***THE MIGHTY TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V BRAIN LEVERKUSEN ****

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Abuse isn't passion mate. You don't abuse something that you're supposed to love.
I respect your view. But, IMO...

When people shout criticism at Spurs, it shows they care. Silent indifference is worse. Football is about being alive and getting your emotions out, not sitting in silence. Rage is not the opposite of love. The opposite of love is indifference.

I'm normally a fairly positive fan but at Newcastle away last year I was furious at the players and let them know it (I completely lost it, lol). Only because I was hurt and let down, because I cared. I care because I love THFC.

At the same time I also believe some people have crazily high expectations, and no patience or sense of understanding, they can be incredibly bitter in their criticism, and they let the rest of us down and make us look like mugs...this is very irritating to hear at games. All I ask is the players and fans both try. I think the players were trying last night (don't think commitment was the problem) but not all of the "fans".

Worst atmosphere I've ever been in among Spurs fans. Perhaps because I was sitting up the side near the Leverkusen fans. But it was largely silent, not even people shouting much encouragement, swearing, or even criticism of the players. I'd rather hear abuse than nothing, at least it shows passion. It made the Paxton seem like an excellent atmosphere. I feel like this must really get through to the players. It was as if we weren't there to lift them or to make them buck up their ideas, as we are at the Lane.

Was this because of where I was sitting? Regardless of the performance, it really marred my experience of the game. I don't know who all these people were. Maybe West Stand regulars? Or people who don't normally watch Spurs? Of course there were some vocal fans in among them, but not enough. At times you could hear the players shouting to each other. I know part of the problem is sound doesn't carry well at Wembley; I could sometimes hear songs from other parts of the ground. But it wasn't just that.

I dread next season at Wembley will be a continuation of this. Both on and off the pitch.

I said to my old man as we walked down Wembley Way, it felt really odd last night. When you're walking to the Lan you feel like your amongst "your people". Likeminded fans who've been through the same ups and downs as you. Just didn't feel that at all last night, felt like being amongst strangers (technically I was but you know what I mean).Just not the sort of people I associate with Tottenham.

truth is we don't have more than 40k hardcore support.

I respect your view. But, IMO...

When people shout criticism at Spurs, it shows they care. Silent indifference is worse. Football is about being alive and getting your emotions out, not sitting in silence. Rage is not the opposite of love. The opposite of love is indifference.

I'm normally a fairly positive fan but at Newcastle away last year I was furious at the players and let them know it (I completely lost it, lol). Only because I was hurt and let down, because I cared. I care because I love THFC.

At the same time I also believe some people have crazily high expectations, and no patience or sense of understanding, they can be incredibly bitter in their criticism, and they let the rest of us down and make us look like mugs...this is very irritating to hear at games. All I ask is the players and fans both try. I think the players were trying last night (don't think commitment was the problem) but not all of the "fans".

At the Lane different rules apply to separate areas of the ground, or at least they used to. I'm not so sure these days, anyway, I remember when people in the Park Lane used to get punched out for abusing players when the same stuff would be tolerated in the East stand and the Paxton. I understand frustration but it clearly affects the players when it goes to far. There aren't many rules for fans, but I object to people who think the price of admission grants them the right to abuse - I'm probably old fashioned, but I think if you go, you should support, regardless of what you're watching.

If we're blaming the size of the pitch we're getting pretty desperate. The new ground will have the same size pitch as Wembley.

Dunno, I reckon there's something in it... It's the equivalent of two tennis courts in metres squared across the overall dimensions, or something, and even without maths I could see it hinder us in Monaco and last night.

Our pressing style is all about getting up in players' faces, swarming them, esp. in midfield. If each player has that extra few yards of space to close down, opponents have more time to pick a pass around us. At the Lane, Verts or Dier just side-step into an attacker's path to block them, and before they know it, another Spur is on them too – at Wembley it's a few extra yards for Verts to close them down, a few extra yards for the 2nd man to catch up, and our midfield pressure/dominance is blunted.

And that's just tactical, running all those extra yards – and we do run a lot as a playing style – will add to fatigue over 90 mins.

As for the new stadium, maybe a season at Wembley will prepare us for it, but for now it certainly doesn't help us.

No? Maybe I am just desperate...

Noone should be surprised that the atmosphere was pony.
Regardless of acoustics or our performance; 85,000 means the best part of 2 in 3 are not 'regulars' or 'core' support. How could they be? (not to say that being regular makes you loud by the way)
Loud support is still there but it's massively diluted so therefore significantly weakened.

That hold your phone light up bullshit before the game made me think I was at a Robbie Williams concert or something.

I think the players are knackered. Poch might have to have a look at his methods. I'm obviously no sports science expert, but I can't see how double training sessions can work when you have midweek games. I can understand having a full week of preparation geared to peaking at the weekend, but throw a Wednesday into the mix and it must be difficult. When do they get a chance to rest?
I don't really think he works them into the ground form Saturday to Wednesday and from Thursday to Sunday.
I would think the only ones who are working hard are the rehabs.
Any Sport scientist will know you need rest and recovery to attain peak performance. You don't get that by running people into the ground.
You have to rotate when your playing games thick and fast. That's the conundrum, when you have a young, inexperienced squad some players will have to play all the time.

Well, aren't you nasty? Did you actually read what I said? I took two 11 year old boys to the game and if we had waited for the game to be over, we would have missed our train home. So yes, we left in the 86th minute.

Not sure how to tag Joe Clash Joe Clash oh I did it! But Joe, maybe this is an example of why I don't post very often and just lurk.

:dembelefingers:

I did read what you said but fans leaving early is a sore point with me as I really struggle to get to games due to business commitments and would have loved to have been there last night.

However I was over the top in my comments and unreservedly apologise

I am sorry if my remarks upset you

Easy to say from your armchair. You have absolutely no idea of what it's like. You were giving it all that about buying the package, and then wimped out with some wanky excuse. You're completely out of order criticising mothers with small children of leaving 4 minutes early. Tracy made the effort to go to the game which is far more than you did. Stick your moralising up your arse you smug old cunt.

Well well the forum drunk has started early today.

I do know what it's like as I have been following and attending Spurs games since the early 60s both home and away

I did not "wimp out with some wanky excuse" as I am currently in the middle of a house move and settling some business affairs in Turkey as I told you but alcohol dulls the brain
Eh Joe

How long are we on the forum for this time before you ask Case to delete your account and then come snivelling back within a week because this is your life mate and probably no-one else will speak to you outside it

Are you still spending mornings deleting your drunken posts from the previous night?

You know the racist ones against Americans or anyone else that disagrees with you
The self appointed forum watchdog!

But I won't put you on ignore like your mate Scott does as you're occasionally amusing

A classic study of one of lifes' losers on a long slow meltdown

Why don't you take Audere's advice and get help?

Maybe you could get a joint appointment with Gibbsy

:pochbye:

But you are Spurs so can't be all bad

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned already, qualification is still totally in our hands and quite realisable.

You're bang on Nick, the Monaco game is nearly 3 weeks away, and as we've seen in the last month, football can change pretty fucking quickly., Harry could be back banging them in by then and a some of our 'off' players could be right back on form.
Fuck throwing in the towel, it's all still to play for :kaneear:

Well well the forum drunk has started early today.

I do know what it's like as I have been following and attending Spurs games since the early 60s both home and away

I did not "wimp out with some wanky excuse" as I am currently in the middle of a house move and settling some business affairs in Turkey as I told you but alcohol dulls the brain
Eh Joe

How long are we on the forum for this time before you ask Case to delete your account and then come snivelling back within a week because this is your life mate and probably no-one else will speak to you outside it

Are you still spending mornings deleting your drunken posts from the previous night?

You know the racist ones against Americans or anyone else that disagrees with you
The self appointed forum watchdog!

But I won't put you on ignore like your mate Scott does as you're occasionally amusing

A classic study of one of lifes' losers on a long slow meltdown

Why don't you take Audere's advice and get help?

Maybe you could get a joint appointment with Gibbsy

:pochbye:

But you are Spurs so can't be all bad

Fuck off baz. You went grovelling back to Tracy to apologise because you knew you were in the wrong - I just pointed it out. Then you went on an infantile disagree spree you fucking child.

You don't know what it's like getting out of the new Wembley and you've no idea what it was like for a mum with two small kids, so waffling on about the early 60's cuts no ice I'm afraid. As for the rest of the post you have no idea what my life is like. I've just moved house like you, but surely that doesn't rule out an evening at the football? It was, and remains a pathetic excuse, and to read you giving stick to one of our fans who made the effort shows you up for the petulant old bore that you are.

As for the rest of your rant, stick it up your cock. If I choose to remain on friendly terms with Scott, that's my fucking business, now put me on ignore or fuck off, you mental old goat. Do you understand?

Shit stadium costing us, we roll these teams over at home....I'd rather play these games away than at Wembley it's an awful stadium dog shit stadium.

I'm not so sure it's just this particular stadium, but I do think we are at a disadvantage, the reality is we are playing 3 away games and 3 games at a neutral venue in this group.

Back
Top Bottom