The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston "not famous anymore" Villa

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We played the 2nd XI (technically the XII-XXII) and it worked... just!

Goes to show we do have a squad that can cope with Championship opposition.. but in Janssen, i'm afraid we have a back-up striker that could barely cope with Shrewsbury... sad, but true.
Poor man's Soldado is being polite from 'The Boy Line-Aker' ...I really think he isn't cut out for the PL.
Top Scorer in the Eredivisie he may be... but it just goes to show that Eriksen and Vertonghen must've been miles ahead of the quality there... Janssen was just about at his level.
He is better than what played today. He was short of match fitness for me. Maybe in the Eredvise league players around him played to his strenghts.With us, he has to stand alone.

I think he's just looking for the ball, he goes wide as Mido , soldado & many of our out of form strikers do.

I think once he gets his feet on the ground , he's a real talent
But when the overlapping FB's are looking for a cross he's hopelessly out of position. Caught out laying the ball off with a 2 yard pass, and then turning to get in the box and it's too late. His positioning is poor imo.

Can we still be friends?

I fully agree although modern CF do not seem to stay central. Does he play this way as he is expected to or is ge asked to play the old fashion centre forward way and use him as a target man. The way Chelsea play suits Costa staying down the middle and long ball football., Maybe Im wrong and Janssen hasnt got a clue or he is working his bollocks off? I feel hecwill coje good.

Any chance of a spooning ?

Nah but I agree ,we stick with him & I think we have a real talent on our hands

Im sure Poch got some valuable insights on the second eleven by playing 3 at the back. Simply doesnt work well without top notch wing backs and, in particular, the creativity of an Eriksen. Dropping a defender and adding another in attack worked wonders. Live and learn.

Poor Vinnie looks like he needs a map to goal. Rarely has the ball facing it. Still hoping the penny will drop at some stage, but he wont be playing many minutes in the first team on current form.
You could say that about any system, better the player? I feel we are all getting wrapped up in systems. Chelsea use 3 CBs and get everyone behind the ball because Luis is weak and past his best and Cahill cant defend running towards his own goal. We play 3 CBs who can all defend well. The 3 yesterday were solid and allowed the rest to get forward..
I feel Poch got it spot ol. There were a lot of changes.

Think poch got the formation wrong too. 3 attacking players never looked potent. Not surprised a formation change resulted in a couple of goals
Disagree, he lost a defender, Alderwierd to push forward , we scored. They tried to counter this by making 3 subs to get back in the game.The game opened up and we were too good for them.we won 2 nil, he got it spot on over 90 mins.

I think Poch was ATTEMPTING an Ajax/Barca by telling the players "THIS IS the system..." the Tottenham way if you will??
Its up to the players to adapt to whatever system the Manager wants... whether it's 'Push and Run' or 'Hoof it and Hope'!

What yesterday showed us is that we DO need the right players to play that system, though ironically, I think Trippier is cut out for that system, seeing as he's one of the best crossers of the ball at the club...
He just needs Walker's pace and he'd be unstoppable!

Maybe I was harsh on Janssen ... but really, how many more opportunities does he need before we cut our losses?
Maybe he's just not right for the system...

Maybe Stoke or West Ham would suit him better??

Jesus, there have been some teams rock up at the lane with little intent but this lot took the biscuit..
A minimum of 6 at the back at all times.. shocking.. well done to Poch for swapping it round when he did. Felt sorry for Vince but he was rather ineffective..

Woolwich or Chelsea next round please.. this was the fa cup and seemed such a non event, we need a big game to get the FA cup juices flowing..

Loved the Villa Fans chant "Champions of Europe....You'll never sing that"

With a performance like the one they normally produce against us "Premier League team...you'll never sing that" would have been an adequate response.

Loved the Villa Fans chant "Champions of Europe....You'll never sing that"
With a performance like the one they normally produce against us "Premier League team...you'll never sing that" would have been an adequate response.

But the thing is they can 'cos they were...
However, "Premier League... you'll never be back!" Might've put them in their place...

Ahhh, the genius of hindsight 24 hours later!!

Thought you lead the team out in style......
C1qRMHmWIAAkW48.jpg

Not quite navy blue apple watch strap there.

Think poch got the formation wrong too. 3 attacking players never looked potent. Not surprised a formation change resulted in a couple of goals
That could be largely down to having Trippier and Davies play, though. Rose and Walker have so much pace and penetration that they're almost attackers themselves - so against a parked bus with those two, I don't think we'd have been so offensively lacking.

Back
Top Bottom