Tottenham Hotspur - Financials

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We definitely need Woolwich to keep missing out on the champions league, kronke isn’t going to invest in them whilst they are stumping up nearly half the cash for their new stadium in LA. It will really hit them and benefit us in the short to medium term.

LOL at Man City and PSG being in that list though with their accounting processes. Apart from them and Chelsea everyone else in that list pretty much (in England anyway) lives off what they earn. I suspect it will take a couple of years for us to really see the benefit of the new stadium and if we can keep in the champions league places there is no reason why we can’t jump up that list. We just now need to match it in the transfer market and on the pitch. Easier said than done of course.

yeah I appreciate that, but the reason I’m not using figures is because my argument is not based on the figures but behaviour.
Anyway thanks for running the numbers and coming to the same conclusion. There will be a deficit. I was talking about the following year too with no CL. So the deficit will be larger then. Still big numbers for our club though, giving us the potential to invest... certainly, however I believe Levy will base the investment on the more certain elements of our income, probably discounting CL revenues completely for instance, so we are not left in a position where failure to qualify will leave us in trouble. He’s probably already patting himself on the back regarding not investing more in the current squad for the same reasoning, only to be proven right in a self fulfilling prophecy.

investing in the squad this Christmas makes perfect sense, I agree. However there have been numerous occasions in the past where it made perfect sense and didn’t materialise.
Based on past history, we are far more likely to do nothing than make the necessary investment.

Mate, I am trying to hold some kind of reasonable discussion. Stop twisting my words. I am starting to lose respect for you like this.

I never said "there will be a deficit". Never.
I pointed out only the specific impact of CL final run to our finances compared to previous years. And I pointed out sources that will certainly offset those. Those were just some that I remembered, this was not conclusive list.

I find it quite likely that we will repeat if not exceed current season revenue next season as well.

And what considers next season - nothing is over. There are 16 games to be played. 48 points still to play for and currently we are 15 behind Leicester; 9 behind Chelsea; 4 behind ManU; 2 behind Sheffield; 1 behind Wolves. We have to overtake all of them except 1. Its hard, but it's possible. Just like with this - we don't know outcome of CL either. I doubt many of us expected to make it to finals last season.

Whats the Levy take on this is up for air - you have "a belief" that can go totally off the mark. I can present "my belief" , these are some scenarios and well... beliefs. Point I was making, is that in past 5 years we have not been in such circumstances as now, and when situation has changed it might also call forward different kind of reaction/response. What will happen - time will tell.

Mate, I am trying to hold some kind of reasonable discussion. Stop twisting my words. I am starting to lose respect for you like this.

I never said "there will be a deficit". Never.
I pointed out only the specific impact of CL final run to our finances compared to previous years. And I pointed out sources that will certainly offset those. Those were just some that I remembered, this was not conclusive list.

I find it quite likely that we will repeat if not exceed current season revenue next season as well.

And what considers next season - nothing is over. There are 16 games to be played. 48 points still to play for and currently we are 15 behind Leicester; 9 behind Chelsea; 4 behind ManU; 2 behind Sheffield; 1 behind Wolves. We have to overtake all of them except 1. Its hard, but it's possible. Just like with this - we don't know outcome of CL either. I doubt many of us expected to make it to finals last season.

Whats the Levy take on this is up for air - you have "a belief" that can go totally off the mark. I can present "my belief" , these are some scenarios and well... beliefs. Point I was making, is that in past 5 years we have not been in such circumstances as now, and when situation has changed it might also call forward different kind of reaction/response. What will happen - time will tell.

you did say ‘Leaving our deficit to 16 mEUR...’ but fair enough mate👍 Time will tell as you say.

This figure of £460m - is that an informed estimate or quoted directly from the club? I haven't seen them formally release the 18/19 financial statements yet.

Deloitte Money List out - Top London Club for the first time since the EPL began.

deloitte-football-money-league-2020.jpg

Liverpool are going to entrench themselves in the United/City bracket with their new kit deal.

The Top 6 will be two groups of 3 with the northern clubs in the higher tier and the London clubs in the lower one.

Our Profit numbers for the last 5 years alone are as follows:

2018 - £113m

2017 - £36m

2016 - £33m

2015 - £9m

2014 - £65m

Total just from the last 5 years alone - £256m

If we look at the revenue of £521.1m released today (in 2018 our revenue was £380m so we have absolutely battered that) I think it's safe to assume that we'll be looking at an overall profit of maybe £150m or so (always hard to guess but with player sales/ purchases I'm pretty sure £150m is a good guess.

Even without the added revenue of top 4 next season the club will be sitting on about £406m. We've safeguarded that should it be required and as BangkokSpud BangkokSpud has mentioned if we don't spend we fall backwards. Can anyone genuinely see Levy being satisfied with the brand taking a hit as we try and launch over revenue streams via the NFL and Stadium etc?

We'll spend, the idea that we are looking at a £45m or so option in Gedson Fernandes, a kid who's played twice this season it seems points towards doing so also.
Running a CL club on a EL budget will result in those profits. We are now in a position to spend like the Chelsea's and Woolwich's of the world.

One thing to point out about those profit numbers are that they are inflated due to the costs of the stadium being capitalized (if it cost 1 billion, that cost will be spread out over say 20 years, rather than all 1 billion coming in a single year). However, that 1 billion was actually paid, it's just spread out for accounting purposes.

you did say ‘Leaving our deficit to 16 mEUR...’ but fair enough mate👍 Time will tell as you say.

Meaning only from those sources that I brought out.
Those measurable and concrete ones, leaving out potential other sources like stadium sponsorship deal; potential sleeve sponsorship deal; potential organic growth from commercial activities etc. As you called out those as "hypothetical / theoretical" ;) .

Running a CL club on a EL budget will result in those profits. We are now in a position to spend like the Chelsea's and Woolwich's of the world.

I agree yes but you have to look at the flip side. We compete for four Champions League slots in the most competitive league in the world regarding those four positions. Liverpool are incredible st the moment, Man U one of the wealthiest money spinners, Man City owned by someone with silly bollocks money and Chelsea owned by a guy who has nonchalantly forked out a fortune, along with the £240m loan he gave them last year. We have Woolwich who despite us overtaking the, in revenue this year financially dominated us since what was it 1997 that kind of time? Plus we have new money clubs like Leicester, Everton and Wolves (owners are insanely rich) and even the likes of Sheffield zunited these days, owned by either King or Prince Abdullah so you know where they are heading.

We all have our own opinions on the matter, some say spend, some say be prudent but to be cautious with spending whereby you don't have to sell at a discount to stay in the black just makes sense to me.

Be ambitious yes but then I see a commitment to spending up to c£150m in the summer as being ambitious (£62m for Ndombele, c£50m Lo Celso, C£25m Sessegnon, £10m Clarke) as being so. Investment is required but I just don't see how we can focus on mad spending like others do due to their circumstances.

The revenue made this year is skewed by our run to the final, that's probably aced a further £30m-£40m onto what we expected so we can't commit to long term purchases + wages like it is a given this will occur each season. I think we need to be braced for a 2-3 year building spell, to go and buy 4-5 big players at once just comes with too much risk.

yeah I appreciate that, but the reason I’m not using figures is because my argument is not based on the figures but behaviour.
Anyway thanks for running the numbers and coming to the same conclusion. There will be a deficit. I was talking about the following year too with no CL. So the deficit will be larger then. Still big numbers for our club though, giving us the potential to invest... certainly, however I believe Levy will base the investment on the more certain elements of our income, probably discounting CL revenues completely for instance, so we are not left in a position where failure to qualify will leave us in trouble. He’s probably already patting himself on the back regarding not investing more in the current squad for the same reasoning, only to be proven right in a self fulfilling prophecy.

investing in the squad this Christmas makes perfect sense, I agree. However there have been numerous occasions in the past where it made perfect sense and didn’t materialise.
Based on past history, we are far more likely to do nothing than make the necessary investment.
Yeah I too am surprised so many feel if we have lots to spend on players then we would. Loads of occasions we have needed 1 or 2 players to get us to the next level & each time we chose not to go ahead. You got to admire the faith some have in our owners & their main incentives. But I strongly feel they will never do what's required to make that next step. We were meant to be gradually improving to then become winners that's what I was told. Closing the gap. But now we feel further away from the the likes of city & Liverpool than we have for quite a few years. We seem to be going backwards.

I agree yes but you have to look at the flip side. We compete for four Champions League slots in the most competitive league in the world regarding those four positions. Liverpool are incredible st the moment, Man U one of the wealthiest money spinners, Man City owned by someone with silly bollocks money and Chelsea owned by a guy who has nonchalantly forked out a fortune, along with the £240m loan he gave them last year. We have Woolwich who despite us overtaking the, in revenue this year financially dominated us since what was it 1997 that kind of time? Plus we have new money clubs like Leicester, Everton and Wolves (owners are insanely rich) and even the likes of Sheffield zunited these days, owned by either King or Prince Abdullah so you know where they are heading.

We all have our own opinions on the matter, some say spend, some say be prudent but to be cautious with spending whereby you don't have to sell at a discount to stay in the black just makes sense to me.

Be ambitious yes but then I see a commitment to spending up to c£150m in the summer as being ambitious (£62m for Ndombele, c£50m Lo Celso, C£25m Sessegnon, £10m Clarke) as being so. Investment is required but I just don't see how we can focus on mad spending like others do due to their circumstances.

The revenue made this year is skewed by our run to the final, that's probably aced a further £30m-£40m onto what we expected so we can't commit to long term purchases + wages like it is a given this will occur each season. I think we need to be braced for a 2-3 year building spell, to go and buy 4-5 big players at once just comes with too much risk.
I don't disagree, but we need a better organizational structure to support these efforts in my view. We have not had a coherent transfer policy in place for some time, or it least it seems that way, last summer notwithstanding.

Mousa Dembele, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Jan Vertonghen, Erik Lamela, Chirstian Eriksen, Hugo Lloris and Harry Kane were all here before Poch was hired.

Eric Dier and Ben Davies arrived before Poch's first game and Dele was bought in January his first year. Son Heung-min, Toby Alderweireld, and Kieren Trippier the summer after that in 2015.

Harry Winks was an academy product and basically the only one Poch successfully brought into the first team in five years.

After the summer of 2015, we have bought 3(!) players that are regulars today: Sanchez, Sissoko and Lucas. Over seven windows. We also never properly replaced Walker or Dembele until it was far too late. The rosters of City, Liverpool, etc.. look nothing like they did 5-6 years ago.

This is a combination of multiple factors (Levy, Poch, scouting, structure, etc..), but really what it means is that we don't have the personnel to manage a club of this size when it comes to player acquisition. The only way to survive without the extra money from the Champions League, both prize and sponsors, is to recruit better and we don't seem to have a strategy to do that.

I thought we would wait until the end of the season at least to here your annual address to the fan's Mr chairman. :troll:

I don't disagree, but we need a better organizational structure to support these efforts in my view. We have not had a coherent transfer policy in place for some time, or it least it seems that way, last summer notwithstanding.

Mousa Dembele, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Jan Vertonghen, Erik Lamela, Chirstian Eriksen, Hugo Lloris and Harry Kane were all here before Poch was hired.

Eric Dier and Ben Davies arrived before Poch's first game and Dele was bought in January his first year. Son Heung-min, Toby Alderweireld, and Kieren Trippier the summer after that in 2015.

Harry Winks was an academy product and basically the only one Poch successfully brought into the first team in five years.

After the summer of 2015, we have bought 3(!) players that are regulars today: Sanchez, Sissoko and Lucas. Over seven windows. We also never properly replaced Walker or Dembele until it was far too late. The rosters of City, Liverpool, etc.. look nothing like they did 5-6 years ago.

This is a combination of multiple factors (Levy, Poch, scouting, structure, etc..), but really what it means is that we don't have the personnel to manage a club of this size when it comes to player acquisition. The only way to survive without the extra money from the Champions League, both prize and sponsors, is to recruit better and we don't seem to have a strategy to do that.

I agree, I personally feel we have held onto certain players for far too long instead of either selling at peak time or moving them on when it was clear they didn't have sufficient magic worth persevering with (Lamela, Aurier, Trippier etc)

I think we fell into a trap made by outsiders and the media. We refused to be seen as a selling club as we wanted to prove we were a big team these days and all that happened was players got older, more stale and depreciated in value. A team like us should have shit hot players and shit hot potential busting st the seams. Players like Maddison, Ndidi etc should be swelling our ranks ahead of mid 20 year old players who have clearly hit their ceiling. We stood still and thus ended up moving backwards. I was OK with our first team not getting major work done but I completely disagreed with fringe players not adding massive value being a part of it instead of moving them on and making space for ones with potential. The Wimmer/ Foyth (or Sanchez, however you want to see it) should have been how we moved on and shipped in at least 2 times a season. We cut too many corners and flooded too many dead horses and when the stars of the team weren't performing as much it hit us twice as hard due to inferior quality to draft in as and when.

https://talksport.com/football/6552...ue-2020-list-2010-Woolwich-chelsea-tottenham/

15th in 2010 – Tottenham – £113m

8th in 2020 – Tottenham– £446.84m

We will probably smash the world record again for pure profit, money that hasn't to this very day been taken out of the club in dividends or share payments it seems.

In a decade we have increased our revenue by pretty much 400% yearly. That's pretty astonishing. (please anyone looking at this take into account the key word being REVENUE, it bares no reflection on the money the club spends and factually we have found/ developed ways to increase this by 400% which is top stuff by the guys off the field even if you dislike or disagree with things on the field at present, it leaves us extremely healthy which is a far cry from the 90s when we were very nearly done for as a club)

I agree, I personally feel we have held onto certain players for far too long instead of either selling at peak time or moving them on when it was clear they didn't have sufficient magic worth persevering with (Lamela, Aurier, Trippier etc)

I think we fell into a trap made by outsiders and the media. We refused to be seen as a selling club as we wanted to prove we were a big team these days and all that happened was players got older, more stale and depreciated in value. A team like us should have shit hot players and shit hot potential busting st the seams. Players like Maddison, Ndidi etc should be swelling our ranks ahead of mid 20 year old players who have clearly hit their ceiling. We stood still and thus ended up moving backwards. I was OK with our first team not getting major work done but I completely disagreed with fringe players not adding massive value being a part of it instead of moving them on and making space for ones with potential. The Wimmer/ Foyth (or Sanchez, however you want to see it) should have been how we moved on and shipped in at least 2 times a season. We cut too many corners and flooded too many dead horses and when the stars of the team weren't performing as much it hit us twice as hard due to inferior quality to draft in as and when.
There were reports that Poch was not interested in basically all the players you listed above. I'd add Tielemens to that list. Levy deserves blame for not hiring a DoF but Poch had massive control over player recruitment during his tenure and it reflects poorly on his talent evaluation. The fact that promising youngsters were never sent on loan was also a huge issue.

Back
Top Bottom