The Trust have called for the board to resign.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fan representation on the board is a small town in Utopia which generates copious amounts hyperbole where the question of accountability arises.

Sure having 'one of us on Board' is a step in the right direction and better than what we have now but one would have to dig quite deep into the grounds of possibility to put up a convincing scenario whereby a single vote might affect or have any influence in the matters of running our Club.

Even if this type of tokenism were extended to the addition of having an equal number of (fan) members on the Board the casting vote would always be in the control of the Chair and no prizes for guessing where that ends up.

On the positive side we would always be able to offer a fans perspective on all matters discussed on the agenda on the negative side there is a likelihood our input may be humoured rather than taken seriously.

Last edited:
Fan representation on the board is a small town in Utopia which generates copious amounts hyperbole where the question of accountability arises.

Sure having 'one of us on Board' is a step in the right direction and better than what we have now but one would have to dig quite deep into the grounds of possibility to put up a convincing scenario whereby a single vote might affect or any influence matters in the running of our Club.

Even if this type of tokenism were extended to the addition of having an equal number of (fan) members on the Board the casting vote would always be in the control of the Chair and no prizes for guessing where that ends up.

On the positive side we would always be able to offer a fans perspective on all matters discussed on the agenda on the negative side there is a likelihood our input may be humoured rather than taken seriously.
It’s nothing more than a wee pat on the head.

It’s phrases like “maybe some other things too” that give me the shakes. Not having a pop, but do we as fans actually know what we’d want a say on? Are we informed enough?

Also, a guy who has a season ticket as he just likes a day out and thinks Son looks great in white had a vote? But I’ve spent thousands traveling to watch Spurs for decades and I don’t? Just because of where I live means a season ticket isn’t possible?
I perhaps wasn't clear in my argument as I was thinking out loud, but IMO we do know what we are entitled to have a say on and what we're not. Those things I mention are invaluable aspects of the club. It's like having a constitution. There are some aspects which should not be meddled with, at least without fan approval. That's why Everton put the ground move to the fans. That's why Cardiff fans protested when Vinny Tan changed their colours. That's why we protested the Stratford move. And why the ESL has caused such a stir. It's basic common sense. But when you have owners who don't care about consulting the fans, that's when you need something set in stone. Of course fans were pissed off when we signed Sissoko but no one is going to take to the streets about it.

Your second point...of course you will get some people who have a season ticket and are not proper Spurs, and you'll get plenty of people like yourself who are the inverse. There's no completely fair way of ensuring the right people get a vote, just the same as there being no fair way of ensuring everyone who deserves one gets a cup final ticket. I think a season ticket is a basic way of sorting the wheat from the chaff; a causal fan who has only supported the club a couple of years due to us getting to the CL final and would like us to be in the ESL is less likely to have one, a membership only costs £50 or whatever. There will always be exceptions, but by and large if you are dedicating such a sum of money and time to supporting Spurs, you have the right to a vote on such key "constitutional" matters. All IMO.

Of course there's no perfect way of protecting the clubs from unscrupulous owners, but I think something has to be done and IMO what I propose is both workable and at least relatively fair.

I perhaps wasn't clear in my argument as I was thinking out loud, but IMO we do know what we are entitled to have a say on and what we're not. Those things I mention are invaluable aspects of the club. It's like having a constitution. There are some aspects which should not be meddled with, at least without fan approval. That's why Everton put the ground move to the fans. That's why Cardiff fans protested when Vinny Tan changed their colours. That's why we protested the Stratford move. And why the ESL has caused such a stir. It's basic common sense. But when you have owners who don't care about consulting the fans, that's when you need something set in stone. Of course fans were pissed off when we signed Sissoko but no one is going to take to the streets about it.

Your second point...of course you will get some people who have a season ticket and are not proper Spurs, and you'll get plenty of people like yourself who are the inverse. There's no completely fair way of ensuring the right people get a vote, just the same as there being no fair way of ensuring everyone who deserves one gets a cup final ticket. I think a season ticket is a basic way of sorting the wheat from the chaff; a causal fan who has only supported the club a couple of years due to us getting to the CL final and would like us to be in the ESL is less likely to have one, a membership only costs £50 or whatever. There will always be exceptions, but by and large if you are dedicating such a sum of money and time to supporting Spurs, you have the right to a vote on such key "constitutional" matters. All IMO.

Of course there's no perfect way of protecting the clubs from unscrupulous owners, but I think something has to be done and IMO what I propose is both workable and at least relatively fair.
All seems fine man.

I wonder what would have happened, had we had a similar setup ten years ago. Would we have classed the new ground as a “stadium move”? If so, what kind of details would we have to enter into to make the correct decision?

Would we just ask “should we build a stadium”? Or do we look into the funding options, best rates, effect on transfer budgets, salary of players, cost and revenue from the wider project, etc before making an informed decision?

All seems fine man.

I wonder what would have happened, had we had a similar setup ten years ago. Would we have classed the new ground as a “stadium move”? If so, what kind of details would we have to enter into to make the correct decision?

Would we just ask “should we build a stadium”? Or do we look into the funding options, best rates, effect on transfer budgets, salary of players, cost and revenue from the wider project, etc before making an informed decision?
My sense would be that the club would propose a move, sort out all the details, and then we would vote on it, yes or no. Go or stay at the old WHL.

All seems fine man.

Speaking as someone who has been on various NGO/youth org boards and worked for an NGO and did a lot of work for a board since he was 14: The executive board/club staff will do the ground work for all decisions and present cases to the board members to read up on and then debate and finally come to a decision on which option to support/go by.

To use the stadium move as an example since that is already being used. The clubs staff and executive board would go over all the factors before the meeting, put together a few cases and then send them out to the board before the meeting to read up on. Then at the meeting someone from the executive board would present each case for the full board, who would then discuss and then vote on it. Alternatively say that they need more info before making a decision and send the figurative ball back to the executive board to do more prep work before the next meeting.

Based on my experiences that is usually how it works. Or something like that.

I believe we still have minority shareholders. Now I do not know how many and whether they are owned by Season ticket holders but perhaps someone who has retained a share in the club despite never getting any dividends deserves to sit on the board than an active trust supporter.

Does the 50+1 really work that well though?

The german league is a procession - we moan about it, but the PL is clearly by some distance the most successful set up.
Well their fans are not protesting like english fans , they didn’t touch the Super League.
So they may not be happier than you, but they a lot fucking happier than me

Massive OG by MU fans getting the PP of the Liverpool game. Because of their fixture congestion they lost 2 matches this week they might not have done if played more spaced out. The team had to arrive yesterday at 2 pm to ensure they got into the ground safely. Doubt they were happy about that either. I really hope our fans do not go down the same route.

Massive OG by MU fans getting the PP of the Liverpool game. Because of their fixture congestion they lost 2 matches this week they might not have done if played more spaced out. The team had to arrive yesterday at 2 pm to ensure they got into the ground safely. Doubt they were happy about that either. I really hope our fans do not go down the same route.
Their fans don’t care, quite rightly it’s a medium / long term play to get them out

Imagine Man United fans with Enic at the helm.

Nice stadium and training ground, no superstar players, no trophies, limited champions league football, best players constantly encouraged to leave to win things

Bet they'll be well happy.

I know you believe what you post. And I respect you for that.

I blame you entirely for my late nights though. Just can't shake you off.

I think to myself I'll give it 10 minutes to see if he responds then go to bed and every time you pop up with just a couple of minutes to spare.

My other half is starting to give me suspicious looks.
If you ask stevee stevee nicely he’ll send you a framed photo to put on your bedside table

This would match the one your other half probably has!

It would be difficult even for us fans to pick a worse manager than levy. 15m a year on a has been who doesn’t fit the club at all.
But some advocate Benitez which wouldn’t be any different

Back
Top Bottom