The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
In the end, frustrating to draw (said that a few times last season) but given how bad we were in the first half, and how fortunate we were to only be 1-0 down, it's certainly a relief to see us improve and actually get something from the game.
Everton's defence seems to over perform every time we face them - it was even like that under Martinez last year - infuriating that we'll probably see them ship 4 goals next week.

Credit to Vorm who did a good job filling in for the hamstring-injured Lloris. That save just before half time was vital after Rose decided to have a brain fart.

Wanyama having a bit of a rocky start there, but I'd be loathe to pin too much blame on him: I think a lot of players were underperforming in that first half as Everton stifled us. Felt like every rebound seemed to go their way, and the referee didn't exactly do us any favours.

Big positive though: it feels great to have an actual proper striker that we can bring on when we need a boost. It's pretty clear that adding Janssen to the mix and dropping Kane deeper is the solution when we have teams (like Everton today) doing their best to mark Kane out of the game.
If the N'Koudou move does happen then it'll also be nice to have an option for CAM rotation (other than Son when he's back); substituting him for Alli may well have helped.

What is it with us and goalkeepers, always amazing when we are in town. The Joe Hart performance against us a few seasons back was one of the best if not the best goalkeeping performance of my lifetime for pretty much any team. Then Joe Hart goes back to being Joe Hart when he plays for England.

Think if I went in goal against us I would gain superman powers and become Manuel neuer.
And we rarely get to play teams when they're at a low point. Noticed that?

Keep Dele and Eriksen.

I'd say not play both Dier and Wanyama.
We don't need them both. It is counter intuitive playing two DMs unless you are sitting back. We were crowded out up top in the first half. Personally I would just play Dier and put Wanyama on the bench (he plays some silly tackles). Play Janssen and Kane up top (with Kane playing a free role). We have a decent back up striker now we don't need to rely totally on Kane. Maybe even push Dele back to CM but let him bomb forward.
It was refreshing to have a plan B this time though. Could do with another AM with pace.

What is it with us and goalkeepers, always amazing when we are in town. The Joe Hart performance against us a few seasons back was one of the best if not the best goalkeeping performance of my lifetime for pretty much any team. Then Joe Hart goes back to being Joe Hart when he plays for England.

Think if I went in goal against us I would gain superman powers and become Manuel neuer.

I think it has something to do with Poch (and AVB before him) encouraging players to take shots from outside the box. Only Kane can score those with any kind of consistency, so naturally opposition goalkeepers end up looking world class.

Fair result.

Everton better first half. Spurs bossed the 2nd half.

Could have been a cleaver sub by Poch to keep Wanyama on, give him minutes in the team, keep in feeling positive, rather than being subbed first game.

Jansen looked lovely! Walker also very good. Super goal, good build up well executed!

1 point more than this time last season.

MOTM Gueye
A lot of people laughed at me the I said Gueye would be a decent cheap DM for us to buy. Just because of the fact he played in a relegated side.
Cost Everton £7m and he'll probably do ok.

A lot of people laughed at me the I said Gueye would be a decent cheap DM for us to buy. Just because of the fact he played in a relegated side.
Cost Everton £7m and he'll probably do ok.
He was everywhere, first to every ball, pressed and was in our faces. They were a team of energy in the first half (they paid the price in the 2nd half) but he was their energy and in the 2nd half whilst his teammates levels wilted he was still working hard, impressive.

Thought Gueye had a great first half but when we got on top in the second half he was nowhere to be seen and ended up just running around like a headless chicken. But yeah, his first half performance was real good. He'll end up being a great signing for them.

Agree. He's one of the good Gueyes. :dierno:
BbgL7x3.gif

Didn't he miss the last three last season?

So today and two more?

Only missed Southampton (2-1 loss) and Newcastle (5-1 loss) last season. Now he's missed one this season against Everton (1-1 draw) and he'll miss Palace, Liverpool and Stoke. He'll be back for our home game against Sunderland. If our last three results without him are to go by, the next three won't be easy.

I think he played both Wanyama and Dier as we dropped lots of points when Dembele didn't start and one of Carroll or Mason had to. I think Wanyama was the closet to a strong, aggressive ball winner capable of distribution. However, having both in there didn't really work. It obviously is still a problem position for us imo.
Dier probably came off because Wanyama is the more athletic and can cover ground faster. We also looked a bit more fluid with one DM.
At least now we have a plan B with Janssen. Alongside Kane they are a real handful. I still think we need to look at the CM and someone with some pace in AM.

Good to see all the interviews coming out of Spurs saying poor first half. Love our honnest assessments following games. No PR BS trying to pull the wool over fans eyes by spinning the opposite......*coughs looks over to Chavs & Manure with a knowing grin*.

Only missed Southampton (2-1 loss) and Newcastle (5-1 loss) last season. Now he's missed one this season against Everton (1-1 draw) and he'll miss Palace, Liverpool and Stoke. He'll be back for our home game against Sunderland. If our last three results without him are to go by, the next three won't be easy.
He was also present for all of our draws at the beginning of last season. We are not that dependant on one player, our team ethic was a feature of last season. (he is my fav player BTW just putting out a different stat that tells a different slant).

He was also present for all of our draws at the beginning of last season. We are not that dependant on one player, our team ethic was a feature of last season. (he is my fav player BTW just putting out a different stat that tells a different slant).
You're not wrong but it's clear we're a lot better with him in the team and RARELY lose when he starts and we become ALOT harder to beat. We lost 6 games last season in the league.

Newcastle 5-1 (Dembele banned)
Southampton 2-1 (Dembele banned)
West Ham 1-0 (Dembele didn't play)
Leicester 1-0 (Dembele on the bench)
Newcastle 2-1 (Dembele didn't play)
Man Utd 1-0 (Dembele played RW)

Obviously not saying we'd have won if we had Dembele in the team today by the way.

You're not wrong but it's clear we're a lot better with him in the team and RARELY lose when he starts and we become ALOT harder to beat. We lost 6 games last season in the league.

Newcastle 5-1 (Dembele banned)
Southampton 2-1 (Dembele banned)
West Ham 1-0 (Dembele didn't play)
Leicester 1-0 (Dembele on the bench)
Newcastle 2-1 (Dembele didn't play)
Man Utd 1-0 (Dembele played RW)

Obviously not saying we'd have won if we had Dembele in the team today by the way.
I know and I love him but picture is less dominant when first games of the season are factored in, don't know why they get left out. He was also hooked off most of those early games too I recall.

Back
Top Bottom