Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We live in a world where Harry Maguire is going to cost £80m but we're apparently deluded for showing surprise at no-one snapping up Toby for £25m.

giphy.gif

They have no genuine opinions - merely whatever will generate the most clicks/phone calls at any given time. TalkShite is only worthwhile when someone like Mason is on.

Adrian Durham says that Alderweireld is just OK, the bloke has played in TWO Champions League finals and has a 3rd place in a World Cup playing for teams deemed not elite level for a reason. He's been a wonderful defender for a long time now. Durham's a fucking prick who is happy to put his own success higher up the priority ladder Ham he is his own reputation. What a tool for not acknowledging that Toby had a £25m release clause at a time where Dominic Solanke is moving clubs in £20m deals etc.

This is what £19m gets you these days:

Durhams a twat if he doesn't realise Toby is a gem at £25m, even if it's only for a couple of years and teams missed out big time on someone's who I think has actied impeccably on the pitch all things considered.

Can’t remember the last time I listened to talk sport.
Glad to see they are still fishing for stupid people to phone in and argue ridiculous statements with them. Seen better days that radio show.

“Deluded Spurs fans”..... best stadium in the world, some of the best players in the world and just reached a CL final....... but yeah......,We are the deluded ones

Righto mate. That really the best they can do????

I wouldn’t take Maguire in the Spurs team over Alderweiereld. TA is a better defender, Maguire plays his way into trouble too often, like Stones.
Maguire isn’t worth anywhere near £80M, if United pay that for him they are burning money.

Adrian Durham says that Alderweireld is just OK, the bloke has played in TWO Champions League finals and has a 3rd place in a World Cup playing for teams deemed not elite level for a reason. He's been a wonderful defender for a long time now. Durham's a fucking prick who is happy to put his own success higher up the priority ladder Ham he is his own reputation. What a tool for not acknowledging that Toby had a £25m release clause at a time where Dominic Solanke is moving clubs in £20m deals etc.

This is what £19m gets you these days:

Durhams a twat if he doesn't realise Toby is a gem at £25m, even if it's only for a couple of years and teams missed out big time on someone's who I think has actied impeccably on the pitch all things considered.

Mate, he doesn't have that opinion. It's just sound-bites. Like most other media they are desperate for views, they don't need people to be interested for more than 5 seconds, because that's what's needed for the ads to bring in revenue.

I wouldn’t take Maguire in the Spurs team over Alderweiereld. TA is a better defender, Maguire plays his way into trouble too often, like Stones.
Maguire isn’t worth anywhere near £80M, if United pay that for him they are burning money.

It's the home grown aspect that makes Maguire worth that in United's opinion, and that, combined with his age, limited Toby's value in the PL market.

It's the home grown aspect that makes Maguire worth that in United's opinion, and that, combined with his age, limited Toby's value in the PL market.
The age factor I get, I just don’t think Maguire is anything special really. Nowhere near van Dijk, and I think it’s questionable whether he would develop into a better player at United as they are all over the place just now.
Going there with that huge price tag and if United struggle he could flounder big time.

Bro, it’s 150k/week. Some people won’t earn so much money in years.
He will have to earn £3-400,000 a week just to make up his loss of earnings by not signing the £150k a week 18 months or so ago.
He has honestly played this one so badly & created a bit of a stink around himself in the process.
On the plus side, we keep him for another of his “prime” years on a relatively low salary. Then he can do a Bale and fuck off to China

He will have to earn £3-400,000 a week just to make up his loss of earnings by not signing the £150k a week 18 months or so ago.
He has honestly played this one so badly & created a bit of a stink around himself in the process.
On the plus side, we keep him for another of his “prime” years on a relatively low salary. Then he can do a Bale and fuck off to China
He’ll probably get a healthy £15m - £20m signing bonus to offset some of that loss of earnings though.

Yeah, but if we DID sign him, then we could have a TOBY-MAGUIRE CB pairing!! Just for comedy value alone!
Just saying....

no one was will to pay us £25m for him now so why would a club pay him 15-20m and his wages one year on
Because £15m - £20m is less than £25m. Plus they sign him for £25m now and still have to pay him a signing fee of maybe £5m - £10m.

And he’ll still have a few years left at the top.

He’ll probably get a healthy £15m - £20m signing bonus to offset some of that loss of earnings though.
Maybe we would give him that after a stellar season? Just musing that we could sign him on a free on a 2 year deal? That could work for both parties perhaps? We’ve saved the money during the stadium build, he’s run his contract down but shown his worth in his final season and earned a signing on fee plus better wages.
Let’s be honest, if he stays fit all year and plays as we know he can, there aren’t too many better in his position that we would get for £15-£20 million in today’s market. Depends really on whether he shows his worth this year but I don’t see anything wrong with giving him a juicy signing on fee to stay with us for another 2-3 years.

Pretty sure Toby will give us one last great season and then take his free transfer ... whilst we mighty not get a 25m fee we will get a world class CB for another year on a teenager's salary ... would love him to sign an extension but as every month goes buy that just seems less and less likely ...

Spurs have made repeated offers, other clubs have shown interest, Toby has rejected all of it ... his call

BBC gossip column suggests that Roma are going to pay £23m for Lovren. Won’t pay Toby’s £25m release but want Lovren for £2m less? That’s a big quality difference for just a little money...

BBC gossip column suggests that Roma are going to pay £23m for Lovren. Won’t pay Toby’s £25m release but want Lovren for £2m less? That’s a big quality difference for just a little money...

Italy be where the good drugs are these days obv.

I assume the issue with Alderweireld isn't nobody wanting to pay his fee... it's that nobody wanted to pay the wages his agent demands.

Back
Top Bottom