Tottenham Hotspur - Financials

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yikes Everton

At least we are not in a situation like that.

We weren't stupid enough to hire Roberto Martinez, and continue to back him as we went from possible Champions League contenders to a club not able to make it out of the bottom half, although hiring AVB was almost as bad.

Champions of the balance sheet in London! We can raise the Q1 on the final day of the season and feel proud

"8th in the Deloitte league, you'll never sing that"

spurs-fans-singing-arms-air-newcastle-united-nufc-650x400-1.jpg

leaves us extremely healthy which is a far cry from the 90s when we were very nearly done for as a club)

We were one the most dominant financial clubs in the ‘90s.

At the start of the PL we we virtually on par with Liverpool as the club with the second biggest turnover in the league and still had the 4th highest by turnover in the league in 96.

We have only just managed to get to 4th now and it has taken us to get to a CL final to achieve that.

We are weaker financially against those clubs than we were in the ‘90s as we are reliant on variable income streams to achieve this and the likes of Woolwich and Liverpool whose natural revenues is closest to ours last are league ahead in their commercial deals ( notably their new kit deals which haven’t been accounted for in these latest figures)

At the start of the PL we we virtually on par with Liverpool as the club with the second biggest turnover in the league and still had the 4th highest by turnover in the league in 96.

We have only just managed to get to 4th now and it has taken us to get to a CL final to achieve that.

We are weaker financially against those clubs than we were in the ‘90s as we are reliant on variable income streams to achieve this and the likes of Woolwich and Liverpool whose natural revenues is closest to ours last are league ahead in their commercial deals ( notably their new kit deals which haven’t been accounted for in these latest figures)

Youre correct but dont be so negative

We've always been a big club but as I did state we were in a mess in the 90s at some stage Hood:

In 1991, Spurs, due to appalling financial mismanagement, were pounds 20m in debt, facing bankruptcy, or, worse, takeover by Robert Maxwell. The team manager, Terry Venables, who had ambitions to own a club, saw his chance. He would bring in a sleeping partner to bankroll a bid.

As a comparative to the two clubs you've highlighted, Woolwich and Liverpool we have definitely achieved a lot of growth in comparison:

https://talksport.com/football/6552...ue-2020-list-2010-Woolwich-chelsea-tottenham/

Woolwich 2010 - 5th - £224m
Woolwich 2020 - 11th - £382.1m

Liverpool 2010 - 7th - £184.8m
Liverpool 2020 - 7th - £518.53m

Tottenham 2010 - 15th - £113m
Tottenham - 2020 - 8th - £446.84m

Woolwich have dropped 6 places and are 1.7x better off financially

Liverpool have stayed the same position wise and are 2.8x better off financially

Tottenham have gone up 7 places position wise (only Man City jumped up more places for obvious reasons) and we are just shy of 4x better off)

As you said we aren't as well off collectively as those two clubs highlited but we've been playing catch up commercially for some time now. Competing financially is half the battle these days and whilst it's been a while it's impressive when people consider that tonight Everton are announcing losses of £111.9m for the past calendar year.

If we like it or not we had to play catch up and I see 4x more revenue streams in one decade as a really impressive financial feat. Each to their own and all that but off the field we have set things up very well co pared to years gone by.

It is hard to argue when I quote numbers and sources and you are talking about belief. I admit, I am not able to give you 100% precise numbers. Yet those are stances that professionals who analyse if for living support (did you even open the Football Money league publication?) - both potential sources were added there as well.

As I pointed out - last year CL run gave us around 55 mil more revenue than in 2 previous years.
I already pointed out (in later edit) how we already have recouped 7 mil from this in current season, leaving gap to 48 mil EUR.

Analysts believe that full season in new stadium will push our matchday revenue over 100 mil barrier. This will mean 21,5 mil increase from current year figures. That leaves 26,5 mil to make up for. If we as much as surpass Leipzig RB (not impossible, not granted) to get to QF of CL this would mean additional 10,5mi. Leaving our deficit to 16 mEUR...

So no, we ain't gonna fall off the cliff. No our revenue will not decrease currently so much.
Yes, there would be implications if we miss out next year CL though, I admit that. Also that is why I am saying that it would make sense from business view to invest into squad in Jan to try to push for retaining CL spot.
yeah I appreciate that, but the reason I’m not using figures is because my argument is not based on the figures but behaviour.
Anyway thanks for running the numbers and coming to the same conclusion. There will be a deficit. I was talking about the following year too with no CL. So the deficit will be larger then. Still big numbers for our club though, giving us the potential to invest... certainly, however I believe Levy will base the investment on the more certain elements of our income, probably discounting CL revenues completely for instance, so we are not left in a position where failure to qualify will leave us in trouble. He’s probably already patting himself on the back regarding not investing more in the current squad for the same reasoning, only to be proven right in a self fulfilling prophecy.

investing in the squad this window makes perfect sense, I agree. However there have been numerous occasions in the past where it made perfect sense and didn’t materialise.
Based on past history, we are far more likely to do nothing than make the necessary investment.

Agree there will be a drop in revenues if we fail to qualify for CL next year, however worth saying that Spurs have the 3rd largest conference and exhibition. Spaces in London.

It takes several years to win business from other venues and get the as regulars at the Spurs stadium. So there will be significant growth next year, not enough to counteract the loss if CL revenues (and I don't think anyone independent has forecast any numbers in it yet. Equally we can hold (I think) 26 non football events ) and next season maybe the first time we actually do that, so again a growing revenues stream.

With additional food and beverage from attendees at conferences/exhibitions and no. Football events it's not impossible to believe of several tens of millions of pounds, perhaps £50m new revenues next season which would help fill the hole if we don't get CL income.

We've always been a big club but as I did state we were in a mess in the 90s at some stage Hood:

In 1991, Spurs, due to appalling financial mismanagement, were pounds 20m in debt, facing bankruptcy, or, worse, takeover by Robert Maxwell. The team manager, Terry Venables, who had ambitions to own a club, saw his chance. He would bring in a sleeping partner to bankroll a bid.

As a comparative to the two clubs you've highlighted, Woolwich and Liverpool we have definitely achieved a lot of growth in comparison:

Woolwich 2010 - 5th - £224m
Woolwich 2020 - 11th - £382.1m

Liverpool 2010 - 7th - £184.8m
Liverpool 2020 - 7th - £518.53m

Tottenham 2010 - 15th - £113m
Tottenham - 2020 - 8th - £446.84m

Woolwich have dropped 6 places and are 1.7x better off financially

Liverpool have stayed the same position wise and are 2.8x better off financially

Tottenham have gone up 7 places position wise (only Man City jumped up more places for obvious reasons) and we are just shy of 4x better off)

As you said we aren't as well off collectively as those two clubs highlited but we've been playing catch up commercially for some time now. Competing financially is half the battle these days and whilst it's been a while it's impressive when people consider that tonight Everton are announcing losses of £111.9m for the past calendar year.

If we like it or not we had to play catch up and I see 4x more revenue streams in one decade as a really impressive financial feat. Each to their own and all that but off the field we have set things up very well co pared to years gone by.

Our financial issues pretty much resolved the moment Sugar took over which were a legacy from the ‘80s. We weren’t financially hamstrung from ‘92 onwards and my point still applies - we were one of the biggest clubs by revenue in the league, stronger than we are now.

As for bridging the gap between ourselves and Liverpool and Woolwich. The scope was always there with the stadium and CL - both those clubs were consistent CL qualifiers in that time frame and Woolwich had moved into their new stadium. We had neither. We won’t have any scope for increasing our revenue to anything close to that degree and if there isn’t a significant improvement in our commercial actives ( our kit deal is a complete disaster in comparison to those clubs) we could easily find ourselves falling behind again.

Why there is so much focus is on the financials I don’t quite grasp, we seem to be doing well, but it’s still not really showing investment the playing squad depth or youth level squad depths.

I would love a financial junkie to confirm how much football revenue has been diverted to pay for non footballing activity under ENIC. that seems to almost never get mentioned.

I’m not looking to bash ENIC, just honestly interested as to how honest this all is.

Why there is so much focus is on the financials I don’t quite grasp, we seem to be doing well, but it’s still not really showing investment the playing squad depth or youth level squad depths.

I would love a financial junkie to confirm how much football revenue has been diverted to pay for non footballing activity under ENIC. that seems to almost never get mentioned.

I’m not looking to bash ENIC, just honestly interested as to how honest this all is.

Briefly, based on Companies House on 2017 we had £308m in revenue of which £36m was retained as profit and in 2018 we had £380m in revenue of which £112m of profit was retained.

With revenue at roughly £450m this year and with extra spent on wages, transfer fees spent in the summer, the stadium costs etc we could be looking at roughly £150m of that £450m revenue being retained as profit for the coffers/ for a rainy day. That's just a forecast at the moment as the final accounts for 2019 aren't out yet.

All on the below link if you want to crunch things to see:

tv revenue will reduce with our lower performance and we seem to be asking way too much for the sponsorhip deals or they would have been in place when we were full of momentum and positivity. Now we are a much less certain looking investment (performance wise), so the crazy money will be even harder to come by.

Given we have no evidence extra sponsorship will magically appear your maths would agree we’ll be at a deficit vs this year

I don’t mean unfounded vs the actual figures but vs what Levy will do. Obviously we are generating more than we ever have before and that won’t suddenly disappear next season, though it will decline.

we have monumentally failed to capitalise on the momentum of the new stadium, consecutive CL campaigns and a CL final, a hugely pivotal time in our history and we fluffed the big opportunity, I see nothing to suggest we’ll suddenly pull it round.

Fuck me another boring cunt slagging Levy ......

Absolutely baffles me how anyone supporting our club can't see where we've come from 10 years ago to now and what the future will bring. That's down to Levy, the guy should be hailed as a messiah for what he's done for the club.

Only a moron can't see that Levy has played a masterstroke with the clubs finances to ensure the debt won't cripple the club and future earnings will bring the keys to success. Fuck short termism, so what if we might have won a league cup or even UEFA in the last 5 years if we'd spunked another £200 million. We'd have paid for it over the next 5 or 10 years having less funds going forward. Who's to say that £200 million would have been spent wisely, Poch hardly pulled up trees with his signings.

Seriously go learn simple economics and try understand how the seeds have been sown for years and years of success through investment you daft cunt.

If you can't grasp trophies, grasp a balance sheet. No rules against putting balance sheets in trophy cabinets.

What absolute bollocks .... we we virtually on par with Liverpool ... Liverpool have had over 1.5 billion more income than us since the formation of the Premier League. Even back in the 90's their turnover was 50% more than ours ... by 2008 they had broken through 200m we didn't manage that until 2013

In 1997/8 the first time Deloitte did a survey Liverpool were ranked 10th on 45m we were just in the top twenty on 31m (behind Villa, Rangers, and level with Leeds) we were only 8th in the UK.

Liverpool have been in the top ten rich list every year bar one since it started back in 1997/8 ... we've managed that just once, and that was yesterday.

But hey - you go with "at the start of the PL we we virtually on par with Liverpool" whatever fantasy makes you happy.

In fairness we bought 2 50m+ players last summer that were wanted by other big clubs. We paid kane 300k a week to re sign. Signed Alderweireld to 150k a week. Signed Mourinho (greates manager of last 15 years) for 15m a year.

Can you not see the difference?

In old WHL these players would have moved on like Berbs, Modders etc...

Weve only lost Eriksen so far, and that was because he fancied another culture. Not because a bigger club came in.

You just have to deal with the fact that we are at the beginning of a new cycle. That doesnt mean the money isnt there to re build.

What absolute bollocks .... we we virtually on par with Liverpool ... Liverpool have had over 1.5 billion more income than us since the formation of the Premier League. Even back in the 90's their turnover was 50% more than ours ... by 2008 they had broken through 200m we didn't manage that until 2013

In 1997/8 the first time Deloitte did a survey Liverpool were ranked 10th on 45m we were just in the top twenty on 31m (behind Villa, Rangers, and level with Leeds) we were only 8th in the UK.

Liverpool have been in the top ten rich list every year bar one since it started back in 1997/8 ... we've managed that just once, and that was yesterday.

But hey - you go with "at the start of the PL we we virtually on par with Liverpool" whatever fantasy makes you happy.

hes talkin about 92. And is correct mate. We were v close to the top.

Back
Top Bottom