Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City (14th Dec)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I certainly hope so. I'd be gutted if we already lost him this summer. His departure is inevitable but I would like to delay it for as long as possible.
Yeah. Short of top 4 success, he'll move on, but before he does he'll become a monster. At least Hazzard's equal, if he's not there already.

The conditions were not ideal. It takes a bit of time to get used to the zip and get your touch right. It's hard for the defenders.
I thought we played ok first half. We were in control of the first half for a while, Bony had some chances, but missed them. We had a couple.
They were at home. They are a good team with a good home record.
They have a settled team with a style of play. They play it quick, get it wide, beat the full back an cross and you are also spread watching the wide men, that creates space in between the back four. The centre backs had a hard time.
We never had any width. There was acres of space on the right that Walker never go into. If he would have been fitter he may have.
2nd half the early goal buoyed them. I thought they got on top for about 10 mins around the 60 - 70 and after that we were in control.
I think Mason was of pace today, he didn't do as much running. He also took a knock of YPSI which slowed him down. Soldado was quite. Not too sure who was playing in the No 10 role, but the lack of a player coming deep in midfield was a bit of a problem.

To single out Lamela is a joke. Watching him he didn't have a good game, but he did not play shit. In fact, he saved us a couple of times. Trouble is when he gets the ball there usually not of options in front, if there was he may find them. If I remember right there was only one instance when he had the chance toffee it through and messed it up. His passing was not that bad compared to all midfielders.
Eriksen was still coming into the middle. Chadli is right footed so he is more suited there. Imo stick Lamela on the left and Chadli on the right. They would give us more width and score more goals.
At least the boy fucking tries, and maybe he's trying too hard.

Put it into perspective, it was a hard game in difficult conditions away from home v a decent home team. We had more shots on target 10 shots 4 on target they had 15 and 3. So for all the, 'they had more chances', they had 5 more. We had nearly half of ours on target, they had not even a third.
We also had more corners and we played 68% of our passes in their half.

We worked hard, never gave up and even though a couple of players were off form we ground out a win.

Simple fact, Bony did not take his chances. He also got a bit lucky with his goal.
We may not have deserved to win but we fucking won. How many times have we steamrollered teams, wasted our chances, they have a couple and score?
Anyway, if Bony was running us ragged, keep him on. Did Monk settle for the draw taking him off with 5 mins to go, or did he think Bony was not doing it? Richards also gave the ball away.
If you were reading this thread during the game you'd have thought there was 0 effort from the players and that we were were fucking diabolical.
If we would have been Swansea it would have been, 'typical fucking Spurs, all over them, the striker can't score and we give away a goal from a set piece then lose possession and conceded in the last mins to throw it away. If only were were as clinical as Swansea.'

Liverpool did the same at Man U, but they never asked LVG if he thought he was lucky to win.

The conditions were not ideal. It takes a bit of time to get used to the zip and get your touch right. It's hard for the defenders.
I thought we played ok first half. We were in control of the first half for a while, Bony had some chances, but missed them. We had a couple.
They were at home. They are a good team with a good home record.
They have a settled team with a style of play. They play it quick, get it wide, beat the full back an cross and you are also spread watching the wide men, that creates space in between the back four. The centre backs had a hard time.
We never had any width. There was acres of space on the right that Walker never go into. If he would have been fitter he may have.
2nd half the early goal buoyed them. I thought they got on top for about 10 mins around the 60 - 70 and after that we were in control.
I think Mason was of pace today, he didn't do as much running. He also took a knock of YPSI which slowed him down. Soldado was quite. Not too sure who was playing in the No 10 role, but the lack of a player coming deep in midfield was a bit of a problem.

To single out Lamela is a joke. Watching him he didn't have a good game, but he did not play shit. In fact, he saved us a couple of times. Trouble is when he gets the ball there usually not of options in front, if there was he may find them. If I remember right there was only one instance when he had the chance toffee it through and messed it up. His passing was not that bad compared to all midfielders.
Eriksen was still coming into the middle. Chadli is right footed so he is more suited there. Imo stick Lamela on the left and Chadli on the right. They would give us more width and score more goals.
At least the boy fucking tries, and maybe he's trying too hard.

Put it into perspective, it was a hard game in difficult conditions away from home v a decent home team. We had more shots on target 10 shots 4 on target they had 15 and 3. So for all the, 'they had more chances', they had 5 more. We had nearly half of ours on target, they had not even a third.
We also had more corners and we played 68% of our passes in their half.

We worked hard, never gave up and even though a couple of players were off form we ground out a win.

Simple fact, Bony did not take his chances. He also got a bit lucky with his goal.
We may not have deserved to win but we fucking won. How many times have we steamrollered teams, wasted our chances, they have a couple and score?
Anyway, if Bony was running us ragged, keep him on. Did Monk settle for the draw taking him off with 5 mins to go, or did he think Bony was not doing it? Richards also gave the ball away.
If you were reading this thread during the game you'd have thought there was 0 effort from the players and that we were were fucking diabolical.
If we would have been Swansea it would have been, 'typical fucking Spurs, all over them, the striker can't score and we give away a goal from a set piece then lose possession and conceded in the last mins to throw it away. If only were were as clinical as Swansea.'

Liverpool did the same at Man U, but they never asked LVG if he thought he was lucky to win.
LVG actually said they were lucky to win after giving up too many chances for Liverpool.

My main observation from the game was that I no idea what the Bony wankfest is all about.

Looks like a massive toddler in a massive nappy and spent most of the match getting bossed by a defence most of us think is cack.

Average....and Im fucking sick to death of average.

If we waste another 20 plus million on another player who is not much better than what he have, I will despair.

Granted, I dont watch Swansea every week, but I wouldnt bother.
Top scorer of 2014, you watch one game and brand Bony 'average'?

:nawty:

Not sure why Lamela is getting so much hate and letting off Chadli, granted he didn't play for long but he was constantly on the left, leaving no one on the right, and they could defend and attack so much easier on that side, I'm aware that Lamela held the ball too long but he was strong in the tackle, pressing high and was not the worst out there, there are positives to be taken we cannot accuse just one player for a shit performance.
Otherwise good 3 points move onto the next game.
Lamela played for 80 minutes and achieved fuck all. I distinctly remember one moment in the first half where he was jogging back down the line when he should have been supporting Walker, and Kane came flying back to put in the challenge HE should have been making.

He was gash, the second worst player on the pitch, after Soldado - and I'll be the first to say I love and have supported them both. But they were simply awful today. Lamela was not strong in the tackle, and the only reason he had to make so many was because his touch was dreadful.

Chadli wasn't great but was only on 10 minutes. Not even a worthy comparison.

Honestly I think a lot could be fixed by dropping Mason and putting Eriksen in the middle.
Eriksen should absolutely be in the middle. Drop Bobby, and put him just behind Kane. He can do the damage in front of goal, but also has the creativity to make chances. He is wasted out wide.

The one where he got bossed by Davis and Fazio was generally on his knees being fat
I'm not sure how he could be bossed by Davies and Fazio and not Verts, given Faz was next to Walker at RCB?

Anyway, it took us 60 minutes to get to grips with him. First half he ran between Faz and Verts 3 or 4 times unsighted. A couple in the second half as well. I don't recall us tackling him, the bloke is so strong. We were fortunate he had an off-day in front of goal, he could and should of had a hat-trick.

Again. What did he achieve other than the goal?

Found space....and did what with it? Got outmanouvered or ended up not taking his chances basically.

We´ve got enough strikers like that thanks. I think we should improve the forwards, not move sideways.
We have no strikers like Bony, that is the problem.

Which should surely be a stark message to the dross home support (yes I mean whoever you think I mean)
...any chance that half the stadium wouldn't have been empty on 88 minutes, with the score at 1-1 if this game were at home?
...all the 'loyal support' who have to get home for X-Fuckter and can't imagine staying for two minutes more just to see how the game pans out...
You wouldn't leave a film with 2 minutes to go... you wouldn't walk out of a restaurant before the pudding arrived... and yet we are scratching our heads at how the home form is so drastically worse than our away form...
I think some fans have to stand up (literally) and be counted! Take note from the away support... let's take it into wednesday (I'm sure 1882 will help) and for fuck's sake, use that simple notion of SUPPORTING YOUR TEAM UNTIL THE END into the next home league game, rather than fucking off home in a huff, if it isn't 'going your way, or how you expected/demanded' it to after only 88 minutes... 2 minutes is a long time in football y'know... especially this season!
...and if you ARE insistent on leaving early from games if the score isn't to your liking... then do us all a favour, and don't come back! We need REAL SUPPORT... UNTIL THE END!
Funny, About 15 blokes around us left around the 88th minute. I would've LOVED to have seen their faces when they heard the cheers!:avblol:

Also, I'd like to say that's the first time I've seen Stambouli play and he seemed really solid for his short stint. Calm on the ball, always an option, and good in the tackle. He certainly complemented Bentaleb better than Mason.

He could be the steel we need in there to compete, as Mason and Bentaleb isn't physical enough.

My main observation from the game is the sheer lack of movement from our players. It really is amazing the watch. A simple 10 yard pass, and they stand still. FUCKING MOVE! MAKE A RUN!! I don't know how many times Davies should have been bombing past the full back but instead sat on the halfway line, received the ball and played it straight back to Verts.

It was scary how similar that was to watching an AVB team. The sideways and backwards passing was constant. The lack of options and lack of urgency in our play and movement was horrendous. Everyone just jogs around, no one makes a run in behind. We are SO narrow at times it's frightening.

Personally for the next league game I'd go -

[formation=4231, Lloris, Walker, Faz, Verts, Davies, Stambouli, Bentaleb, Lennon, Eriksen, Chadli, Kane][/formation]

Kane getting praised on MOTD

200.gif

Got back an hour ago. Great away day and the fans around me (right at the front behind the goal) were quality. Not sure if it was anyone on here, a lot of young lads one of whom was constantly shouting at their goalie lol. Does anyone know if the lad with the smoke bomb got found by OB? Hope not. Fantastic result however it came about. COYS.

Bony looks like he does squats in the gym for 8 hours every day. He should be given special dispensation to compete in the Olympics for powerlifting.

When Eriksen's goal went in, the hysteria was such that the complete stranger next to me decided to pick me up.

Needless to say, if that blonde chap was anyone on here -

I enjoyed it:lennonlol:

Question here about the defense on Swansea goal.

Routledge fooled Davies and beat him down the line. Davies knew he was beat, gave up on Routledge and ran to the center. Vert took about 2-3 steps and seemed to have a angle to get to Routledge, but stopped.
With no one marking him, Routledge easily found Bony in front of the goal.

Question is, should Davies have chased Routledge, should Verts have kept going to try to get to Routledge - or should he have stayed with Bony - who actually gave Fazio a big push to create space to receive the ball?

On motd they said that when last time they praised harry Kane someone at spurs social media told them not to do it.

Wft would the club not want Kane to get any praise?

Back
Top Bottom