Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton (6th Aug) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't like those high visibility stripes on the shirt....really horrible...bet not many of those will leave the shop...!
Agree. For wearing it out, I wish the yellow was like 1/2 as thick- the "accent" feels like an eye gouge. For the actual game though, it's probably a great aid when trying to pick out your man in traffic.

Maybe I’m just an older fan, but the only real numbers I care about is the score at the final whistle.

All this xG and other random statistics don’t mean much to me personally.

I judge the players and team on what I see - on TV or in person.
Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Great game. Soton came out strong with intensity, but we kept our composure, matched their intensity and felt comfortably in control of the match by the end of the first half. In the second it only got better- felt like our control and dominance increased throughout.

Although of course Kane and Son didn't get on the scoresheet, the whole team played well and no ones performance was cause for concern. Emerson and Sessegnon were fantastic, and Kulusevski was near untouchable- MOTM for me.

Great start to the season for us overall.

We played OK today, some good individual performances, and were very comfortable for the most part.

That's not a dig, but does make you wonder how decent we could be when at full pelt. A very pleasing game, nonetheless.

Seggs played well today, and Perisic showed class particularly with his passing and crossing. Without pissing on anyone's cornflakes, I truly think DJ will make a huge difference when Conte gives him a run in the side, and Kulu will benefit as well.

Shout out for Bentancur who i thought had a great game today, he doesn't do anything brilliant but does an awful lot really, really well. A lot of what he does goes unnoticed but what a bargain he was.

By the way, I can't remember the last time we scored four goals and Kane and Son didn't score?

With all due respect, Emerson had a great game today. I get that he sometimes isn't that great, but today wasn't one of those games. IMO, you have to give credit when it's due.

Don't want to argue (too much) but we can't expect to win anything when "sometimes" he isn't that great.

Today he was turned on more than one occasion when defending and this against a Saints side. I think he will be a good squad player but i can't wait to see Djed start for us.

Last edited:
Gonna have to get myself a hat, as I think I've got a touch of sunstroke.
Anyway , agree with the general consensus that Deki was untouchable today. So reassuring that we have him to take the pressure off H and Sonny, when they're not at their scintillating best (although I thought they played OK - the trouble is they have set such a high bar that we feel a little disappointed when they don't score a brace or two between them).
Great team performance all round, but I get the feeling that there's much more to come, once the newbies are integrated into the way Antonio wants us to play.
I'm trying not to get carried away, it's one game, after all, but I'm optimistic for this season.

Back
Top Bottom