The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
He was everywhere, first to every ball, pressed and was in our faces. They were a team of energy in the first half (they paid the price in the 2nd half) but he was their energy and in the 2nd half whilst his teammates levels wilted he was still working hard, impressive.
I thought the early flukey goal got them going. The crowd got behind them and they went for it. I noticed that about Gueye last season when I watched Villa, he never gave up. He was great for them before he got injured and still the best consistent player they had after.
I think we may have missed one there. Yet I suppose if Pochettino can get someone who he knows and has lots of PL experience then he will.
I just thought he fitted our style and his work rate is good. Just as good a player as some of the names the were bandied about & for much less. Probably better with the ball than Wanyama tbh.

Last edited:
I know and I love him but picture is less dominant when first games of the season are factored in, don't know why they get left out. He was also hooked off most of those early games too I recall.
We bossed Stoke in the second game and he played full 90 minutes. What lost us the match was Pochettino taking Kane off and playing without a striker. That then allowed Stoke to push up knowing we had nothing and we drew 2-2.

We also played well against Leicester. Dembele got subbed off for Carroll and Leicester could have ended up winning the game. Next game after that was the 0-0 against Everton where Dembele got injured and Alli then made a name for himself by getting a run of games. We should have won that too.

Just seemed like Spurs all season - draw too many games.

I think the stats are in the 26 games in which Mason or CArrol did not start we won 17 drew 8 and lost 1
In the10 games either of them started we won 2 drew 5 and lost 3.
The Dembele factor since October was
with moose: won 15 drawn 8 lost 0
without moose: won 1 drawn 2 lost 3

Edit: Not that we are a one man team more to do with the consistency /quality of the squad depth.
Yet we are a very young squad/team and a squad/team that is far from the finished article and improving.

Terrible 1st half against a rag arsed Everton team, only looked better when we ditched a DM and brought on a CF.
Room for improvement is an understatement.

We
Like I said 7 of the starting 11 had one competitive match after their holidays, Vertonghen not one. So thats 8 players out of the 11. Eriksen has had sporadic time pre season.
Woolwich will not be playing their Euro contingent as Wenger feels they need rest and time to get mach fit.
We had 10 of them, plus Lamela.
So, why would it be a surprise that the team are rusty?
I notice the rustiness of most, except maybe Toby, in the inter game. Especially the rustiness of Dele. Eriksen hasn't performed pre season. Not really had a full game on the tour did he?
Janssen looks fit and sharp though he's usually used to starting a week earlier.

The fluke goal had an effect. Lifted them and the crowd. We were then maybe searching for the equaliser too much.
I honestly don't think we were that bad.
I don't think our keepers were under it and pulling off worlds to keep us in it.

Well, since you say it yourself: If too little game time pre-season is an explanation, why don't they get to play some full games pre-season?

I am not blaiming players. But surely a claim to be ambitious team like can do better getting key players up and running before a 3 pt. game, let alone a whole team of them.

I don't care about all the explanations - explainable as individual factors may be, the whole thing is largely inexcusable. For Spurs and a whole lot of other clubs, this season and seasons before it.

Look on the bright side,it's one more point than we had at the same time last season.

Seriously, i think we played well against a team of players jockeying for a regular starting spot in a new managers starting eleven.

You could plainly see that Koeman was not going to allow Rose or Walker to waltz down either wing without a fight, and he out thought Poch in the first half. In the second half we were better organised and could have racked up two or three goals.

Early days, an away point against what i think will be a well drilled, good defending team.

Absolutely awful today up until Jansen's arrival. After that could of and should have won ( said that a lot last season )

I was seriously worried about things at half time 1-0 and what was it ? One shit shot in 45 minutes.....and fuck me did that bench looked light today. Jansen aside there was not a whole lot of options there to save the game. Thank god someone woke up !

Everton played 3 at the back. Seem to remember at least 1 team did that successfully last year. By playing wing backs further forward it seems to negate our attacking full backs.
I do not have the facts to back this up, I know others on here have better memories on these type of tactics?
Either way a very poor first hour. We now have a plan B. However if we start Jannsen unless Chadli or N'jie are on the bench and we are not winning on the hour mark next Saturday then we have no plan B again to bring on.

I can go on what I saw on MOTD, which wasn't a lot (I do wish they would show more action and keep the chit-chat to a minimum!). Game of two halves, definitely room for improvement but we didn't lose and it is only the first game, so onwards and upwards - can't wait for next week.

I thought Poch was still raging but playing it cool in his BBC interview. Preseason and first match notwithstanding I think he was clear that the first half fell below the standards he expects.

The first half was cancer. The 2nd was 100% saved by Janssen, I loved his contribution, hustled and stressed
total-daily-repair-toothpaste-outofpack.png
and created a lot of chances. I hope he starts the next one.

I thought Poch was still raging but playing it cool in his BBC interview. Preseason and first match notwithstanding I think he was clear that the first half fell below the standards he expects.
He was dripping with sweat. I hope he gave someone a beating.

Kinda funny how before the game most people said we were good with depth and now seems most are questioning it maybe its just me?
the bench was very weak today, I'll have to admit. No chadli, no Njije, need someone to put ants in the heads of the defenders in the last 20-10 minutes. I'm a bit dissapointed that Edwards didn't get the nod, if only for his ability to pick a ball.

Kinda funny how before the game most people said we were good with depth and now seems most are questioning it maybe its just me?

We had Wimmer, Njie, Chadli and Dembele out, so the bench was a bit shallow.

Edit: Forgot about Son too :sonhmm: I think the lineup looked particularly light because we were missing so many of our attacking midfielders.

Last edited:
Alot of football is attitude (look at LC last season), confidance and belief. Once equalised we grew and Janssen has that freshness we seem to lack (sometimes). I thought Wanyama did well getting in the way and giving the ball early.
Once we were back in the game, on top, we looked good.

So. Who's getting dropped for the Palace game in favour for Janssen?

Dele or Eriksen?
We will see a change of formation in some games. When only one forward is suited, I would swap Janssen for Kane. If we play both then , as yesrtday Dier o Wanyama. I dont think its as simple as suggested. Against CP, I would go for it, two forwards.

Positives: Janssen
Negatives: Alli Kane Eriksen
Not a bad result but highlights the need for options in attack when Alli and Eriksen aren't doing anything.
Worried about Alli. Think he's played like that for the last few months now. Disappears too much and was sloppy as fuck in possession today.
Ok result though so let's not be too negative (he says after being largely negative :dwi:)

What's in a name, eh?
...this Dele guy seems like an inferior imposter to Alli... Who switched them???

We will see a change of formation in some games. When only one forward is suited, I would swap Janssen for Kane. If we play both then , as yesrtday Dier o Wanyama. I dont think its as simple as suggested. Against CP, I would go for it, two forwards.

I agree... the one thing that Janssen offers is the opportunity to CHANGE the formation. He's not a like-for-like Kane replacement (which beggars the question; do we still need one of those as well this window?)

Wanyama OR Dier would make sense in DM, but with Dembele out for another 2 matches, I guess we just have to stick it out for now.

Whilsy I agree to have two midfield 'destroyers' away at Everton made some kind of sense, it only works if the creative outlets in midfield like Dele & Eriksen do THEIR bit!

But yesterdays' starting line up does seem rather defensive-minded to play them BOTH at home though.... Winks or Mason in for one of them maybe?

Back
Top Bottom