Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United (19th Aug - 5.30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vicario needs to settle his nerves down in this game. Play with more confidence. He was like a rabbit in the headlights on Sunday. I hope he can handle it. Take a tip from VdV and grow a pair.
For me, there's not much to choose between Sarr & Skippy, but I'd go with the latter, as a marginally more solid, stronger presence - and he's a kangaroo.
Richarlison - get more involved ffs.

This is the game where we should finally see who's been the jinx - Kane or my daughter.

COYFS

Coming up to this with the boy and can’t wait! I’m not usually one for playing players out of position but I would really consider putting Porro in ahead of Kulusevski for this to provide extra cover and pace to get back on the right hand side in front of Emerson, up against Rashford.
Won't Rashford be playing centrally?

Vicario
Royal Romero VDV Udogie
Sarr Bissouma Maddison
Porro Son Solomon

Our front 3 didn't work against Brentford, we need to try something different.
Our front 3 didn't work so you're preference is to stick with the one that played the worst of the lot?

It was 1 game vs Brentford away where we actually dominated for the most part. I very much doubt Ange will make such big changes after 1 game.

Drop Richie now and he will be crushed like a coke can. In the short term, yea it isn't working and we should try something different, but what if that doesn't work either. Richy ain't coming back from being dropped again. In the long term, it makes sense to give him a run of 5 or so games. If he can get going and start scoring, problem solved. He deserves one more run under a new manager in a new system.

I'd go with the same XI that started yesterday, build some chemistry and consistency with the squad. If we made any changes it should be Skipp and Kulu out.

Vicario
Emerson - Romero - Van De Ven - Udogie
Bissouma - Sarr
Kulusevski - Maddison - Son
Richarlison

I trust Kulusevski against Shaw.

Unlike most, I was impressed with how much ground Skipp covered, he looked to me like he did all the dirty work to let Bissouma and Maddison shine, however he hasn't had much rest so I'd play Sarr in this one.

The other part of the team writes itself, even if I'd like to see Perisic or Solomon have a go.

We know for certain though, that it's going to be a wild game. United will be more open than Brentford, but also you'd think more dangerous.

3-2 Tottenham, with the fans being the crucial factor. There is a sense of unity around the club. Unity to prove people wrong (that this isn't the Harry Kane FC), unity to give Ange time, unity in disliking the board.

COYS!

Ange said in an interview yesterday, that they had filled in the wrong form (accidentally on purpose I think), so Romero won't have to sit out 7 days as it wasn't classed as a concussion sub.

Crafty.
As a spurs fan I want Romero to play every minute he can. But this does sit uneasy with me. Head injuries are for real, just look at the NFL, Rugby and (a little out there I know) pro wrestling. Watching how bad multiple concussions in a short time can affect someone is scary. I do trust that Spurs will put his health as the number one priority and I hope the sub was a precaution rather than a reaction to any brain injury.

Despite having a decent game against Brentford, a bit worried about Royal against the pace of Utds counter attack, esp when Rashford drifts over to that side. If Royal had a bit more pace, he'd be a solid RB but I fear this is the type of game where he might get exposed. Hope I'm wrong.

Porro has the pace to get back but not the positional awareness of Royal. Thankfully positional awareness is something that can be taught so I have hope that Porro can become a top attacking right back for us.

Last edited:
It’s actually stupid if he was actually concussed. It’s 14 days in other sports and data shows 7 days is dangerous
Agree, but also what a beast, to bludgeon his way to goal, whilst concussed (which the celebration showed he was).

As a spurs fan I want Romero to play every minute he can. But this does sit uneasy with me. Head injuries are for real, just look at the NFL, Rugby and (a little out there I know) pro wrestling. Watching how bad multiple concussions in a short time can affect someone is scary. I do trust that Spurs will put his health as the number one priority and I hope the sub was a precaution rather than a reaction to any brain injury.
From what I saw, it looked like he was a little dazed rather than a graded concussion. Fine line, I know.

He was allowed to go onto the bench almost immediately after being assessed by the medical team. That wouldn’t have happened if they had any concerns, he would’ve been kept in a quiet place.

Hope he’s ok. Think he should be.

Back
Top Bottom