The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We all know that United, Brighton and Liverpool could lose all their remaining games, absolutely gifting us 4th place.

And we'd drop that gift down a fucking drain before we even unwrapped it.

We fucked it; but major damage was done before then.

Wolves (A)
Saints (A)
Everton (A)
Bmuff (H)

Shoulda been 12 points on what was considered our "easy run"..... We got 2.

From there scrapping a feasible draw against each of Dippers, NC & Man U would have had us rather comfy right now.

That was Stellinis run wasnt it?

Could he wrong I'm trying to repress a lot this season

But yeah that's what I mean mate the Everton and saints games the worst offenders where we where 3-1 up and 1-0 against 10 men and we sat back and blew it.

That was Stellinis run wasnt it?

Could he wrong I'm trying to repress a lot this season

But yeah that's what I mean mate the Everton and saints games the worst offenders where we where 3-1 up and 1-0 against 10 men and we sat back and blew it.

1st 2 were still on Conte's watch (also see the 2 shit cup exits) ; a 4 match run which created the cloud which Stellini failed to drag us from under.

I don't resent Stellini for failing to do so, but we should have had a clean break with Mason from the off.... I said as much after the Milan lame-fest.

1st 2 were still on Conte's watch (also see the 2 shit cup exits) ; a 4 match run which created the cloud which Stellini failed to drag us from under.

I don't resent Stellini for failing to do so, but we should have had a clean break with Mason from the off.... I said as much after the Milan lame-fest.

Fair enough mate

And yeah terrible decision to keep him around and arguably Levy and Pats worst one in a long time (well since the Nuno appointment)

Bloke wasn't cut out for the job and only ever knew how to continue what Conte was doing that the players had obviously had enough off

Thankfully I'm hoping it seems Levy has taken this as his final lesson that he needs to step back from running the football side of things, and we are now trying to appoint the people we need to get back to being an attacking young side

Fair enough mate

And yeah terrible decision to keep him around and arguably Levy and Pats worst one in a long time (well since the Nuno appointment)

Bloke wasn't cut out for the job and only ever knew how to continue what Conte was doing that the players had obviously had enough off

Thankfully I'm hoping it seems Levy has taken this as his final lesson that he needs to step back from running the football side of things, and we are now trying to appoint the people we need to get back to being an attacking young side
Joe Biden Politics GIF by The Democrats

History will repeat itself , if he has not worked it out in nearly 23 years, I doubt he is about to start.

Wolves away we were the better team.
Southampton away we were robbed by a poor decision in injury team
Everton was a fucking shambles. You don't sit back against 10 men and let them keep shooting until they score....in injury time
Bournemouth, once the chaos stopped and Sanchez went off, we looked like the only team that would win. And we lost. In injury time.
Liverpool away, I didn't watch it, but by all accounts, had we kept playing at 3-3 we were the only team that would win. And we lost it. In injury time.

I'm seeing a pattern.

Everton was a fucking shambles. You don't sit back against 10 men and let them keep shooting until they score....in injury time
Bournemouth, once the chaos stopped and Sanchez went off, we looked like the only team that would win. And we lost. In injury time.
Liverpool away, I didn't watch it, but by all accounts, had we kept playing at 3-3 we were the only team that would win. And we lost it. In injury time.

I'm seeing a pattern.

Didn't stop playing against Liverpool tbf we scored and then from kick off almost they hoofed up a nothing ball and Moura played a terrible back pass straight to Jota who should have been sent off earlier l

I'm seeing a pattern.

The being flogged to death during preseason coming home to roost. Maybe they’re knackered from all that constant defending for 90 minutes because Conte hated us having the ball.

Didn't stop playing against Liverpool tbf we scored and then from kick off almost they hoofed up a nothing ball and Moura played a terrible back pass straight to Jota who should have been sent off earlier l
I didn't mean we stopped playing against Liverpool, I meant at 3-3 it appeared that only 1 team would win it if the game carried on. And like Bournemouth - it was us. Except it wasn't.
The being flogged to death during preseason coming home to roost. Maybe they’re knackered from all that constant defending for 90 minutes because Conte hated us having the ball.
Or, my take in general - in games like Bournemouth and Liverpool, we had such a poor start we had to work 10 x harder to get back into the game. We were solid Vs Palace, never really looked like conceding until very late on when they actually started to throw men forward, and even then Son probably should have scored to make it 2. We didn't even really have to work that hard Vs Brighton as the ref was a Spurs fan. The last 20 minutes of that game were uneventful.

We were all saying the squad looked lazy and slow under Mourinho. And now we're all saying they were worked too hard under Conte.
Pochettino was said to "work them like dogs" in training.
Maybe the players need to take some personal responsibility. The fittest players are often the ones that succeed these days. All the talent in the world isn't enough if you can't keep up. Think about the likes of Matt Le Tissier and even Ndombele.

If Mourinho wasn't training them hard enough and they weren't fit enough, they should have gone the extra mile and put extra training in. That's on them.
If Conte pushed them too hard, injury aside, they should have gotten the requisite rest between sessions. Knowing these idiots, they were playing Fortnite or something.

I didn't mean we stopped playing against Liverpool, I meant at 3-3 it appeared that only 1 team would win it if the game carried on. And like Bournemouth - it was us. Except it wasn't.

Or, my take in general - in games like Bournemouth and Liverpool, we had such a poor start we had to work 10 x harder to get back into the game. We were solid Vs Palace, never really looked like conceding until very late on when they actually started to throw men forward, and even then Son probably should have scored to make it 2. We didn't even really have to work that hard Vs Brighton as the ref was a Spurs fan. The last 20 minutes of that game were uneventful.

We were all saying the squad looked lazy and slow under Mourinho. And now we're all saying they were worked too hard under Conte.
Pochettino was said to "work them like dogs" in training.
Maybe the players need to take some personal responsibility. The fittest players are often the ones that succeed these days. All the talent in the world isn't enough if you can't keep up. Think about the likes of Matt Le Tissier and even Ndombele.

If Mourinho wasn't training them hard enough and they weren't fit enough, they should have gone the extra mile and put extra training in. That's on them.
If Conte pushed them too hard, injury aside, they should have gotten the requisite rest between sessions. Knowing these idiots, they were playing Fortnite or something.

We’ve actually had to do this all season haven’t we. Must be exhausting both physically and mentally. My god, we’ve been badly managed this season.

We’ve actually had to do this all season haven’t we. Must be exhausting both physically and mentally. My god, we’ve been badly managed this season.
It's not all management though, is it. It's the players own mentality at least as much.
Against Newcastle and Liverpool, no one even looked pissed off at being 3 down inside 15 minutes. Any other team would be fucking fuming. But they just looked bored, like it didn't matter.
Players need to take responsibility even if a manager is giving them questionable instructions.

It's not all management though, is it. It's the players own mentality at least as much.
Against Newcastle and Liverpool, no one even looked pissed off at being 3 down inside 15 minutes. Any other team would be fucking fuming. But they just looked bored, like it didn't matter.
Players need to take responsibility even if a manager is giving them questionable instructions.

In fairness I didn't watch either of those games. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Totally agree. I think its sort of flown beneath the radar a bit as the spotlight has been more on Levy (rightly as its ultimately on him) but Conte this season was beyond diabolical, it almost feels like sabotage. The pre season excess in a world cup year , running before games knackering the players, the same formation and personnel every game, the treatment of Bissouma, Spence and Gil, the general sulking. I noticed the other day Jamie Donleys dad was even blaming him for getting the U21s relegated which ties in with the way he treated them.

I'm not saying we'd finish above them, but it's interesting to see how this 'revitalised' United side under Ten Hag which spent a whole lot of money in the summer and somehow managed to win the League Cup (and could win the FA Cup) don't look like they'll finish far away from us in the table.

Makes you wonder how good we could be if we actually sorted ourselves out - oh, and contrasts who gets a tongue bath vs a beating from the media.

:harryhmm:

Fair enough mate

It has helped me to understand why the dressing rooms at the megadome were ripped out a few times before they got them right.

Back
Top Bottom