Tottenham Hotspur v Bayern Munich (01-10-19) (20:00)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Imagine saying 5 months ago that half the fan base don’t want Eriksen in the starting 11 for the likes of Bayern.

Times change..
If we were playing 4-2-3-1 then i'd play him for sure in behind Kane. But Poch seems persistent with the diamond and against someone like Bayern, Eriksen doesn't fit into that kinda midfield for me. Like i said he'll still more than likely play where i've put Lucas.. Lucas is just my preference in a game where we're going to be relying on swift counter attacks.

jjFjaWQ.jpg

Gazza, Davies, Sanchez, Wanayama, Alli, Eriksen, Kane

HH... is that you?

Lewandowski has started the season on fire so will be a real tough test for whom ever our centre halves are

I do have a sneaky feeling we’ll win though, under the lights at the lane against a European giant, we’ll kick into gear

I think that playing the same midfield of Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele is a massive mistake. It is not balanced and we cannot manage transitions properly with it, none of those three have a natural defensive instinct and are always reacting to the opponents play rather than being preemptive. They run hard and try to make recovering challenges but I never feel secure defensively with that set up, it never feels like there is any real protection for our defenders. We are always chasing rather than doing a solid screening job like we used to.

Olympiacos were walking through our midfield with complete freedom as did almost all our other opponents, with the quality Bayern have in the centre we need to play sensibly. Put Dier in there, let him play as a third CB/CDM and lets try and play smart football on the break.

So far this season we are still trying to play the football from the Dembele era but it simply doesn’t work with the current lineup. We looked better against Southampton playing with 10 men rather than when we had 11, because we had to defend first and be solid and then look to use the spaces. We need to play like that more often as that is what suits us now. Trying to play fancy football with Sissoko in Dembele’s position and Winks as our Wanyama/Dier equivalent is just daft.
I agree with the fact that we aren't balanced enough in midfield, and we need a DM to give us back some midfield control.

However I don't think we currently have that player in this squad. We used to have two of those players, Dier and Wanyama. Both of which I no longer trust in any form or capacity.

It's very tempting for us to imagine that Dier will all of a sudden regain the form he had in the 16/17 season, but just like Wanyama the evidence says otherwise. He was personally responsible for so many silly stray passes that resulted in shots on target for the opposition (mo salah at Anfield being one).

He had deteriorated way before he had any injury troubles. . . he began to hide from the ball because he was scared of messing up.

I want to believe he can regain form but i don't think throwing him in to Bayern after being out so long is a good idea mate.

This is a tough line up to pick. Maybe Lucas gets a start since he was the magic man in the CL last season? Also is Aurier suspended?

Hugo
Aurier-Toby-Jan-Rose
Sissoko-Winks-Ndomble
Lamela
Lucas-Kane

I think that playing the same midfield of Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele is a massive mistake. It is not balanced and we cannot manage transitions properly with it, none of those three have a natural defensive instinct and are always reacting to the opponents play rather than being preemptive. They run hard and try to make recovering challenges but I never feel secure defensively with that set up, it never feels like there is any real protection for our defenders. We are always chasing rather than doing a solid screening job like we used to.

Olympiacos were walking through our midfield with complete freedom as did almost all our other opponents, with the quality Bayern have in the centre we need to play sensibly. Put Dier in there, let him play as a third CB/CDM and lets try and play smart football on the break.

So far this season we are still trying to play the football from the Dembele era but it simply doesn’t work with the current lineup. We looked better against Southampton playing with 10 men rather than when we had 11, because we had to defend first and be solid and then look to use the spaces. We need to play like that more often as that is what suits us now. Trying to play fancy football with Sissoko in Dembele’s position and Winks as our Wanyama/Dier equivalent is just daft.
Top post

Back
Top Bottom