"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Durham on TS: "Spurs had no competition - Just a head to head with Chelsea - and they let Chelsea OVERTAKE them... ".

What the actual fuck?

CUNT.

I literally have teeth marks in my steering wheel because of that fat, ginger, closet gooner cunt.

He does it to me every time.

Gough can fuck off too. Twinkle toed tory prick.

Our "unbeaten run" (ending against united) was a ball & chain this season. Too many draws in that time. We'd have been better losing a couple & winning a couple.

It's ironic that an unbeaten run could ever be thought of as harmful. But I really think it was.
It's honestly a waste of time looking back over past results, far to easy to point to a game on a bit of paper when it doesn't show if the team we played were actually in a period of form or not, have a new manger or one going out the door, wether we had injuries or played in Europe 48hrs before whilst the oppo hasn't played in 7 days. It also means that no-one looks at the Swansea game or the West Ham game at home which were brilliant fun but games we were seconds away from loosing.

There are far to many variables. (If Karanka was still in charge of Middlesborough then it's more than likely Chelsea would have drawn last night, thing is he isn't and they lost).

For me right now, I'd take the next 5 years of finishing runners up if it were offered to me. We are currently the 2nd best best team in the country, I love saying that, I'm proud to say that, I've NEVER said that!

The problems came with Kane and Alderweireld out of the team, after City, the 6th game and until the 15th game, the defeat to United.

After 7 games we had 17 points.
After 15 games we had 27 points having picked up 10 points in 8 games and that's where we lost the title.
In the next 20 games we picked up 50 points from 60!

Agree totally on Toby, less so Kane.

We carried on scoring and winning with Kane out, both times.

Toby we lost v WBA, came back at Manure. 7 games, 10 pts.

Without him, we just dont function. That's not even EL form, let alone CL or title chasing. Please tie that contract down Levy.

If the last two PL seasons were a song...We seem to have hit all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order.

giphy.gif

The football god seems to prefer chelsea to us.
It seems that way..
Move pride aside......The poor result against WHU has become irrelevant now that Chelsea got all 3 points last night-they keep winning, we cant catch em. The PL is played over a season and Chelsea have been better than us in accumulating points. Playing wise, we have been on par with Chelsea although they seem to have a ruthlessness, an arrogance that seems to be lacking in us. Experience will come and maybe the gods, will even things out at a later date.

The problems came with Kane and Alderweireld out of the team, after City, the 6th game and until the 15th game, the defeat to United.

After 7 games we had 17 points.
After 15 games we had 27 points having picked up 10 points in 8 games and that's where we lost the title.
In the next 20 games we picked up 50 points from 60!

Agreed.

For once, no one can use the slow start excuse because it's untrue. The myth has been busted.

Problem was, our depth wasn't good enough in the end. But we all knew this. We have a better team than Chelsea, but when they have fit players all season and we can barely play our full strength team, its a problem.

If the Football God has decided he doesn't want Chelsea to win the title then they won't win it, no matter how inevitable it seems.
...it's no doubt the same Football God who wanted Leicester to win the title last season, and they did... No matter how inconceivable it seemed!

A 25 game unbeaten run for MU has not done them any good either. The good thing about records is it sets the bar higher. No one starts talking about it until you get close which takes the pressure off.
The 'unbeaten record' thing is so misleading...
Hypothetically a team could stay unbeaten all season, and still go down on 38 points 'cos they drew every game!
Would they still be calling them ' The Invincibles'?

It seems that way..
Move pride aside......The poor result against WHU has become irrelevant now that Chelsea got all 3 points last night-they keep winning, we cant catch em. The PL is played over a season and Chelsea have been better than us in accumulating points. Playing wise, we have been on par with Chelsea although they seem to have a ruthlessness, an arrogance that seems to be lacking in us. Experience will come and maybe the gods, will even things out at a later date.
Let's see how good they are next year when they have European football to contend with. I will no doff my cap until they repeat this years performance whilst playing in Europe.

I see us as clearly one of the top 2 teams all round.

There is no way in many respects that Chelsea are in fact any better other than the key determinant of points.

Gaining 9 points from 9 between now and the end of the season would represent a better reflection of our ability this season than drifting off and being closer to 3rd than 1st.

It is about running through the tape.

Last edited:
Let's see how good they are next year when they have European football to contend with. I will no doff my cap until they repeat this years performance whilst playing in Europe.

They won't be but every team around us will get better.

We are also the most likely to lose players we would like to keep whatever anyone thinks.

Getting Alderweirweld signed onto a contract extension is infinitely more important than keeping Walker. He is part of that glue that we must retain.

Yes you are right . They will also lose players so it will come down to who they get in. Signings are always a chance venture. We should keep everyone and hopefully add. Quality is key and as we know cost is not always a factor so let's hope Poch finds some more gems as Alli and Wanyama and we are genuine PL contenders from the off.

The 'unbeaten record' thing is so misleading...
Hypothetically a team could stay unbeaten all season, and still go down on 38 points 'cos they drew every game!
Would they still be calling them ' The Invincibles'?
Whoah, Deja Vu.

I just posted this in the United thread as my dream for Mourinho next season.

We are also the most likely to lose players we would like to keep whatever anyone thinks.

Getting Alderweirweld signed onto a contract extension is infinitely more important than keeping Walker. He is part of that glue that we must retain.
I don't agree. Every team every season lose a player or two. Chelsea had , in their terms an easy season. They were not stretched as we were or were they challenged by anyone for the PL. We were the only closest team to em but never really went shoulder to shoulder with em. Next season you are right, there will be more better teams and we will be one of them, up there and challenging, if and big if Wembley is not a problem for us.

Everyone says this every single fucking season. It's such a platitude. Every season it's Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City, Woolwich are strengthening and poor Spurs are being left behind because they won't pay their players what's deserved. "FFS LEVY!"

Every single season there's more room at the top of the table than anyone would have predicted in pre-season.

We were in the title race last season, so where did most of the media put us to finish? 5th or 6th, same place they predict us to finish every season. The new story was "Mourinho vs. Guardiola Rule the Premier League", and "This is Liverpool/Klopp's Year!" But I haven't seen a single slice of evidence that Klopp, Guardiola, or Mourinho have done anything to improve their sides.

Guardiola and Mourinho respectively have major fucking work to do. Frankly I think Mourinho's days of being a top manager are behind him. He looks broken. Everyone knows where Liverpool needs to improve, but Klopp refuses to do anything about it and instead hands Dejan Lovren a new contract worth 100k/wk! Guardiola, who knows. This is the biggest test of his career. But I think he's twice the threat of either Jose or Klopp, tbh.

Our rivals are going to spunk a lot of money this summer. But most of it will be hugely wasted, a la Pogba.

Back
Top Bottom