Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guys, was at a BBQ keeping an eye on score. Can someone give me a brief summary of how we played? Who played well etc? Subs?
Just my two cents but we were a little off to start the first 15 or so. Southampton scored and we started shifting through the gears. Emerson and PEH off the mark in the first half but the whole squad were firing for the second 45.

Standouts were Kulusevski (easy MOTM imv; absolutely class performance), Bentancur, Sess, and the back 3. Kane and Son not great but also not terrible. They open up space for everyone and Son in particular had a couple chances to pot one. This to me was a huge plus because if they are firing on all cylinders we are winning matches 7-1, 6-0 etc this season.

Subs were Perisic for Sess and then a quadruple change involving all the new boys sans Spence. Nothing really to write about for them as the match was in the bag by the time they all got a run out.

Firstly, thanks to Spurs_1987 Spurs_1987 for putting up the stream for the match, I've just finished watching it.
An excellent performance I felt. Their goal came against the run of play in a game that we largely dominated from start to finish. Defensively I felt we were excellent. Whilst they may have had a few chances, they were all really half chances, with Lloris only really being tested in the 73rd minute.
Diet and Davies were both solid, calm and in control, whilst Cuti was just another level. Seriously World Class.
This brings me into Royal. Having read through the match thread in real time, you'd have thought he was having an absolute stinker. The reality is that he was largely excellent throughout the game, with the one blemish being him going to ground too early for their goal. Those that were digging him out need to give their heads a serious wobble.

Bentancur was imperious in the middle, his calmness, ability to take the ball and distribute in tight areas, his half turn receiving, which no one seems to be able to read... I love watching this guy play.

Hojbjerg I felt was reasonable, although he did ping some lovely through balls in at times, and it was his "assist before the assist" that led to one of our goals (can't remember which one).

Kane isn't quite up to speed yet, but deserved a goal today I felt. If So hadn't been so single minded, he would have too.

With regard to Son, whilst I don't necessarily think he had a poor game, it was well below par for his standards. His finishing was poor, but he was getting into the right place at the right time, so that'll come, of that I have no doubt.

Lastly, Kulusevski. What. A. Player. Worked his socks off from the first minute until his last, intelligent movement, intelligent passing, defending, attacking, assisting and scoring. He has the intelligence, the work rate and the ability to go to the very top of the game. There aren't enough superlatives to do this boy justice. Fantastic Footballer.

Overall, a very enjoyable watch. I saw some comments in the match thread describing Southampton as "shit." They weren't, they were simply outclassed and outworked by a team that really didn't get to top gear throughout the match.
I know Eric's got latent moobs. but that nickname's going a bit too far.

:dierno:

Great start to the season. While Kane and Son were not at their best, the team as a whole looked really solid. Kulu was a colossus. I'm really pleased for Emerson. He comes in for a lot of stick, and I've been as guilty of that as much as anyone, but today he played very well overall. Particularly in the second half.

My confidence in the team is at its highest since peak Poch.
Thank you. It's nice to see an entire post in italics, from time to time.

If we're not first game up on MOTD tonight I am going to find someone who works for the BBC and punch them on the nose.

Great start to the season, going behind early was an irritant but had every confidence we could turn it around, the pints before probably helped though

Nice to see us winning even with son and kane being quiet today, my man of the match was Bentancur, guy is so composed on the ball and breaks opposition attacks so well

Kulu was pretty good as well though! Is it me or does he seem to spark into life when attacking the park lane??

And no game is complete without romero going into lunatic mode at least once.....

Apparently IKEA Tottenham is closing permanently at the end of the month. Ironic, as it's just when sales are about to pick up.

ZELeLXr.png

IanWright May be the only ex Woolwich player that actually talks sense. Fair play to him ….cunt. Lol.

On another note I was just perusing the Kulu thread and some of the comments about how shit that transfer was!

Can’t dig your way out that one now……

You know who you are

To think, there were people that were quite frustrated that no new signings started the game.

Excellent performance. Totally dominant from start to finish and completely picking up where we left off at the end of last season. Sessesgnon looked like a new man, hopefully spurred on by having competition in Perisic. Even Emerson put in a good performance, assist included.

Bentancur and Kulusevski by far our two best players today. How important have these two been for us since January!?

Roll on Chelsea.
But but but the team that Conte put out there was the same as last season. We need to buy 10 more players! Waaah

:skippwtf2:

Back
Top Bottom