Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

- Wanyama getting a goal on his home debut and looking much better throughout.

Better than what?

IMO Wanyama was great in his debut. Way to many are zooming in on the free kick that gave the goal away. There was a passage of play that put us under pressure leading to the free kick. And the free kick had to be defended.

Poch understands this. It's why he took off Dier and not Wanyama.

How great is it that Lamela doesn't feel like a liability anymore. I now expect him to control the ball, hold off his man and retain possession more often than not. Only took 3 years.

:lamelashock:

Janssen is still young. One season in the top flight.

If Pochettino can improve him like he has done to most of our young players we may have a very good player on our hands.
He has all the right mental attributes maybe lacks a bit technically but that can be taught. The other stuff he's got cannot.

This Dier/Waynama partnership seems to be working. Strong defensively and have already contributed a goal. Spurs attack needs to be ruthless on their abundance of chances and things will start really clicking. Eriksen might be the odd man out if his poor form continues. I would definitely swap him for Dele vs Pool next week.

Better than what?

IMO Wanyama was great in his debut. Way to many are zooming in on the free kick that gave the goal away. There was a passage of play that put us under pressure leading to the free kick. And the free kick had to be defended.

Poch understands this. It's why he took off Dier and not Wanyama.
Looking much better then what I'd seen at Southampton. He looked nothing more than an average clogger in midfield there last season. He actually showed his quality today.

19 -9 foul count our way: We are still getting stuck in hard good to see!
Opposition need to know we are going to hand it out! So glad Wanyama showed his mettle today!

People already writing off Janssen, jesus
Those people are not only showing that they have little to no knowledge of the game, but are also ridiculous for the fact that they have seen such limited minutes that they are kneejerk idiots too. Not worth the time of day.

There were glimpses of the quick slick passing breaks of last year but also a repeat of the lack of creativity when trying to come at a packed defence.
Yet we were still pretty solid defensively.

Agree, but not nearly enough. Passing accuracy broke down in the final third too much. I didn't see as much closing down on the ball as last season, particularly after a turn over

I felt the team still lacked a creative spark in the middle of pitch. Eriksen just does not seem "right" he has so much more ability than he is currently showing and today he should have been 10 yards deeper dictating a bit more than he did, it's harsh perhaps but it's been going on a while he is not as dangerous as he actually is. With that creative spark in the CM / AM role we really would be unplayable, at the moment when the RB/LB are shut off we struggle through the middle and turn over the ball one too many times. This is all harsh critique, Spurs remain an excellent football team overall. That missing corner of the lane looks awful, sad to see that today. The end is neigh.

Just got back. Should have won by more. I thought Janssen and Wanyama were good. Lamela is in god mode at the moment. It was very encouraging as we created a lot of chances. And Kane got an assist!

Agree, but not nearly enough. Passing accuracy broke down in the final third too much. I didn't see as much closing down on the ball as last season, particularly after a turn over
Yes. Rustiness and match fitness. That will improve.
We are also a completely different team in midfield with Dembele in regards to closing down the ball when we lose it.
We had Kane playing where Dele would have too and Dele usually does a lot of it box to box.
Wanyama had a decent game and he has deputised for Dembele admirably so far.

Janssen is still young. One season in the top flight.

If Pochettino can improve him like he has done to most of our young players we may have a very good player on our hands.
He has all the right mental attributes maybe lacks a bit technically but that can be taught. The other stuff he's got cannot.
I would rather he did his improving in training and let Kane, who is already the real deal, play where he does the most good.

To be fair to Townsend: Given his run-in with a Spurs trainer during the warm down when he was with us...after this defeat he's learned from his mistakes and he had a good warm down at WHL.

Sign of a good team to get the win when not playing particularly well according to the old adage.
Some of our players look far from back to their best, but it will come, 3 points and a clean sheet for Vorm will do for now.

Back
Top Bottom