"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...it's no doubt the same Football God who wanted Leicester to win the title last season, and they did... No matter how inconceivable it seemed!

Or will the football god see fit to keep the title fight going another week to make it so that Leicester draw/beat us to hand the title to Chelsea as Chelsea drew against us to hand it to Leicester last year.

Or will the football god see fit to keep the title fight going another week to make it so that Leicester draw/beat us to hand the title to Chelsea as Chelsea drew against us to hand it to Leicester last year.
If he/she does... then he/she is a right proper cunt!

Our "unbeaten run" (ending against united) was a ball & chain this season. Too many draws in that time. We'd have been better losing a couple & winning a couple.

It's ironic that an unbeaten run could ever be thought of as harmful. But I really think it was.

Our unbeaten run ended vs Chelsea before United!

Everyone says this every single fucking season. It's such a platitude. Every season it's Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City, Woolwich are strengthening and poor Spurs are being left behind because they won't pay their players what's deserved. "FFS LEVY!"

Every single season there's more room at the top of the table than anyone would have predicted in pre-season.

We were in the title race last season, so where did most of the media put us to finish? 5th or 6th, same place they predict us to finish every season. The new story was "Mourinho vs. Guardiola Rule the Premier League", and "This is Liverpool/Klopp's Year!" But I haven't seen a single slice of evidence that Klopp, Guardiola, or Mourinho have done anything to improve their sides.

Guardiola and Mourinho respectively have major fucking work to do. Frankly I think Mourinho's days of being a top manager are behind him. He looks broken. Everyone knows where Liverpool needs to improve, but Klopp refuses to do anything about it and instead hands Dejan Lovren a new contract worth 100k/wk! Guardiola, who knows. This is the biggest test of his career. But I think he's twice the threat of either Jose or Klopp, tbh.

Our rivals are going to spunk a lot of money this summer. But most of it will be hugely wasted, a la Pogba.
Spot on . All that changes next season is us away from WHL.

who would have thought we would have been in this position again. Its frustrating that we seem to get close but are unable to push that little bit more that's needed. 2nd place in PL is a massive achievement and mustn't be dismissed as failure. We are a very good side and can only get better. I wonder who we will be challenging for the title next season?

Last season was our real chance at the title. If we'd beaten the Scum at home and gone top I'm sure we would have won the PL.
This season Chelsea have regrouped and their 13 game winning run made the title close to impossible. It's a shame we had so many players at the European champs as I think it took them a while to recover and we had a slow start.
I can't see us competing for the title next year without the white hart lane advantage. The key is to ensure a top four finish and to retain our players for the season after at the new stadium.

Last season was our real chance at the title. If we'd beaten the Scum at home and gone top I'm sure we would have won the PL.
This season Chelsea have regrouped and their 13 game winning run made the title close to impossible. It's a shame we had so many players at the European champs as I think it took them a while to recover and we had a slow start.
I can't see us competing for the title next year without the white hart lane advantage. The key is to ensure a top four finish and to retain our players for the season after at the new stadium.
Even if we would have collected 3 points from that derby game, Leicester would still have won the league but by 7 points instead on 9. They didn't lose a game in that run in, we did. I get the argument that motivation may have been different, but surely that could also be applied to Leicester too.

By saying last year was our best chance completely ignores just how good we are this year, if we get 6 points from our remaining games then that would win us a title nearly 50% of the time (nearly half of Premier League titles have been won on 75-83 points). This season is the season we can look back on and say was a real chance not last year, no one has ever won the Premier League with 70 points (or 72 points had we won against scum).

Last season was our real chance at the title.
If anyone should have won it last season, it was the Goons. Led the table December and January, did the double over Leicester (12 pts at stake effectively), a money-making machine with the stability of the same manager for 20 years ("strong and stable" lol). And they still lost by a mile.

We had a real chance, but that got blown as early as 1st October, at a time when if you'd mentioned a title challenge you'd have been sectioned. That was when we played Monaco away in the Europa and put out a strong team. Next up we only drew at a poor Swans. In November we sent a decent team out to Qarabag and then failed to beat the worst Chavski team for 30 years. We beat Monaco then lost at home to a TERRIBLE Newcastle team. Groan.

We're a much better team now, but knowing how everyone fecked up last year to let plucky Leicester through, I'm sure Poch and Levy would have agreed to play the kids in EL. We blew at least 7 pts; would be more when you take into account the generally debilitating effect of playing so many more games than LCFC, but no way could you quantify it.

For me, it's not hindsight. I hate the Europa and it's screwed us over in the past with AVB failing to get top 4 by a pt or 2, while getting Bale, Lennon and Moose injured in an EL tie. I'm convinced if our 1st XI had played the same amount of games as LCFC, we'd have finished above them.

I'm depressed now. I was doing sooooo well at forgetting about EL.

Last two years I've started the season thinking fourth year would be a real achievement.

IMO we can't have any complaints about this season as we've massively exceeded expectation. I do think this summer could be quite defining though

If anyone should have won it last season, it was the Goons. Led the table December and January, did the double over Leicester (12 pts at stake effectively), a money-making machine with the stability of the same manager for 20 years ("strong and stable" lol). And they still lost by a mile.

We had a real chance, but that got blown as early as 1st October, at a time when if you'd mentioned a title challenge you'd have been sectioned. That was when we played Monaco away in the Europa and put out a strong team. Next up we only drew at a poor Swans. In November we sent a decent team out to Qarabag and then failed to beat the worst Chavski team for 30 years. We beat Monaco then lost at home to a TERRIBLE Newcastle team. Groan.

We're a much better team now, but knowing how everyone fecked up last year to let plucky Leicester through, I'm sure Poch and Levy would have agreed to play the kids in EL. We blew at least 7 pts; would be more when you take into account the generally debilitating effect of playing so many more games than LCFC, but no way could you quantify it.

For me, it's not hindsight. I hate the Europa and it's screwed us over in the past with AVB failing to get top 4 by a pt or 2, while getting Bale, Lennon and Moose injured in an EL tie. I'm convinced if our 1st XI had played the same amount of games as LCFC, we'd have finished above them.

I'm depressed now. I was doing sooooo well at forgetting about EL.
True. But who at that time would have expected we were going to be in a title race? The idea at the time to keep us in all competitions would have been accepted by most.

True. But who at that time would have expected we were going to be in a title race? The idea at the time to keep us in all competitions would have been accepted by most.
I'm in no doubt that Europe has hindered our League form, especially taking into account the winners have't been in Europe, I am however a firm believer that we are learning all the time on what is needed to perform in both. That could be a simple but brave decision to bin Europe off, or and one that I think we will continue with is to attempt to compete on both fronts. The players and the staff at the club all learn, all improve. I think we are better placed than Chelsea for next year as their squad is ageing, there is no way they can get there older players to compete on both fronts and not risk injury. Even if they buy in a number of world class players this summer there is still no guarantee they will perform in their first year, or in fact fit into the squad. Those that might come though like Zoma are still very inexperienced and have fewer games to their name than Dele for example.

you could say if on a lot of things. points dropped anywhere have an impact, but for me it was losing at home to Leicester. Had we won, we'd be a point clear, as it turned out, they went 5 points clear and we never caught em after that.

I'm in no doubt that Europe has hindered our League form, especially taking into account the winners have't been in Europe, I am however a firm believer that we are learning all the time on what is needed to perform in both. That could be a simple but brave decision to bin Europe off, or and one that I think we will continue with is to attempt to compete on both fronts. The players and the staff at the club all learn, all improve. I think we are better placed than Chelsea for next year as their squad is ageing, there is no way they can get there older players to compete on both fronts and not risk injury. Even if they buy in a number of world class players this summer there is still no guarantee they will perform in their first year, or in fact fit into the squad. Those that might come though like Zoma are still very inexperienced and have fewer games to their name than Dele for example.
you are unwaveringly optimistic about the club - hats off, no idea how you do it - I've found this week really tough and feel I've pushed back into negativity despite the amazing season we've had.

you are unwaveringly optimistic about the club - hats off, no idea how you do it - I've found this week really tough and feel I've pushed back into negativity despite the amazing season we've had.
We are 2nd best team in the League, 3rd best last year best over the two year by some margin too. A squad of players that the core of has been around for some time now, all understand their role and many know more than one role. They are excellent in at least 4 formations making them the most tactically astute team in the League, that can morph into any of these formations during a game. They, despite there young age have a fair number of European games under their belts.

Heading into pre-season next year all the players will have the expectation for winning the league, name one reason why they wouldn't think this. It's not a mind trick either it will be genuine belief. We've had many games at Wembley, so there are no surprises and our last 3 games there were all good performances without the results that we deserved. In fact I thought that we deserved to win against Monaco in the first game, it wasn't classic Tottenham but we were still the better side (familiar story of they had 2 shots and scored 2 goals, everyone has seen how good they are now!). So for all those banging on about Wembley gloom we have only played poorly (deserved to lose) there once, against Bayer Leverkusen.

I'm bored of the West Ham struggled to adjust to a new stadium, so that means we will. Fuck Off! West Ham struggled because they are shit. We are not shit, we are 2nd best team in the league. If reporting was balanced then why focus on how West Ham have copied with their move, why not also mention Juve. When they moved stadium they we unbeaten at home and won the League!Q: How were they able to do this? A: They were are good team!

Last edited:
great post.

I'd also add that our top XI is as good if not better than any in the PL. Such a shame that injuries have kept us to so few first choice XI's. Can you imagine where we'd be if we'd had as few injuries as CFC and had the option of 3 at the back all season?

This team is soooooo much better than the previous season. 3rd to 2nd doesnt take into account how CFC, MCFC, LFC and MUFC have improved, or had the chance to with hundreds of millions spent. Broadly the same players, just had an extra season to adapt to the plan and to each other. Another season, a good transfer window of young players in, hungry to work with Poch and improve.....

Back
Top Bottom