Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we talking about this Davinson Sanchez (eg: circa 1:30)?

Built like an ox. The odd brain fart aside I can't recall seeing him getting bullied. He always seems cool-headed and fealess to me.

Aside: Remember when England played Columbia and they were a bunch of filthy fuckers, hacking away, and whining like scousers? He didn't have anything to do with it. Kept his composure and looked every inch a captain that day. While he was playing for the opposition, I couldn't help but feel a bit of pride seeing the way he carried himself. Best player on the pitch for them that day as well.

Agreed on both counts... I have faith he'll iron out the brainfarts and become a damn good CB.

Reidy Reidy .

Mourinho eventually wants to rebuild Tottenham’s defence, but would prefer to do so around Alderweireld rather than pushing him out.

Toby has some real thinking to do now that a manager, who clearly likes his play and just happens to be Mourinho comes to town. Would not be surprised if he ends up sticking around to get a full season in under Jose. Depends on how well things go in the coming months I suppose.

If this had happened six months ago, I’d be all in for him staying. But he’s been useless this season and worth nowhere near the wages he’s on, let alone a rise.

There is a small chink of light that Jose can get him back to his best as he’s obviously very fit for his age. But I unfortunately can’t see it.

He's been one of the worst center halves in the entire PL for going on a season and a half. Glacially slow of foot and prone to some terrible mental lapses on top of it.

He was dreadful last night again, and I cannot possibly see the reason for giving him a new contract at this point other than "he used to be good before all the injuries".

I have a season card for a 3rd division team here in Austria. I'm pretty sure there's center halves I see regularly on Friday nights in that league which are in better form than Toby since his last leg injury.

He hasn't been what he was, but I think that's wildly overstating it.

It would still cost us a fortune to replace even what Toby's been giving us lately. He remains our best CB.

Looks like he's staying then...

Nice of Toby to say but he still looks like a shell of the player he was a couple seasons ago.

Two of the four goals under Jose have been on him.

The corner goal was inexcusable for a defender of his experience.

Seems like Jose will give him a chance, so maybe he can regain his old form.

It would still cost us a fortune to replace even what Toby's been giving us lately. He remains our best CB.

Not even close. People see "Alderweireld" on the back of the shirt and seem to think he's the same player. He's an absolute ghost of what he used to be. Sanchez hasn't been great, but he's been much better than Toby this year.

Watch both goals last night ... the first he backpedaled immediately after Winks missed the tackle, taking him 10m away from the man on the ball because he's so afraid of being turned, then tried to charge back to block and never got even close. The 2nd was worse, an opposing center half which he had his body up against still got across his face and simply beat him for food speed.

He moves like an ocean liner, and it's sad to watch. 3-4 years ago he was possibly the best center half in the entire world based on form. Now he's abjectly terrible.

He's been one of the worst center halves in the entire PL for going on a season and a half. Glacially slow of foot and prone to some terrible mental lapses on top of it.

He was dreadful last night again, and I cannot possibly see the reason for giving him a new contract at this point other than "he used to be good before all the injuries".
I wouldn't say a season and a half, but agree for this season. He's looked relegation team material at times.

The thing is, Eriksen has been bad because he doesn't seem to care. I think Alderweireld has played hard. He just is not any good anymore.

Those leg injuries have had a terrible impact on his ability (especially the hamstring injury he had in 2017). On the wrong side of 30 and with bad legs, I just don't see him turning it around.

Not even close. He's been utter shite this season and at fault for a good number of goals. Start with the second last night and go from there.

Genuinely confused now.

Is it good news that we are sorting out a new contract for him or bad? Does it fill you with confidence that Jose doesn't want the rebuild that Poch did?

Maybe we keep Toby and sell Jan????

Back
Top Bottom