Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (7/12/19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some bellend behind me was saying how little Alli did and how he made no contribution. 2 assists obviously passed him by. It was all about the response today. At it from the from whistle. Which is what we have all been crying out for. :mourear:

Great response to the no-show in the week, in fact, the only response as it was everything that Wed wasn't.

Special callouts for Dier who apart from getting caught in possession by J Rod that led to an attack I thought he had a very solid game, positionally excellent, making the right choices of when to stand a player up of engaging them, played some sweet passes too. I've called Lucas out for his off the ball work but today he put in a shift so only right to mention it when it's good and I thought Vertonghen had a super game all round.

Sonny's goal will be played for years to come.

I think this paragraph from Squawka basically summarizes Kane and Sonny.

"But sometimes the easy option isn’t the right option. Kane would have made the pass. Not because he’s boring, but because he does the right thing. He makes the smart plays. He is utterly world-class but in a very defined way. Son, on the other hand, is a maverick. Heung-min Son does stupid things sometimes because Heung-min Son has the talent to make stupid things work."

More like channeling his anger and frustration for not getting the ball from Dele on the previous play which would have been an easy goal for sure
Probably so, but I looked at the replay again and Dele was just about to play the pass with the outside of his right foot when it got poked away. Too bad. But all's well that ends well.

Fantastic performance! We’ll have tougher tests than Burnley, but nevertheless, that was awesome.

The clean sheet is the icing on the cake.

Still need reinforcements in Jan to improve the defensive positions but Chelsea showed today that they are far from the finished article. We can catch them and ManU at least if we do.

Probably so, but I looked at the replay again and Dele was just about to play the pass with the outside of his right foot when it got poked away. Too bad. But all's well that ends well.
If you look at it again you will see Dele had about 2 full seconds to pass to Son before he got poked. 2 seconds almost forever in those type of moments. It would been 3:0 right there and then game over already. Burnley could have put 1 or even 2 after being 2:0 and gotten right back to the game. I am sure everythings ok when things go well right?

We win, score five, concede none and this thread is only 52 pages, why? Because once you get pass the pre match 'brains-trust' telling us Son and Lucas don't press, Kane should be dropped, Dier and Moussa can't play football and you get into the match itself our resident super fans (we all know who you are) had absolutely nothing to whine and whinge about ... page after page of pure joy and celebration ... what a pleasant change.

We won a game 5-0 with less than 50% possession, it's the same players but a massive tactical change from the Poch era ... Poch was very good but he wasn't Jose good, you don't win >20 trophies by being a bad manager let's hope he once again proves that.

Last edited:
Great response to the no-show in the week, in fact, the only response as it was everything that Wed wasn't.

Special callouts for Dier who apart from getting caught in possession by J Rod that led to an attack I thought he had a very solid game, positionally excellent, making the right choices of when to stand a player up of engaging them, played some sweet passes too. I've called Lucas out for his off the ball work but today he put in a shift so only right to mention it when it's good and I thought Vertonghen had a super game all round.

Sonny's goal will be played for years to come.

Once I felt the game was mostly safe, I tried to watch Dier only. He had a kind of Davids-crossed-with-Carrick look. A mixture of deterrent to the opposition’s front two and some quietly efficient, unflashy right-place-right-time breakup play and short passes to quickly reestablish dominance in possession.

Not perfect, not exactly world class, but efficient.

The question to me is: why? Why exactly is this something we seem to need more than other midfield pairings? Is it height and size over Winks (Dier is a very good header of long balls, you’ll note) or defensive positioning learned by playing across the back line? Hmmm....

Once I felt the game was mostly safe, I tried to watch Dier only. He had a kind of Davids-crossed-with-Carrick look. A mixture of deterrent to the opposition’s front two and some quietly efficient, unflashy right-place-right-time breakup play and short passes to quickly reestablish dominance in possession.

Not perfect, not exactly world class, but efficient.

The question to me is: why? Why exactly is this something we seem to need more than other midfield pairings? Is it height and size over Winks (Dier is a very good header of long balls, you’ll note) or defensive positioning learned by playing across the back line? Hmmm....
Dier is a solid player, feeds of confidence as well I think. The poor element to his game is he's easily pressed into an error but when he has time on the ball and those around him are moving to receive the ball his OK. The other thing he can't do is catch an attack if one breaks behind him (Dembele used to cover all these off when the two played together previously), I didn't notice it today but perhaps that Sissoko was tasked with that as he can cover the ground. But he's good in the air and reads the game very well.

Not sure if the following have been bigged up already (I've seen the praise for Dier, Moura and Jan, well deserved, Kane and Sonny's goes without saying) but I thought Sissoko and Toby were also outstanding today.

Even those who weren't "stellar" today - Dele, Serge, Davinson, Gazza (who had precious little to do) - all deserve our love too.

In short, YIDS

I think this paragraph from Squawka basically summarizes Kane and Sonny.

"But sometimes the easy option isn’t the right option. Kane would have made the pass. Not because he’s boring, but because he does the right thing. He makes the smart plays. He is utterly world-class but in a very defined way. Son, on the other hand, is a maverick. Heung-min Son does stupid things sometimes because Heung-min Son has the talent to make stupid things work."

gotta disagree with the son stuff..complete horseshit...he doesn't do stupid...he does audacious

Back
Top Bottom