Tottenham Hotspur v. Newcastle (9/2/13)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The nature of the PL is tat even the best players get 'found out'... If Verts was still playing at LB now he would be getting outpaced week in, week out. He's not a bad left back by any means, but he has a weakness there and it will be exploited. There was a game where he was really targeted...

Everton...?

The nature of the PL is tat even the best players get 'found out'... If Verts was still playing at LB now he would be getting outpaced week in, week out. He's not a bad left back by any means, but he has a weakness there and it will be exploited. There was a game where he was really targeted...

Everton...?

Yes that's the one, I was trying to remember the one, he was absolutely dog shit in that game. Was that the last time he played there? It was the last game we lost in the league.

Everton certainly aren't scared to pick on a player if they think they can get at him are they... They did a number on him and he looked totally exposed.

I wouldn't want to drop Dawson or Kaboul for Jan so how do you get him in the team? Play him at lb
No disrespect to Daws but he is -- at best --my third choice CB when everyone is healthy. Honestly, I'd probably choose Caulker over him as well.

Verts
Kaboul
Caulker
Dawson
Gallas

I think he is better than ekotto at lb.

You are right that he has said he prefers to play in the middle but he gets paid a lot to do a job of work.

I wouldn't want to drop Dawson or Kaboul for Jan so how do you get him in the team? Play him at lb

If you are so intent on pushing all three into the squad, then perhaps you should be championing three at the back, as we did against the little boys from down the road when Adebayor got sent of. You don't have to shoe horn the players into positions that they aren't there best at, change the formation to suit the players you have got.
This however I don't think is a good idea, except for when chasing the game or against weaker opposition. Lennon would track back cause he is keen, but it would also require Bale to stick left and track back which is not to the benefit of the team, and he ain't gonna do.

I think it makes a massive difference to defenders when they play right centre back and left centre back. Caulker was awful on the right against leeds for example, and looks a lot more solid on the left. So does Vertonghen, Ledley always looked better on the left too.

Dawson, and Kaboul always look alot happier on the right.

Gallas however seems to be able to slot in anywhere and be able to make crazy mitsakes and insane interceptions.

correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe we've lost a game that dawson has started?
also, is it possible that AVB might use kaboul at RB following walkers somewhat dodgy season (although was good yesterday)

correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe we've lost a game that dawson has started?
also, is it possible that AVB might use kaboul at RB following walkers somewhat dodgy season (although was good yesterday)

Kaboul definitely has a fight on to get back in the team that's for certain. Dawson has been playing very well.
I think my feelings on Kaboul at RB are similar to Verts at LB.

If you are so intent on pushing all three into the squad, then perhaps you should be championing three at the back, as we did against the little boys from down the road when Adebayor got sent of. You don't have to shoe horn the players into positions that they aren't there best at, change the formation to suit the players you have got.
This however I don't think is a good idea, except for when chasing the game or against weaker opposition. Lennon would track back cause he is keen, but it would also require Bale to stick left and track back which is not to the benefit of the team, and he ain't gonna do.

I have oft thought of this but as you say it's gonna leave us light at the back and exposed to pace on the flanks. No, I think my back four is the best we could do.

I have oft thought of this but as you say it's gonna leave us light at the back and exposed to pace on the flanks. No, I think my back four is the best we could do.
zBikXuT.gif

Always play your best players in their best positions. Playing them out of position just to get them on the pitch is a waste of time (see: Modric on the left).

As good as Dawson has been of late, I still believe there are some games he's not best suited for, in which case Vertonghen would be the better option. At no point would I think Vertonghen would be better than BAE on the left, so why bother to play him there?

No disrespect to Daws but he is -- at best --my third choice CB when everyone is healthy. Honestly, I'd probably choose Caulker over him as well.

Verts
Kaboul
Caulker
Dawson
Gallas

For me Daws is our best CB.

Kaboul might be better if he returns fully fit and on form, but ATM we don't know that.
Dawson
Verts
Caulker
Gallas

? Kaboul

AVB and Levy got lucky when they wanted to shift Daws out, but he fought for his place.

Daws is a true Spur and one of my favourite players.

I'm a big fan of Dempsey and all credit to him for playing through jet lag for the team.

ATM he's our best striker, but maybe Ade will take that accolade again, but I'll always like Dempsey more than him, of that I'm pretty sure.

I'm a big fan of Holtby too.

For me Daws is our best CB.

Kaboul might be better if he returns fully fit and on form, but ATM we don't know that.
Dawson
Verts
Caulker
Gallas

? Kaboul

AVB and Levy got lucky when they wanted to shift Daws out, but he fought for his place.

Daws is a true Spur and one of my favourite players.

Agree with you there.Even when Kaboul gets back Daws has got to start.

Back
Top Bottom