Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would rather he did his improving in training and let Kane, who is already the real deal, play where he does the most good.
Kane usually drops deep to link up play. His role is not limited to inside the area.
23 of his goals were inside the box last season, but not may in the six yard box. Most of them came from just inside the 18 yard area.
Look at England in the Euro's and see how isolated Kane was when he played 'up front" alone Isolated with ali having to play a different formational role.
If we don't play with Dele then he loses most of his supply. The two produced the most PL goals last season.
I think he had a few today with Janssen playing there. I don't see the problem really.

Sign of a good team to get the win when not playing particularly well according to the old adage.
Some of our players look far from back to their best, but it will come, 3 points and a clean sheet for Vorm will do for now.
That only applies to Chavs, City, Man U, Woolwich and Liverpool

Kane usually drops deep to link up play. His role is not limited to inside the area.
23 of his goals were inside the box last season, but not may in the six yard box. Most of them came from just inside the 18 yard area.
Look at England in the Euro's and see how isolated Kane was when he played 'up front" alone Isolated with ali having to play a different formational role.
If we don't play with Dele then he loses most of his supply. The two produced the most PL goals last season.
I think he had a few today with Janssen playing there. I don't see the problem really.
So play with Dele. He has to find an understanding with Janssen, but he already has one with Dele, and it worked great.

I felt the team still lacked a creative spark in the middle of pitch. Eriksen just does not seem "right" he has so much more ability than he is currently showing and today he should have been 10 yards deeper dictating a bit more than he did, it's harsh perhaps but it's been going on a while he is not as dangerous as he actually is. With that creative spark in the CM / AM role we really would be unplayable, at the moment when the RB/LB are shut off we struggle through the middle and turn over the ball one too many times. This is all harsh critique, Spurs remain an excellent football team overall. That missing corner of the lane looks awful, sad to see that today. The end is neigh.

IMO the PLATFORM is bad. I'm convinced Eriksen and Lamela starting TOGETHER has become a shaky platform. We can no longer rely on those two starving Kane. It's crazy how little of the ball Kane is seeing when these two are pulling our strings.

IMO Eriksen is a victim of our lineup. Not his ability. I think it's chemistry.

Rose, Alli, Kane: Nearly everyone around him has creative and attacking responsibilities. Lamela has had the same issue historically.

We can't all constantly attack. One area is going to be targeted by managers. We get targeted down our wings. Today they held but against better teams away from home they won't. Was this our first clean sheet this year?

IMO whoever is not in form between Lamela and Eriksen should be our backup. It's no shame being backup.

We need more stability. And we need more oomf attacking our set peices and corners. We had what? A dozen corners? Eriksens set peices have been terrible. I've been a huge proponent of him taking our set peices but something is up with his game.

We have depth. Lamela IMO was terrible in the first half in this and against Everton. I think Lamela will play better WITHOUT Eriksen long term. He'll get more of a platform with more robust players like Dembele. And vice verca. Ironically I think Eriksen will play better without Lamela on the pitch. I'm convinced playing the two of them is why our clean sheets had dried up.

IMO if Poch starts without Eriksen and Lamela together our platform will improve drastically. The ball isn't sticking in the final third. Kane is starved. Break them up.

IMO the PLATFORM is bad. I'm convinced Eriksen and Lamela starting TOGETHER has become a shaky platform. We can no longer rely on those two starving Kane. It's crazy how little of the ball Kane is seeing when these two are pulling our strings.

Rose, Alli, Kane: Nearly everyone around him has creative and attacking responsibilities. Lamela has had the same issue historically.

We can't all constantly attack. One area is going to be targeted by managers. We get targeted down our wings. Today they held but against better teams away from home they won't. Was this our first clean sheet this year?

IMO whoever is not in form between Lamela and Eriksen should be our backup. It's no shame being backup.

We need more stability. And we need more oomf attacking our set peices and corners. We had what? A dozen corners? Eriksens set peices have been terrible. I've been a huge proponent of him taking our set peices but something is up with his game.

We have depth. Lamela IMO was terrible in the first half in this and against Everton. I think Lamela will play better WITHOUT Eriksen long term. He'll get more of a platform with more robust players like Dembele. And vice verca. Ironically I think Eriksen will play better without Lamela on the pitch. I'm convinced playing the two of them is why our clean sheets had dried up.

IMO if Poch starts without Eriksen and Lamela together our platform will improve drastically. The ball isn't sticking in the final third. Kane is starved. Break them up.

Nothing to do with Eriksen and Lamela IMO. If you are free in front of goal, which we have been a lot, then score. That's it.

I have absolutely no idea what xG is, or what that picture shows.
It's a map of shot locations.

Bigger squares mean higher probability of the shots being converted.

We created a lot of excellent chances, but were unlucky it took 80 minutes for one to go in. That's football.

What's heartening is the high volume of quality chances. That's a solid sign were doing fine.

The atmosphere wasn't exactly London Derby... more London Day Trippers!
From the wind tunnel that was the Paxton Lower it felt like we were in full "impress us before we start singing" mode...
Unfortunately, that took 83 minutes!

How was it in the Flag Wavin' Park Lane?

This Dier/Waynama partnership seems to be working. Strong defensively and have already contributed a goal. Spurs attack needs to be ruthless on their abundance of chances and things will start really clicking. Eriksen might be the odd man out if his poor form continues. I would definitely swap him for Dele vs Pool next week.

I agree. I also think we need some serious speed training. Alli is faster than Eriksen but still: Kane, Lamela, Alli and Janssen are looking slow as a unit. Dembele coming back is not going help that aspect.

Wanyama seems faster than I remember. Dier is similar to Dembele pace wise.

So for me it's a worry. Perhaps games will up the sharpness/pace aspect but if we sign anyone...I hope it's a speedster.

It's part of the reason why I would not drop Wanyama when Dembele gets back.

IMO we may need to pack midfield to make up for the lack of pace.

Kane scored 25 goals last season with those two pulling the strings. And Eriksen was second in the league for assists last season. What more do you want from an attacking midfielder?

No, there have been several clean sheets in 2016 (most recent were against Stoke and Man United).

Starting with Eriksen and Lamela has worked just fine, why mess with something that's working? And who would you replace them with? Son? Chadli?

EDIT: And as for corners, 1 for 12 isn't bad at all. It's bizarre to see so many fans (of all PL teams) bitching about corners as though the ball should end up in the back of the net every time.

Creepy Joe posting a prediction of mine that came true? I wonder if it even registers that he just did that? Gotta trust ole Gibbsy eh? Lol. When pissy angry man baiting goes wrong. Not interested in derailing match threads with his need for conflict.

Creepy Joe posting a prediction of mine that came true? I wonder if it even registers that he just did that? Gotta trust ole Gibbsy eh? Lol. When pissy angry man baiting goes wrong. Not interested in derailing match threads with his need for conflict.
"A goal is coming" hardly counts as a prediction, nearly every game has at least one goal.

Kane scored 25 goals last season with those two pulling the strings. And Eriksen was second in the league for assists last season. What more do you want from an attacking midfielder?

Eriksen was our main set peice taker. He's a valuable asset to the team. But we won a fuckload of free kicks and corners.

IMO Janssen will score and create as much/perhaps more and will be faster, more robust and help our CURRENT weakness issue. This was the first clean sheet in the prem I can remember. I think I heard the commentator claim that it was our first clean sheet in 2016.

Our first win in 6 prem games came when Eriksen was replaced.

Eriksen and Lamela has been almost a CONSTANT in 2016. And no clean sheets is not what we need to lift the title.

Back
Top Bottom