Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United 09/05/2018 20-00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not for the first time season Gale has hacked me off

On a par with Alan Smith for me
It didn't escape my notice that early on Jan got barged over and Gale said it was a fair challenge and Jan was too weak, then when Son similarly barged one of the Newcastle players later on it was a clear foul.

I agree with everything you said except I don't think it matters where fans are from. I sure ain't from north London.
I know we have fans from all over and I'm not saying you or they are less of a fan. Some of our most loyal supporters aren't from North London/Herts/Essex. However, I think there becomes a point where the identity of the club is weakened by the fact of having so many non-locals. Because at the end of the day one of the things that a club means or represents is its local area. I don't think we've got to that point but Liverpool and United certainly have.

I also think that it's a distinct experience following your local club as to following a club which has no connection to where you're from, because you lose that local pride element of it. Just the same as it's a distinct experience being a fan who watches the games on TV and a supporter who travels all over the country and Europe to be at the games.

(I would include Home Counties as being our local area because I feel those places are nowadays culturally "London". London has spilled out beyond its natural boundaries and particularly the white working class and lower middle classes have moved out but retain the dialect, the culture, the connections to the areas they hail from etc).

What a few days, after feeling rather miffed last Saturday and sitting through a first half of more of the same last night, the team got over the line. Relief last night has been replaced by pride today that despite playing at that miserable excuse for a stadium, we have qualified for champions league again.

Not going on Sunday, having done 8 home games this season will be glad to see us back home next season

I was there last night, my first time at Wembley, and It was a great experience. Nervy match obviously, we didn't play great especially in the first half. But it was a big improvement in the 2nd half and I could really see that the players wanted it. Kane wasn't moving much and his touch was poor again, but he made the most important touch perfectly and the relief all around was palpable. This was a huge result, getting CL for a 3rd season in a row and all that, finishing above richer rivals, and possibly getting top 3 again; this is definitely an impressive achievement and we shouldn't lose sight of that as we move to the new stadium. I'm really excited to be going to our proper ground and hopefully having much better atmosphere next season. Fair play to the geordies last night though, they made plenty of noise.

Who knows, if United lose both their matches, we could finish 2nd!!
Sorry to hear that this was you first trip to Wembley to watch what I believe was the worst display by Spurs this season. If I was Levy I would have fired Poch at halftime because as long as he is Manager we will win nothing. He sat on the bench looking pathetic as usual while Shelvey destroyed our midfield and did nothing constructive. How can we praise Spurs for this dismal effort when Ali, Wanyama, Sanchez.Vertongen were useless. Yes we won but a realistic score should have been 3 - 1 to Newcastle.
I have no confidence in Spurs achieving under Poch

It didn't escape my notice that early on Jan got barged over and Gale said it was a fair challenge and Jan was too weak, then when Son similarly barged one of the Newcastle players later on it was a clear foul.

Yes it was a clear foul on Jan but Kevin Friend ignored it as he did a few blatant fouls on us

He had a right downer on Jan for some reason

Sorry to hear that this was you first trip to Wembley to watch what I believe was the worst display by Spurs this season. If I was Levy I would have fired Poch at halftime because as long as he is Manager we will win nothing. He sat on the bench looking pathetic as usual while Shelvey destroyed our midfield and did nothing constructive. How can we praise Spurs for this dismal effort when Ali, Wanyama, Sanchez.Vertongen were useless. Yes we won but a realistic score should have been 3 - 1 to Newcastle.

Before poch it was raining trophies was it?

Yeah I really miss the days of finishing 11th or the heady heights of playing in the Europa league under avb....and not getting anywhere near winning it.

I miss the quick fix of Harry redknapp, great team but no future or sherwoods passion on the pitch whilst allowing cliques to form in the dressing room which killed team spirit, all of which was left to poch to sort out for his first season with us.

I miss adebayor, like when he could be arsed to play but put all his energy into high fiving opponents in the tunnel rather than on the pitch.

But yeah get rid of poch, only finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in the last 3 seasons.........get rid of our best manager in over 30 years

Some of us remember losing to Swindon fucking town in the league, going to Oldham and Wimbledon to avoid a relegation scrap......

He is not without fault, he needs to sort some of his team selection out and use his subs wisely but he will learn........but seriously sack him??

Complete cobblers.

I don't think we were that bad last night we certainly weren't great but some on here just exaggerate on a whole new level, we basically nicked a low quality even contest with one moment of quality top teams and sportsmen have been doing it for years.

Shelvey destroyed our midfield? How many goals did that destruction equate to?

Oh how I yearn for the days we lost 6-1 to Bolton.

To log off, just hover over your avatar at the top right, then hit log off on the bottom right.

GIF_image_29.gif

Before poch it was raining trophies was it?

Yeah I really miss the days of finishing 11th or the heady heights of playing in the Europa league under avb....and not getting anywhere near winning it.

I miss the quick fix of Harry redknapp, great team but no future or sherwoods passion on the pitch whilst allowing cliques to form in the dressing room which killed team spirit, all of which was left to poch to sort out for his first season with us.

I miss adebayor, like when he could be arsed to play but put all his energy into high fiving opponents in the tunnel rather than on the pitch.

But yeah get rid of poch, only finished 3rd, 2nd and 3rd in the last 3 seasons.........get rid of our best manager in over 30 years

Some of us remember losing to Swindon fucking town in the league, going to Oldham and Wimbledon to avoid a relegation scrap......

He is not without fault, he needs to sort some of his team selection out and use his subs wisely but he will learn........but seriously sack him??[/QUOTE
Yes sack him before we become so complacent finishing in the top 6 year after year like Woolwich without winning silverware. He has taught us how to keep possession , pass sideways and backwards and become the most boring attacking team in the EPL
Thank goodness we have Erikson to keep the team in balance and make most of the plays and he has not been created by POCH but is certainly keeping him in the job at the moment
If only we had a real manager like Jose Mourinho we would achieve great things .Come on Levy get after him.

Lol!! Get the special one?

We would be looking for a new manager after 3 seasons as that's how long he usually takes to alienate his players and coaches and fans.

A man that creeps up behind people and gouges their eyes, a man that publicly disgraces the team doctor for doing her job?

The man is a see you next Tuesday of the highest order, a narcissistic ego maniac, driven by only by his own vanity.

A man that has won trophies, yes, a man that leaves a mess behind? Yes.

Come back in two seasons if we are still without a trophy.

Back
Top Bottom