Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah he has declined...but he had a pretty fucking high bar to fall from, he's probably only in the top 5 defenders in the league now instead of the top 3.
Pretty strange no one significant came in for him.

We ended the transition from a decently sized club in England to one of the big boys in Europe right now. Most renewals will have crazy increases from now on.
I know we got to the CL final but I think we have to win a big trophy to be one of the big boys in Europe.

I know we got to the CL final but I think we have to win a big trophy to be one of the big boys in Europe.
That would cement it, but, as long as we can win a tie against anyone, and are well respected and feared by the opposition, we are definetely in the conversation with the big boys. For godness sake, Bonucci just said last week that he didn't want to get us in the Champions League, that tells everything about our status right now. We're not in the elite like Real etc. , but surely we're on the class just below it.

Astonishing that this contract saga has gone on for 3 years now - so if he has gone from £50k pw to £150k pw, that means Toby 's agent/father advising him to go round Europe to find better wages has cost Toby £10m pa (£100k pw) or over 3 years £30m.

I'm sure there's a decent signing on fee, but either way, advice to Toby has not been great.

Good news, I think, for Spurs to have tied Toby down for longer as we can now put our time and effort into bringing other players in - but a 3.5 year contract (or 3 years from the end of his current contract) is probably longer than Toby can play at the top for so in reality he may well be a back up or coaching youngsters in his last year when he'll be 33 going on 34.

Question now is Vertonghen - he gives us leadership at the back (which Toby doesn't) and cover at LB as he's doing at the back, but he's 2 years older than Toby. For preference I'd prefer not to have 2 older CB's at the back as neither are that fast now, but I do wonder whether a one (or two maximum) year contract might be beneficial to both Spurs and Jan, with Jane spending some time coaching youngsters as part of the deal.

Agreed.

Mixture of injuries, being dropped for no particular reason at times, inconsistent defensive partners etc.

We were settled during his strongest seasons with us. We haven't had that over the last few years and mix that with the injury problems he had a few years back.

Being dropped for manu FA cup semi final a couple of years ago? A decision that probably cost Poch his first trophy?

Fucking awesome

As the late great Jim Bowen might have said to Christian Eriksen...

super-smashing-great-5aa9d9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom