Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah and then undone all the progress Sanchez made and now we have ended up with two poor CBs instead of one who could have been our Ledley King by now with two straight years as first choice under his belt.

We all shook our heads in bemusement when that summer we made our all time record signing a CB.
Then we went ahhhhhh when it became clear that he was going to be Tobys long term replacement and expected us to pocket 60M for Toby who wouldn’t sign and was dropped with the manager claiming he’s injured and himself and Martinez saying he’s fine, while he played games for Belgium.

But what happens next? Poch “wipes the slate clean” in the summer (his words) and drops Sanchez. Just like he did with Davies and Rose

Commitment, good form and quietly getting on with it means fuck all in this regime and it’s all about your name.

But go ahead and big up Poch for half the story.
That story could be twisted multiple ways depending on where you stand. I'm not even saying you're wrong.

One could easily say he dropped Toby at a time it wasnt really even justified to give Sanchez game time and that he stuck with Sanchez even when his performances were declining. Yes he started great but I specifically remember a decline in performance and 99.9% of forum posters (probably including yourself) asking why Toby isn't starting.

That story could be twisted multiple ways depending on where you stand. I'm not even saying you're wrong.

One could easily say he dropped Toby at a time it wasnt really even justified to give Sanchez game time and that he stuck with Sanchez even when his performances were declining. Yes he started great but I specifically remember a decline in performance and 99.9% of forum posters (probably including yourself) asking why Toby isn't starting.

No I was one of the posters saying that Toby should fuck off if he doesn’t want to be here.
I remember him getting a game at Newport and was fucking garbage and let them equalise in the 90th minute.

If I remember rightly, we finished that season pretty well, and came 3rd.

Don’t remember Sanchez waning and certainly not enough to be dropped at the start of the following season for Toby

I am personally only remembering Sanchez's performances tanking come the 18-19 season when Toby was back in and we started experimenting with different lineups in the backline. Steady game time in a set position obviously did the boy good.

Last edited:
Here’s just some of my views from that season....you don’t have to read them, but don’t accuse me of being one of those demanding Toby was picked.

First and foremost he was dropped for not committing to the club. He wasnt dropped for lack of ability as a footballer.
Sanchez ability has proven that he was not worth the money he wanted, and thats why he will be sold.

You´re bizarre mock tactic is failing hard mate. You know it, and I know it.
You´re better when you actually believe what you´re saying, even if I disagree....this "haha hehe" thing doesnt suit you, because its you that looks like the tit.
Probably why he’s going to hang around for another year and then leave for nothing, making himself and agent the most they can get out of it at this stage.

You never know maybe he’s realised that Spurs don’t need him as badly as he thought, Utd aren’t willing to pay, no one else is interested, and our offer looks like the best deal out there and he signs it.

For me his commitment has been laid bare though for all to see...despite what Poch said, we all know why he was dropped.
Look at Dele and Kane when they were poor, he played them anyway and everyone thought that was great....no way he’s dropping Toby for 4 months over a dip in form.
Its got nothing to do with twitter or the odd journo:
Here is why I believe he hasnt signed:

1) He hasnt signed. There have been negotiations with him for over a year now, so unless the club are keeping it a secret, he hasnt renewed

2) Poch denied he was dropped for personal reasons, but in doing so revealed there was a contract issue: As in he said Toby was dropped due to form, not because of the contract issue which is "between Toby and the club"

3) Poch dropped him for four months, while Toby was saying to the papers he was fit, and indeed played for Belgium

4) I dont believe Poch would do that to a key player if it wasnt personal....and I believe that has to do with his committment as was evident with Walker under very similar circumstances (after he´d signed)

I can give reasoning to everything you throw at me, but like John, you are quick to dissapear when I demand the same back.
Toby played rubbish. Never said he was a rubbish footballer. You know this and your not the first to keep trying to turn it into something its not, but well done.
He was rubbish against WBA and Brighton....probably part to lack of game time, and probably part to lack of committment.
In form, and committed he is a key player to our squad.
We have seen that Poch doenst just drop key players for that long, as was the case with Kane and Dele. He played them to form (while I disagree with that tactic, its not the issue here
before you go all off topic about that).

Therefore, i dont believe Toby was dropped between January and May due to form.
Try not to ask me to explain it again, its crystal clear what Im saying. You know that, even if you disagree.
Sanchez is a CB in a top 3 team in the most difficult league in the world though, so his place at the world cup is not simply default

I couldn’t see it previously because it wasn’t true. It is now.
As an individual defender he's not crap, but what he does to our back line gives the whole defence problems. He did it last season as well but good will got him through.

Look at Dav when he plays alongside Toby. He hasnt a clue whether to do as he's been coached and keep the line or do as Toby does and drop early. I'd rather have a weaker player who falls in line with the rest as opposed to an individual who leaves everyone guessing

Seems like a guy who is mentally zoned out. I don't think there is ill feeling. It just doesn't make a mark because he also will be out of the door soon.

New managers usually give everyone a clean slate to prove themselves but if you're a free agent in the summer your future is in your hands. I don't think Toby or Eriksen will miraculously commit to the club overnight when they've been manufacturing their exit for a while now.

Why can't we give him a "signing on bonus" and a new contract?
He's one of the best CBs we have ever had.
I would be over the moon if JM gets Toby and Verts committed for a couple more years.
Couldn't care less if Sanchez leaves and more hopeful than confident that Foyth can step up.

Why can't we give him a "signing on bonus" and a new contract?
He's one of the best CBs we have ever had.
I would be over the moon if JM gets Toby and Verts committed for a couple more years.
Couldn't care less if Sanchez leaves and more hopeful than confident that Foyth can step up.

Couldn't care less?

What kind of attitude is that? He's a 23 year old player we invested 40 million into

Couldn't care less?

What kind of attitude is that? He's a 23 year old player we invested 40 million into
That's how I feel about him. Is he gonna get any better because of my attitude?
I don't run the club or pick the team - I am just giving my honest opinion.
I wouldn't mind his mistakes if he was a tough guy. But he ain't. He gets bullied by players.

Reidy Reidy .

Mourinho eventually wants to rebuild Tottenham’s defence, but would prefer to do so around Alderweireld rather than pushing him out.

Well I don't know how he's going to fix all Toby's mistakes, but he's the manager so good luck to him.

I wouldn't mind his mistakes if he was a tough guy. But he ain't. He gets bullied by players.
He didn't get bullied by Richarlison.

That being said I think Tanganga is a better prospect

Curious... How's that work?

Are we talking about this Davinson Sanchez (eg: circa 1:30)?

Built like an ox. The odd brain fart aside I can't recall seeing him getting bullied. He always seems cool-headed and fealess to me.

Aside: Remember when England played Columbia and they were a bunch of filthy fuckers, hacking away, and whining like scousers? He didn't have anything to do with it. Kept his composure and looked every inch a captain that day. While he was playing for the opposition, I couldn't help but feel a bit of pride seeing the way he carried himself. Best player on the pitch for them that day as well.

Back
Top Bottom