Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So blame Aurier for getting beat by speed but not Toby for the same thing.

Fuck this is getting good.

Connolley?
Using a couple of goals when we were fucking hammered twice in a few days in a failing team as evidence to suggest a player doesnt deserve to be here or the money he is on is ridiculous-if what you are saying is true we would have to sell every player that played both games ffs.

I have no problem with paying Alderweireld 150k/week, he’s one of the best CBs in the Premier League. The idea of potentially replacing him and Vertonghen in the same offseason with no fee was horrifying to me. But this shows where our club is going, we have so much more spending power and that is allowing us to pay big for quality players.

Toby has not had a perfect season obviously, but I don’t believe he has done a ton wrong since Jose has come in. He obviously didn’t play well in the 7-2, but very few CBs can deal with a player with the speed and quality of Gnabry in a 1 on 1. The list of CBs I would think that have a real shot to win that are probably Van Dijk and Koulibaly. That’s it, that’s the list.

I'm pleased as long as the extension is used as proof to Tanganga that we are not buying another CB because he is the next cab off the rank. It also makes me wonder if we will buy a young player like Fergerson who nominally a left sided CB and not renew Vertonghen. Kind of makes sense we just went with birth certificates and picked the one with less miles.

Jose has probably had a chat with Tanganga who can learn a lot from both Toby and José

I have no problem with paying Alderweireld 150k/week, he’s one of the best CBs in the Premier League. The idea of potentially replacing him and Vertonghen in the same offseason with no fee was horrifying to me. But this shows where our club is going, we have so much more spending power and that is allowing us to pay big for quality players.

Toby has not had a perfect season obviously, but I don’t believe he has done a ton wrong since Jose has come in. He obviously didn’t play well in the 7-2, but very few CBs can deal with a player with the speed and quality of Gnabry in a 1 on 1. The list of CBs I would think that have a real shot to win that are probably Van Dijk and Koulibaly. That’s it, that’s the list.
None of our players have been consistent this season most have had good and bad games or should I say not been as involved in one game or an other.

Pleased about this.

Think his decline is accentuated by us having no good defensive midfield or full back options.

More money can now be spent on those areas.

Mourinho has a habit of getting a lot out of his old stagers too.

Last edited:

I don't think Koulibaly would have coped either mate but we would have had the pleasure of seeing him throw Serge Aurier at Ganabry to slow him down some

I've not seen anyone point this out, apologies if I've missed it.

Are we seeing Mourinho getting Levy to change the policy on over 30s players? I would never have expected us to give a 4 year contract to a player of Toby's age.

Not complaining of course.

I've not seen anyone point this out, apologies if I've missed it.

Are we seeing Mourinho getting Levy to change the policy on over 30s players? I would never have expected us to give a 4 year contract to a player of Toby's age.

Not complaining of course.
Sissoko signed a 4 year contract in the summer and he's only a few months younger than Alderweireld.

Using a couple of goals when we were fucking hammered twice in a few days in a failing team as evidence to suggest a player doesnt deserve to be here or the money he is on is ridiculous-if what you are saying is true we would have to sell every player that played both games ffs.
Overly dramatic much?
There are plenty more, but sure, its much easier to blame Dav and Serge for all our failings.

You forgot De Ligt who has done it for both club and country.

So its not the list.

Back
Top Bottom