"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs were sensational this year, but after last year you would have thought the experience would have helped them do even better this time round. Yeah they are unlucky, Leicester over achieved last year and now Chelsea have overachieved (who would have reckoned on Moses, Alonso (who?) and Loony Luiz being ever presents in a champion team?), but that's not enough of an excuse. People go on about Chelsea and Europe but seriously, how long were Spurs in Europe? (Don't go there - ed). So how come Spurs have been left behind twice in a row? It must be a head thing. Next year it's a bullish Mourinho, Pep with a year under his belt and Wembley - bit worrying?
We've played 10 games more than Chelsea, that's 26% of a season! More games leads to more rotation, less rest, more injuries.
We are better!!
We've still got 3 games left to play and we have won 4 more games than last year, drawn 5 games less, lost 2 games less, scored 2 more goals, prevented 12 less goals, goal difference is therefore 14 better off and we have SEVENTEEN points better off!
Why have Chelsea over achieved? It's the same squad that won the league that bookies paid out on in Dec on 18 months ago.
Nothing to worry about when your the 2nd best team in the League.

Spurs were sensational this year, but after last year you would have thought the experience would have helped them do even better this time round. Yeah they are unlucky, Leicester over achieved last year and now Chelsea have overachieved (who would have reckoned on Moses, Alonso (who?) and Loony Luiz being ever presents in a champion team?), but that's not enough of an excuse. People go on about Chelsea and Europe but seriously, how long were Spurs in Europe? (Don't go there - ed). So how come Spurs have been left behind twice in a row? It must be a head thing. Next year it's a bullish Mourinho, Pep with a year under his belt and Wembley - bit worrying?
Spurs were long enough in Europe to play 8 more games. Most at a time when players were missing, not on form
How many times have Chelsea had to change their starting 11 in the league?
Of course it matters. There's the travel, the rotation, etc.
For instance in November, as as last year. We played Woolwich, West Ham & Chelsea consecutively and in between played 2 CL ties, one in south of France.
Chelsea played 3 games in 21 days through Nov, 2 at home.

So many things wrong with this post, you're probably just trolling. But anyway, I'll bite...

Don't think they were troll comments, just different opinions. Fair play on the points data, but still not enough. Poch has been left behind twice in a row, both times by teams who nobody thought would win it in August, but he's come up short. And what I'm saying about the Mancs is that we can't bank on them staying asleep much longer. Tho I spose you can hope.

Don't think they were troll comments, just different opinions. Fair play on the points data, but still not enough. Poch has been left behind twice in a row, both times by teams who nobody thought would win it in August, but he's come up short. And what I'm saying about the Mancs is that we can't bank on them staying asleep much longer. Tho I spose you can hope.
Chelsea was picked to win the league by a quarter of the football journalists, 85% of them picked them to be in top 4. Not one picked Spurs to win the title and only a quarter picked them for top 4. I think what you are saying is YOU didn't expect Chelsea to win it.

What makes you think the Manc's are suddenly
Going to be a threat? Mourinho has won the league cup. If he doesn't make top 4 or win Europa, he may not even last the summer.
Pep has been found out imo. Nothing earth shattering as the early form book looked to suggest.

And it's an odd comment that nobody thought the Chavs would win it...they were champions the season before last & then had a shocker when their players downed tools for....Mourinho. Who thought we'd win it in August of either season???

Spurs are showing amazing consistency & progression under Poch. I shouldn't worry too much if I was you.

So what if he's been "left behind" twice? He's been left behind by clear title winners. Leicester left everyone behind - it's ridiculous to single out Spurs from last season's also-rans, considering that Chelsea/Man U/Man City were left much further behind than we were.

And are you seriously trying to claim that Spurs have under-achieved this year?

Was seeing in the Standard that chavski fans were buying tickets for £1k+ in the West Brom end for tonight because they never applied when it was on sale through Chelsea, not knowing then they could win the league tonight. Well I hope they lose tonight even if the best that comes of it is that the gloryhunting cunts spunk £1k up the wall and have to wait til Monday. But I can't see it happening, West Brom have been "on the beach" since about 1st January.

Was seeing in the Standard that chavski fans were buying tickets for £1k+ in the West Brom end for tonight because they never applied when it was on sale through Chelsea, not knowing then they could win the league tonight. Well I hope they lose tonight even if the best that comes of it is that the gloryhunting cunts spunk £1k up the wall and have to wait til Monday. But I can't see it happening, West Brom have been "on the beach" since about 1st January.
West Brom have tanked it ever since Pullis stated that their job was just about done this season!

Pullis lives for games like this. It's his moment in the sunshine. West Brom will be up for this and I think there's a great chance they'll get a result. Ideally a win as a draw would leave Chelsea just needing to draw their last two.

The problems came with Kane and Alderweireld out of the team, after City, the 6th game and until the 15th game, the defeat to United.

After 7 games we had 17 points.
After 15 games we had 27 points having picked up 10 points in 8 games and that's where we lost the title.
In the next 20 games we picked up 50 points from 60!

And Danny too!

Three world class players like these out would affect any team which is why we should be so proud of what we have achieved

The only doubt I have is that although we have shown incredible improvement over the past ~ 3 years, it doesn't follow that we will win the league next year. We were here in 1987: flying in the league, FA Cup Final, and a team with Hoddle, Waddle and Ossie in the creative engine room; Clive Allen up front as a goal machine (50+ goals in a season with no Europe) and the best two centre backs in the land (Mabbutt and Gough*). We had a great (if aging) keeper in Clemence and it seemed like we were entering a golden era.

Then the wheels fell right off in a way only Spurs could do. Clem retired, and we replaced him with Bobby Mimms; Gough got homesick (for Scotland, FFS!); Clive Allen never reached the same heights again; Ossie was never the same again IMO and Chris and Glen made a record and pissed off to Monaco. Yes Gazza came in, but I can't help thinking about what might have been that if some of those players hadn't been in the twilight of their careers, or buggered off to France / Scotland.

So that's why I am happy on the one hand - we've got a young set of players who can grow; but I am equally I am worried that if we can't hold on to the first XI, it will have been another glorious false dawn in our history. Please, please Mr Levy, do whatever it takes to keep the team together. The truth is that we could sell players for short term profit, but think of the capital cost of replacing them and think of how much revenue these boys will generate with ten trophy laden years of glory glory nights at The New Lane.

COYS

*any scouser who says lawrenson and Hansen can piss right off

Pullis lives for games like this. It's his moment in the sunshine. West Brom will be up for this and I think there's a great chance they'll get a result. Ideally a win as a draw would leave Chelsea just needing to draw their last two.
You are young, but you will learn.

Just enjoy an amazing runners up spot.
Ignore chelsea coverage.

The only doubt I have is that although we have shown incredible improvement over the past ~ 3 years, it doesn't follow that we will win the league next year. We were here in 1987: flying in the league, FA Cup Final, and a team with Hoddle, Waddle and Ossie in the creative engine room; Clive Allen up front as a goal machine (50+ goals in a season with no Europe) and the best two centre backs in the land (Mabbutt and Gough*). We had a great (if aging) keeper in Clemence and it seemed like we were entering a golden era.

Then the wheels fell right off in a way only Spurs could do. Clem retired, and we replaced him with Bobby Mimms; Gough got homesick (for Scotland, FFS!); Clive Allen never reached the same heights again; Ossie was never the same again IMO and Chris and Glen made a record and pissed off to Monaco. Yes Gazza came in, but I can't help thinking about what might have been that if some of those players hadn't been in the twilight of their careers, or buggered off to France / Scotland.

So that's why I am happy on the one hand - we've got a young set of players who can grow; but I am equally I am worried that if we can't hold on to the first XI, it will have been another glorious false dawn in our history. Please, please Mr Levy, do whatever it takes to keep the team together. The truth is that we could sell players for short term profit, but think of the capital cost of replacing them and think of how much revenue these boys will generate with ten trophy laden years of glory glory nights at The New Lane.

COYS

*any scouser who says lawrenson and Hansen can piss right off
Football changes quickly. It could easily be man utd 1st & chelsea 4th next season.
Then stupidly people will be saying conte's lost it, sack him.

I for one would be over the moon with 2nd again next season.

Since when can anyone consider spurs finishing 2nd a "failure" (or "left behind", "bottled", "come up short") by the club or by Poch?

How bizarre.

Did I go to sleep and miss a decade of our dominance, £500m transfer spends, or a trophy cabinet brimming out of Poch's CV?

3rd last season, 2nd this season. It's all pointing to 1 thing...... 7th next season & poch to barcelona.

Football has ruined my birthday for a second time!! To be fair for my 15th birthday back in 1979 I felt a whole lot worse when Woolwich won the FA cup with an injury time winner!!

Attending matches at WHL this season has been immense with some scintillating football that it has been a pleasure to watch hope we end it in style this sunday with a win guarantee 2nd and then fuck the last 2 games of the season play the youth team

We need to secure 2nd on Sunday and if not then, then against Leicester or Hull.

We need to finish no more than 7 points at most behind that fcuking p!le of oil laden sh!t.

It is galling to have been that much better than last season but it is what it is. I hope that the players don't lose faith and start using the only possible thing - more money, to look to move on. We have a real good thing here and are building year on year.

I deliberately did not listen today only to take a look at was going on with the huge NHS cyber attack and then to see that rabble celebrating.

FCUK me it can be difficult.

Chelsea were the best club over the 38 games. In all likelihood we will be the second best.

That's it, that's all there is, Moan all you like about financial doping (I just have to my niece), injuries, shit bad luck, inches either way, how they hate us because we crucified their Lord, that first sentence is all there is.

I was born in October 1961. Joint highest league finish in my lifetime. I was still shitting my nappy in 1962-63.

Cunts.

YIDS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom