Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure he is worth worrying over now.

The shame is that Vertonghen is injured.

Played a blinder though Alderweireld. Might even out fox Levy.

We need Alli and or Eriksen signed up on extended deals to create a sense that it is not all drifting somewhat.

For balance sake, seeing as the hate is firing towards Hugo. Apparently, it was all his fault we lost.

What a monumental fuck up by the player that wanted out of this team. A truly calamitous piece of shit defending you will ever see unless your name is Phill Jones. Ah, that's it, maybe this was his Utd rehearsal.

You'd rather have De Ligt over Alderweireld for the next 2-3 years? I understand potential and planning for the future, but we should absolutely hold onto players as long as they can play to their best.

In any logical top ten central defenders list in the world, Toby would be present, I simply can't believe fans are still ok to let him go.

Sorry thought I'd bring this one back to the surface.

If anyone still thinks the same, heaven help us.

Sorry thought I'd bring this one back to the surface.

If anyone still thinks the same, heaven help us.
It's the other side of the coin with us having as good a side as we do right now. We want to hold on to these great players as long as possible, but it is also key to know when to let someone go. Either to just freshen up the team or because it is needed for both parties.

Both our main CBs are getting up there in age. We should be looking towards the future, which we already have with Davinson.

The second goal. Toby was marking the scorer when the ball was played into the box, yet after Dav clears it, Toby just leaves him to wander into space. Shit piece of defending.

The second goal. Toby was marking the scorer when the ball was played into the box, yet after Dav clears it, Toby just leaves him to wander into space. Shit piece of defending.
I can understand a striker or midfielder leaving their market player when the ball is cleared/looks to be cleared. But a defender should know to stay put in case it flyes back in.

Not a good night at the office for him.

I can understand a striker or midfielder leaving their market player when the ball is cleared/looks to be cleared. But a defender should know to stay put in case it flyes back in.

Not a good night at the office for him.

Story of his season. He’s clearly not focused or committed.

Story of his season. He’s clearly not focused or committed.
Bit odd in my opinion still. I find it weird that players that want away tend to go into slumps in their performances. You'd figure people would be more keen on signing you if you were in form

Toby is half the player without Vertonghen next to him.

He's half the player he was two years ago full stop. When you look at the two goals and the sending off, Toby made mistakes in all instances.

I suppose he doesn't have the threat of missing out on a World Cup to motivate him this year.

Toby Alderweireld or John Stones: Which defender would you want in your side?

Phil Thompson - Alderweireld

Alderweireld does not make as many mistakes as Stones does and when it comes down to it as a centre-back however many mistakes you make judges how good a player you are. John is developing and getting better at when to take his risks and he is so comfortable on the ball but Alderweireld is just a better defender when it comes down to it.

Matt Le Tissier - Alderweireld
The Belgian is more reliable and experienced at the back, Stones has got talent but there's always a mistake in him but Alderweireld is solid and dependable so you would rather have him in the heart of your defence.

Paul Merson - Alderweireld
I think Alderweireld is one of the best defenders in the world. I never see him get the run-around and he always looks solid. Stones has still got a ricket in him. He does not need to do some of things he does - he could have eight solid games on the trot but before long he will give you a chance. Alderweireld is the complete defender, plus, he has more experience which is key for a centre-back.

Charlie Nicholas - Alderweireld
Alderweireld for me as he is currently more consistent than Stones is.

Stones should have an authority by now but he's not getting enough game time to really show that authority on the pitch so, if I was picking on talent I would go with Stones, but the better defender right now is Alderweireld.

Written before last night but shows toby still rated by so called experts.

Toby Alderweireld or John Stones: Which defender would you want in your side?

Phil Thompson - Alderweireld

Alderweireld does not make as many mistakes as Stones does and when it comes down to it as a centre-back however many mistakes you make judges how good a player you are. John is developing and getting better at when to take his risks and he is so comfortable on the ball but Alderweireld is just a better defender when it comes down to it.

Matt Le Tissier - Alderweireld
The Belgian is more reliable and experienced at the back, Stones has got talent but there's always a mistake in him but Alderweireld is solid and dependable so you would rather have him in the heart of your defence.

Paul Merson - Alderweireld
I think Alderweireld is one of the best defenders in the world. I never see him get the run-around and he always looks solid. Stones has still got a ricket in him. He does not need to do some of things he does - he could have eight solid games on the trot but before long he will give you a chance. Alderweireld is the complete defender, plus, he has more experience which is key for a centre-back.

Charlie Nicholas - Alderweireld
Alderweireld for me as he is currently more consistent than Stones is.

Stones should have an authority by now but he's not getting enough game time to really show that authority on the pitch so, if I was picking on talent I would go with Stones, but the better defender right now is Alderweireld.

Written before last night but shows toby still rated by so called experts.
Alderweireld is a better Centre Half than Stones, I don't think you will find many people say anything different. If ever you could get an honest answer from Guardiola I'm sure he would say Alderweireld, I mean Stones isn't a regular starter for City. So I find the comparison a strange one to be asking.

is he in or out? Seems he likes it here, but as for that contract...
Toby Alderweireld says Tottenham need to take last step

Actions speak louder than words, he should have signed his contract last season. Don't think we missed him that much last season and he's only been OK this. Think he will be gone, come the summer. Our future is Davy and Juan, IMO.
Interestingly enough, he is not featured in next year's official calendar!

Actions speak louder than words, he should have signed his contract last season. Don't think we missed him that much last season and he's only been OK this. Think he will be gone, come the summer. Our future is Davy and Juan, IMO.
Interestingly enough, he is not featured in next year's official calendar!

That is interesting and, me being a fan of his, disappointing.
I wonder how much that sort of stuff upsets a player? How big/fragile their egos are? If he’s upset about it then it’s surely another step to the exit - if none of them care in the slightest then maybe not important.

Back
Top Bottom