Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Soldado is a quality player in the right league....just like Rebrov, Shevchenko, Forlan etc, PL is not for him.

As for LvG playing youth, I dont know....however, I very much doubt it will our youth getting their chances. Probably get a lot of continental or South American kids in, like Chelsea do.

I agree all but for Rebrov - he was a bit over thought of in every league and especially the national team and never really 'that' good. Think he was only ever half decent for Dynamo Kiev

Not only that, but we don't HAVE to pay our respects if we don't want to.
Me? I was having a beer chanting Yid Army none the wiser. Even if I was, I still would have done the same.

If you're being serious now, then you're an odious grade A cunt.

I don't give a fuck if you make yourself look like a dick, but if you are chanting purposely during a minutes silence you make all Spurs fans look like absolute scumbags(just like Chelsea fans).

If you're being serious now, then you're an odious grade A cunt.

I don't give a fuck if you make yourself look like a dick, but if you are chanting purposely during a minutes silence you make all Spurs fans look like absolute scumbags(just like Chelsea fans).

Clues in the "None the wiser" part. I didn't know. To tell you the truth, even if I did know - I would have still been drinking a beer and chatting to my pals.
I've had enough of giving minutes to a tragedy 25 years ago. I've paid my respects once, and thats enough.

Cheers for the input though.

Most of the opinions in this thread sum it up for me...

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/6109-Hillsborough-Disaster?p=540213#post540213

Why do we force grief onto people? Im there to have a good day, drink a beer and see Spurs play football. Not remember 96 people I never knew.

It's interesting that two scandanavians are the most upset about this though. Maybe its because you don't have it forced down your throat every day in the media, etc...

Clues in the "None the wiser" part. I didn't know. To tell you the truth, even if I did know - I would have still been drinking a beer and chatting to my pals.
I've had enough of giving minutes to a tragedy 25 years ago. I've paid my respects once, and thats enough.

Cheers for the input though.

Most of the opinions in this thread sum it up for me...

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/6109-Hillsborough-Disaster?p=540213#post540213

You know what, even though Hillsborough could have been us(37 Spurs fans injured up there in 1981) I agree that the Hillsborough disaster gets more publicity than it deserves when you compare it to other disasters such as Valley parade.

If you didn't realize there was a minutes silence then fair enough, and if you stood there quietly chatting to mate in the concourse while knowing this was going on then you'd only make yourself look stupid which is fine.

However, if you purposely sing "Yid Army" or whatever during a minutes silence you make all Spurs fans look like absolute scum in 99% of peoples eyes. That's the sort of crap I expect from Chelsea, not us.

Why do we force grief onto people? Im there to have a good day, drink a beer and see Spurs play football. Not remember 96 people I never knew.

It's interesting that two scandanavians are the most upset about this though. Maybe its because you don't have it forced down your throat every day in the media, etc...

It's a thing called human decency. Perhaps scandinavians - the vikings aside - have a bit more of that, now that you brought it up yourself.
You give up a minute of your time in respect to those who died in a tragedy and their families/friends, in order to enjoy the next 96 (coincidence?) minutes your own way. If that's too much to ask you've got a lot to learn.

This is of course (as well as my posts on match day) only to those who deliberately started chanting during the happening, not a few blokes chatting in a tunnel....

Edit: I do agree with some of your points though. I don't have any personal grief regarding Hillsborough, and we shouldn't start almost every game with a minute of silence. But when it's widely decided to pay tribute on a 25 year mark of a tragedy.... I mean, you don't have to show your respect, but there's a really long way from showing respect to being fucking indecent. Chanting was indecent. Having a beer and a chat wasn't.

Last edited:
This is of course (as well as my posts on match day) only to those who deliberately started chanting during the happening, not a few blokes chatting in a tunnel....

I've already told you that the chants came from the concourse from fans unaware, are you broken?

Nonetheless, I draw this comparison. It's similar to going to a funeral of a person you never knew. You don't really hold no emotion, and you're pretty much there just to have a beer and keep up appearances.

we shouldn't start almost every game with a minute of silence. But when it's widely decided to pay tribute on a 25 year mark of a tragedy.... I mean, you don't have to show your respect, but there's a really long way from showing respect to being fucking indecent. Chanting was indecent. Having a beer and a chat wasn't.

Im pretty sure that every year since it has been marked, and even then im nigh on certain we have had another gameweek this season where Hillsborough was remembered.

Last edited:
Nonetheless, I draw this comparison. It's similar to going to a funeral of a person you never knew. You don't really hold no emotion, and you're pretty much there just to have a beer and keep up appearances.

Well, if I attended a funeral of a person I never knew, I would keep my fucking mouth shut.

The way we went 2-0 down. The way Adebayor missed that penalty.

The way it cut to the sidelines and The Bodywarmer With The Gob was standing there, grinning.

That single moment is the lowest I have ever felt as a Tottenham fan.

Plum.

You're either a foetus waiting to be born who has somehow got a smart phone and wifi in your mums womb or you are a massive plum.

I'm going plum. You plum.

I'm with BushHillSpurs BushHillSpurs Why do we have a minutes silence time and time again for the 96 who died?
Why don't we hold a minutes silence for the 40 Juventus fans who were killed at Heysel?
Or the poor Bastards that died at Bradford?
Why is so much made of this tragedy as if it's worse than any other tragedy?
They are all equally a massive tragedy as is any loss of life but as Bushill Spurs said, this one in particular is rammed down our throats more than any of the others..
Liverpool are not innocent in the Hillsborough disaster and are gulity of the Heysel disaster lets not forget that..
They dragged this country through the mud with their antics and yet we are supposed to bow down and kiss their Arses over Hillsborough..
I have massive sympathy for those who died at Hillsborough and their families but Fuck off Liverpool your fans are partly to blame for what happened.

Last edited:

Dick. I'm going dick with you.

Its possible that you are genuinely too stupid to get why after 25years and with numerous cover ups that this was an epoch making deal. Its possible that you struggle to read and maybe are deaf so the news has has passed you by.

But I'm going dick. Definitely a dick.

, i've got no problem with you disagreeing with my post but at least offer some form of discussion as to why you disagree.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but just calling someone a Dick because they don't agree with your opinion is not really a reasonable discussion.
Liverpool ARE partly responsible for what happened at Hillsborough, even some of their own fans will tell you that..
as for Heysel, well I think it's clear for everyone to see who's at fault for that tragedy.

As much as I can sort of see or understand what everyone is saying on both sides, at the end of the day it's 60 seconds of silence on an anniversary.

It's not every game, or even every year, or even every other year.

Hillsbrough has shaped the landscape of modern football so although it seems irrelevant, it's quite relevant in many ways

As much as I can sort of see or understand what everyone is saying on both sides, at the end of the day it's 60 seconds of silence on an anniversary.

It's not every game, or even every year, or even every other year.

Hillsbrough has shaped the landscape of modern football so although it seems irrelevant, it's quite relevant in many ways

True enough it is an anniversary, but I don't recall having a minutes silence in 2010 for the 25th anniversary of Valley Parade, or for the 25th anniversary of Heysel. I don't remember anyone having to wear black armbands, including Liverpool.. My argument in all of this is Liverpool are saying this is the worst tragedy and the one where everyone else will grieve and pay respects..

True enough it is an anniversary, but I don't recall having a minutes silence in 2010 for the 25th anniversary of Valley Parade, or for the 25th anniversary of Heysel. I don't remember anyone having to wear black armbands, including Liverpool.. My argument in all of this is Liverpool are saying this is the worst tragedy and the one where everyone else will grieve and pay respects..

I think it's just because it's still status quo, Valley Parade was due to litter and the place had been condemned, it was a disaster. Liverpool were shitheads for Heysel too, and I think that is more of an embarrasment in this country rather than a disaster (as it should surely be the italians that grieve and the scousers that hang their heads in shame).

As the Hillsborough thing keeps being dragged through the media, that's why its fresh enough to be in the mind for the silence. But I would agree that there's no excuse for other disasters not being given the same respect.

I think it's just because it's still status quo, Valley Parade was due to litter and the place had been condemned, it was a disaster. Liverpool were shitheads for Heysel too, and I think that is more of an embarrasment in this country rather than a disaster (as it should surely be the italians that grieve and the scousers that hang their heads in shame).

As the Hillsborough thing keeps being dragged through the media, that's why its fresh enough to be in the mind for the silence. But I would agree that there's no excuse for other disasters not being given the same respect.

Can't really argue with none of that. but it does seem that the people of Liverpool are only pushing this because they were Liverpool fans, surely a life is a life no matter who you support.
I haven't seen any of those people showing respect for the 40 Juventus fans who were murdered by Liverpool fans, it all stinks of hypocrisy.
Their is no truer song that goes around the terraces than " always the victim, it's never your fault "

Wow... Are you serious? You can't shut up for 60 seconds, if it means you will cast rep on the club you support?

You could also argue that if Liverpool fans were partly to blame for Hillsborough then Juve fans were also partly to blame for Heysel, they were chucking missiles and wanting some aggro.

However Hillsborough for me is not just about the 96 who lost their lives, its about the lies and the cover ups by the authorities in the days and weeks after the event. Its about the lies put about by the UK media who claimed every single football fan was a drunk hooligan and that Scousers were robbing the dead.

Its disgusting that these lies put about by the media and the authorities have somehwo become accpeted facts over the years and I hope this enquiry will not be a white wash like the last one and that everyone will truley know what happened, yes Liverpool fans will need to face up that ( like any other club ) they had fans that rushed the gates, but I also remember Spurs fans climbing up Wembley to get into the 1982 cup final withou tickets, it was par for the course, but as someone alluded to, this could have been avoided.

why were Liverpool given the leppings lane end and not the kop end?
Why did the authorities claim that every single fan who died had died by 3:16pm when CCTV clearly shows peole being given mouth to mouth and still being pulled through the fences after 3:30pm?
Why did the authroities lie about the ambulances on duty and not deploy them when they are clearly visible on CCTV?
Why were Forest fans beaten back by coppers? Forest fans could see what was happening and went in to help and were beaten back by the police
why did the authorities claim that all dead bodies were tested for alcohol and claim 'most ' had alcohol in them? Do you know the age that some of those poor bastards were when they died? They went to the football just like I di as a teenager in the late 80's and they were crushed to death and the authorities have covered up what reall happened
Things like this really get on my nerves, those at the top are accountable and giving up a minute of your life to remember people that died and whose memories have been smeared by lies by the authorities and the UK media makes me sick and I hope the families are finally vindicated and can find some peace.

I'm with BushHillSpurs BushHillSpurs Why do we have a minutes silence time and time again for the 96 who died?
Why don't we hold a minutes silence for the 40 Juventus fans who were killed at Heysel?
Or the poor Bastards that died at Bradford?
Why is so much made of this tragedy as if it's worse than any other tragedy?
They are all equally a massive tragedy as is any loss of life but as Bushill Spurs said, this one in particular is rammed down our throats more than any of the others..
Liverpool are not innocent in the Hillsborough disaster and are gulity of the Heysel disaster lets not forget that..
They dragged this country through the mud with their antics and yet we are supposed to bow down and kiss their Arses over Hillsborough..
I have massive sympathy for those who died at Hillsborough and their families but Fuck off Liverpool your fans are partly to blame for what happened.

I take it you also blame Spurs fans for what happened in the same ground 8 years earlier?

And if you know your history...

Back
Top Bottom