1-1, might as easily have lost 5-0, but were essentially shoved aside en route to a defeat that could go some way toward settling their league season.

Kane will grab the attention for another decisive performance. The contrast in his interpretation of the centre-forward role and that of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was painful at times. On the one hand, a man who plays football as though the world is about to end in roughly 27 minutes. On the other, Aubameyang’s low-impact, sustainable take. Reduce. Recycle. Don’t run around very much at all.

If one quality defines Kane it is his relentlessness. To play against him must feel like being pursued by a one-man zombie horde, forced to perform at a level of absolute intensity.

For long periods Spurs overran Woolwich in the clinches. They were led by Kane up front. But they were driven on by the real surging mastermind of this victory and on current form the Premier League’s outstanding central midfielder.

It was not until the hour mark and his 50th touch that Mousa Dembélé finally misplaced a pass. Either side he was the dominant influence, embodying Mauricio Pochettino’s obsession with physical intensity, but also showing wonderful all‑round craft and discipline.

Dembélé is one of those players other players love, attracting purring reviews from his team-mates at that rare combination of running power, dribbling and passing. He is an unusual midfielder too, able to dominate a game, to run the mechanics of those key central spaces without registering in the stat-lovers columns. Dembélé has one league goal and one assist in the past two years, despite often spending large parts of games close to the opposition goal.

Instead, he plays the deeper game, the pass that makes the pass, the perfectly timed interception, the Premier League’s ultimate midfield controller.

The goal came from a moment of classic Dembélé as he chased back and wrenched the ball away from Mesut Özil, before dummying inside, changing direction and finding Ben Davies in space.

Davies’s cross was headed home in thrilling fashion by Kane, hanging above the Woolwich defence with the help of a little legitimate leapfrog contact.

Once again Dembélé had directed where and how. And once again Woolwich had been overpowered, first of all in the centre by the master of the deep midfield battle; and then in defence, the centre-halves left chewed up and squabbling on the floor.

Spurs surged away from Woolwich in that period, snapping their passing combinations together with a vicious sense of purpose. Only Jack Wilshere seemed to have the will and, indeed, the desperation to face that swarming physical challenge.

During those periods Wilshere versus Dembélé was a fine battle, even if at times the Woolwich man resembled an entirely different species altogether, a chipmunk wrestling with a grizzly bear. At others it was almost a little too much as Wilshere charged in with reckless abandon and was too often left dumped flat out on the grass in the physical mismatch.

Woolwich’s plan had been to pack the midfield in Aaron Ramsey’s absence, to fill those spaces and play on the break. It almost came off in the first half as Wilshere played the pass of the game, a lovely little reverse through ball behind the centre-backs. Aubameyang was called offside, perhaps unfairly.

As Spurs upped their own levels in that central area their power and craft made the difference as it had against Manchester United. Eric Dier also had one of his better recent games, but it was Dembélé who always seemed to be one step ahead.

Some have suggested Dembélé should have had a more decorated career, could certainly have played for any of the European super clubs in a Paulinho+1 kind of role. But at a time when the role of the all-round central controller seems particularly demanding there is something genuinely thrilling in the way he drives this Spurs team on, performing here with an all-round authority that was simply too much for Woolwich’s midfield.

Listening to that
I really wonder about Keown’s knowledge of the game saying the only difference between the teams was Harry Kane

Plenty of other differences in that our XI played theirs off the park in every facet of the game and they were very fortunate to only concede 1
Could easily have been 4 despite a nervy Spursy last few minutes not helped by poor refereeing

Keown’s only recently discovered fire, so I don’t hold out much hope that he comprehends the complexities of a football match.

Listening to that

I don't mind Keown as a pundit on the whole, not as good as Lee Dixon but OK and reasonably knowledgeable (god knows I hated them as players but like Ian Wright they've reinvented themselves pretty well). Yesterday I got the impression that they wanted a bit of Keown-Jenas faux "tension". They were winding MK up before and after the game in the studio and during it (McManaman, Glenn and the commentator). JJ isn't too good at playing the controversial, confrontational type, he's too measured, so that role fell to Rio who took to it enthusiastically.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if they'd said to Keown to have his gooner glasses on to spice things up, didn't really work tho, so the above opinion just came across as wrong.

I watched the game again last night, I was struck by how well we controlled the first half as well as the second. After the first 15 mins when they countered us dangerously we tightened up the midfield and really weren't caused any real problems in the latter stages of the half. This idea that Wenger was putting forward they were the better team and could have sewn the game up in the first 45 is complete nonsense.

If only for the fact that to sew a game up you need to start with at least a couple of shots on target

What a day. Made it back in time for the start of England Wales and hot tea and crumpet(s) by the fire. As in 3 years ago, the Whites beat the Reds all ends up over the weekend.

One complaint. I get more stressed than ever in the past. Maybe because my expectations now run higher than being bossed for 89 mins and somehow scrapping a jammy equaliser/penalty/Jenas blue moon worldie. In those far off days I didnt know the meaning of tension.

I do now, and I don't like it at all. I actually can't handle it. The whole first half was spent in an agony of yelling, screaming, chanting, anything to stop me thinking the unthinkable - the bastards were going to fluke something and get away with it.

And please. Harry, Sonny, Trips, Dele, Erik - don't put me through anything like that last 3 minutes. Any of those chances that somehow stayed out would have done my poor heart a world of good. Think big guys, it's more than a game. We're talking the Nation's Health.

So, in future please. Score early, and often. I'll take the whole 2nd half as a cakewalk of jollity and wind-up singing at those lickspittle goons as they sidle out with nothing to look forward to but having a rant of fam and blud and 2 minutes of "fame".

#WengerInTill2028
#LongLiveKronky

Journos trying to have a stir about Alderweirald and his contract this morning. They can't just say well played and shut the fuck up.
Those cunts on Sunday Supplement no doubt. Cheeses me right off. Any credit we ever recieve from the media is always tinged with a negaitve. Was hilarious when one journo said we "need to win a trophy" (yawn) to prevent the collapse of THFC and then the other said if they win trophies then players will leave because their profile is that much higher. We can't win. I don't see why we all bother - we should just become Real feeder FC and be done with it

Very good, just very good. The only negative is us not scoring enough against these wankers - but to be fair, even their fans have piped down by now I feel.

We are back in the race for CL and Juve coming up now, good times. I honestly have to say, it's going to be very difficult against the Italians, I always favour us for a win, Juve are extremely good on the counter attack though. Hope we park the bus at their ground.

Anyway, great derby win! And maybe somebody from our rivals slips up today, would round off the weekend nicely.

anyone else wake up this morning and then have a big cheesy grin after about 5 seconds?

giphy.gif

What ever you think of Mourinho, as far as his football awareness is concerned he doesn't often get wrong regards players if they're no use to him they won't be much use to anyone else! I can't think of anyone that he's punted that's ended up with people saying "he was wrong to let him go" could be wrong though.
Salah, De Bruyne...

I don't mind Keown as a pundit on the whole, not as good as Lee Dixon but OK and reasonably knowledgeable (god knows I hated them as players but like Ian Wright they've reinvented themselves pretty well). Yesterday I got the impression that they wanted a bit of Keown-Jenas faux "tension". They were winding MK up before and after the game in the studio and during it (McManaman, Glenn and the commentator). JJ isn't too good at playing the controversial, confrontational type, he's too measured, so that role fell to Rio who took to it enthusiastically.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if they'd said to Keown to have his gooner glasses on to spice things up, didn't really work tho, so the above opinion just came across as wrong.

I watched the game again last night, I was struck by how well we controlled the first half as well as the second. After the first 15 mins when they countered us dangerously we tightened up the midfield and really weren't caused any real problems in the latter stages of the half. This idea that Wenger was putting forward they were the better team and could have sewn the game up in the first 45 is complete nonsense.

If only for the fact that to sew a game up you need to start with at least a couple of shots on target
I was going to write a post about Bellerin saying the same thing.
Just as they, could have ‘won it’ we could have scored 9( probably 7 before lazygitte had his first chance)
And for of those 9, 4 of the chances actually had to be saved.
I agree totally.
How did they deserve anything from that game?
It’s the old “ if the ball would have hit the back of the net, it would have been a goal”

Back
Top Bottom