Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dropping Son on the bench just to play a formation that was shit this season would be really unfair. When Toby comes back he should replace a defender, not an attacking player.

There is no way Son should be dropped. Dele is first of our front 3 at the moment to go if we had to. To be honest, Toby needs to earn his place back. Since he's been injured we've gone on our best run of the season. He's our best defender but if it ain't broke, don't fix it and we're far from broken currently.

It's about options though isn't it i suppose. Tailoring a formation and lineup to the game and the opposition.

Personally i would rather have Toby in the team over Son for Liverpool and Juve away. Cant see Alli ever being dropped or being played deeper unless we have injuries. That problem will probably resolve itself within a season or so.

Most of those in the transfer thread complaining about signings are doing so because a perceived lack of offensive depth on the bench. But we would bench the best CB in the league to play an extra attacking player from the start?

It's a huge dilemma because the same thing happened to Son last season, started hitting form - then benched - and he has looked SO good on the ball recently and clinical as they come.

Prolly need Kane to get injured so Sonny can start up front. #hesnotaforward #yourenotfoolinganyonelevy

That's not even something to joke about. :pochfacepalm:

Sorry! Hes done a job before, wouldn't want to see it for more than a couple of games though.

Just been reading through the start of the Son thread. Pretty hard work.

Casual racism / cynicism (one for the shirt sales) / conspiracy theories about Levy changing his position on the website to Forward after not signing another striker.

Anyone still gutted we didnt sign Berahino?

Sorry! Hes done a job before, wouldn't want to see it for more than a couple of games though.

Just been reading through the start of the Son thread. Pretty hard work.

Casual racism / cynicism (one for the shirt sales) / conspiracy theories about Levy changing his position on the website to Forward after not signing another striker.

Anyone still gutted we didnt sign Berahino?

Berawho? Same with Batshyuai his moved worked out really well, still he’s loaded and has a PL winners medal for not doing much.

WHAT DOES HE KNOW?

giphy.gif

Not a big fan of 3-4-3 without Walker and an in form and motivated Rose. Drop Sanchez when Alderwiereld is back and fit, not Son. There will always be rotation and injuries for Davinson to get games.

Not a big fan of 3-4-3 without Walker and an in form and motivated Rose. Drop Sanchez when Alderwiereld is back and fit, not Son. There will always be rotation and injuries for Davinson to get games.
Altough I really rate Sanchez Son definetly has to play since he is on the form of his life. He is really important since he can change the whole match with one move. Sanchez is also really steady but he's also one for the future and is the perfect replacement since he fits in our defence very nicely. Really hope that Alderweireld signed that extension, him and Vertonghen for two or three more years would be a great thing.

An extra attacking fullback would make 3atb really good for next season. Really hope we will see Aurier and Sessegnon as fullbacks in an 3atb next year :adewtf:

Altough I really rate Sanchez Son definetly has to play since he is on the form of his life. He is really important since he can change the whole match with one move. Sanchez is also really steady but he's also one for the future and is the perfect replacement since he fits in our defence very nicely. Really hope that Alderweireld signed that extension, him and Vertonghen for two or three more years would be a great thing.

An extra attacking fullback would make 3atb really good for next season. Really hope we will see Aurier and Sessegnon as fullbacks in an 3atb next year :adewtf:
So what do we do with Son then?
Just playing devils advocate for a minute.
I agree with you that it’s a personnel issue. We are better with 4 at the back at the moment. But if we get a pacy LB in (or Rose comes back into his old form) & Serge continues his progress, then we are looking at a back 3 again?. We were regularly terrorising teams with that formation til Walker spat his dummy. Toby plays & we ain’t benching a £40 million defender in Sanchez. I’m sure he was bought to play in a 3.
We are hitting some great form right now with what we are doing without Toby. Love those flying fullbacks though-& so does Poch.
Son has always made way in that formation & it does seem harsh to see him anywhere near the bench on his current form. But Eriksen starts when available as he is the maestro. The manager always plays Dele, so again, Sonny makes way.
A nice problem for the gaffer, but I’d feel very bad for Son.

I agree with you that it’s a personnel issue. We are better with 4 at the back at the moment. But if we get a pacy LB in (or Rose comes back into his old form) & Serge continues his progress, then we are looking at a back 3 again?. We were regularly terrorising teams with that formation til Walker spat his dummy. Toby plays & we ain’t benching a £40 million defender in Sanchez. I’m sure he was bought to play in a 3.
We are hitting some great form right now with what we are doing without Toby. Love those flying fullbacks though-& so does Poch.
Son has always made way in that formation & it does seem harsh to see him anywhere near the bench on his current form. But Eriksen starts when available as he is the maestro. The manager always plays Dele, so again, Sonny makes way.

I think it is wrong to just assume that Son would be the one to make way. Just because Dele hasn't made way as much as Son, doesn't mean that can't be the case going forwards. Ideally if we go with playing 2 behind Kane, then the 2 would rotate between Son, Dele, Eriksen & Lamela. If they all play to their potential however, and we don't rotate.. then I can see one of those leaving Spurs.

I think it is wrong to just assume that Son would be the one to make way. Just because Dele hasn't made way as much as Son, doesn't mean that can't be the case going forwards. Ideally if we go with playing 2 behind Kane, then the 2 would rotate between Son, Dele, Eriksen & Lamela. If they all play to their potential however, and we don't rotate.. then I can see one of those leaving Spurs.
Whatever the solution, it would give us genuine options!

I really think there is no perfect solution, they can't play both and with Lamela back on track this problem is only going to get worse. Ofcourse Davinson is bought to bench the whole season but the same goes on for Son. If we can play a good 3atb it will give a lot more diversity tough, playing both systems regularly can be a real threat 'cause that way we can change our formatie deciding on the playstyle of our opponent, with Dier we can even change it in game. Playing both formations will give Davinson en Son both a lot of time on the pitch but I can't see a possibility to play both with a fit Toby and Jan.

It is not a problem to have Alderweireld fit but something to be looked forward to. With CL and FA cup matches there will be enough mins to keep all the major players happy. Other top 6 teams have more than 11 quality players and so have we and that is a good thing. I cannot recall a time when we had absolutely no injuries and no doubt other players will get injured but that is why you need a good squad.

It is not a problem to have Alderweireld fit but something to be looked forward to. With CL and FA cup matches there will be enough mins to keep all the major players happy. Other top 6 teams have more than 11 quality players and so have we and that is a good thing. I cannot recall a time when we had absolutely no injuries and no doubt other players will get injured but that is why you need a good squad.

I agree. Look at how many minutes Dier has got over the past two seasons yet at full strength I doubt he'd get a game

Back
Top Bottom