Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Kane ends up at 200K then he can demand easily 150K.

It would be cheaper to pay that then sell cheap (his contract clause) and try and buy a good replacement.

Two things -
1) Does anyone actually know when he might be back? Physioroom suggests 10.02 (need him earlier!!) but I am not sure how accurate they are ...
2) Well, I think we should do absolutely EVERYTHING to get him to sign an extension. And if he does not sign then just keep him until the end of contract, because whatever we'd be getting for him would be peanuts and would not be anywhere near enough to buy a substitute. If VVD went for 75 mil and Luiz for 50 mil, and we all know Toby is way better than either of them - he is basically invaluable. Say for 30 mil you could get a a proper defender, but even Sanchez who played 1 (!) season before in Europe cost over 40... so yea... just keep him as long as possible.

What happens when Alderweireld is back and fit?

Arguably our best defender but feel like Sanchez/Vertonghen works incredibly well - I also don't want to see us go back to the three at the back as it means one of Son, Eriksen, Alli is dropped. Unless of course one is dropped deeper.

Arguably our best defender but feel like Sanchez/Vertonghen works incredibly well - I also don't want to see us go back to the three at the back as it means one of Son, Eriksen, Alli is dropped. Unless of course one is dropped deeper.

Yea we'll probably go back to three at the back. makes best use of our available squad depth. 4 at the back with Toby/Jan gives us a real problem of finding minutes for dier/sanchez/wanyama/sissoko now that they are all healthy. Having lamela is weird too as now we have an extra attacker that "we need to get minutes for". We haven't had that issue for awhile.

2 seasons ago there was similar question when Wimmer was playing good. Alderweireld is our best defender and he'll be playing. Drop Sanchez or three at the back.

We were good defensively last couple of games, but for the most of the time, we were conceding goals a lot easier than before. So, bring him back for sure, but only when he's 100% fit.

Always reject the first contract offered to you if you are barginning from a strong position
Yp6CO8U.png

Straight back to three at the back when Toby is fit please.

We have coped well back in the old 4-2-3-1. Like a pair of old comfortable shoes.

But for this difficult run coming up i think if he's available we should go back to 3 at the back because:

1. I feel we are more proficient defensively in that formation,

2. It helps us to deal with over congestion in the middle and stretch play with Rose and Aurier starting preferably

3. If both are on form - Eriksen and Alli have both played some of their best football for us (imo) when both playing as number 10's - rotating and interchanging.

Unfortunately it means Son goes back to being an impact sub. But what an option to bring on.

Lots of calls for Alli or Eriksen to drop deep in order to shoehorn in all our attacking options - a bit like England ten years ago with Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard etc... not saying that they wont do a job there or that that it won't end up being their preferred position (bets on Alli moving there eventually) but to me it seems silly playing someone in a less effective position just to get them on the pitch. Play your best players in their best positions.

Competition is healthy and it answers the problem of having no options on the bench.

Just don't ask me who to drop.

Dropping Son on the bench just to play a formation that was shit this season would be really unfair. When Toby comes back he should replace a defender, not an attacking player.

Dropping Son on the bench just to play a formation that was shit this season would be really unfair. When Toby comes back he should replace a defender, not an attacking player.
There is no way Son should be dropped. Dele is first of our front 3 at the moment to go if we had to. To be honest, Toby needs to earn his place back. Since he's been injured we've gone on our best run of the season. He's our best defender but if it ain't broke, don't fix it and we're far from broken currently.

Back
Top Bottom