The Mighty Poch Men vs. Everton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the longest in the shower?

• Total voters
Steady son. I love him too and it's very clear what he brings to this spurs side but he's certainly not in the top 5 midfielders in this league. Cazorla kante Pogba gundogan fernandinho fabregas are all better IMO. Fans tend to overrate their players when they don't play

While I agree there are better midfielders in the league than Dembele, none of those seem likely. Fabregas is more creative but Dembele is much more solid and a much better dribbler. Cazorla is an AM who would flounder in Dembele's position. Fernadinho is a poor man's Dembele.

A better list would have been Pogba and an on form Toure, who based on last years play no longer exists. If you can find a better rounded midfielder than Moose I'd be impressed. Better players in recent seasons would have been the likes of Alonso and Gerrard, apart from those two though, as well as Toure, I've not seen anyone as well rounded in midfield as Moose, he just needs to improve his play in the final third for me.

There is no point for Eriksen being there if he's going to lose every 50-50, which he generally tends to do.

There is a point in him being there if there is no midfield battle to be won. When we are, or expect to be, in control of the game, and the danger we face is mostly from long-ball counter attacks, having Eriksen there may be a great choice.

There is a point in him being there if there is no midfield battle to be won. When we are, or expect to be, in control of the game, and the danger we face is mostly from long-ball counter attacks, having Eriksen there may be a great choice.

Don't you think a 4 - 3 - 3 would make more sense, with Eriksen and Alli both dropping deeper, Kane up top with Lamela and... someone else on the other wing? Maybe Onomah for this game, but would have preferably been Son on the left.

Don't you think a 4 - 3 - 3 would make more sense, with Eriksen and Alli both dropping deeper, Kane up top with Lamela and... someone else on the other wing? Maybe Onomah for this game, but would have preferably been Son on the left.

I think what Poch did made a lot of sense. Can't see how 4-3-3 would've been better, as that would've pulled Alli back and probably forced Janssen or Kane wider, unless as you suggest Janssen shouldn't have played. I think Vincent did well when he came on, and I would really like to see more of him. Onomah, as of yet, hasn't shown that he has any end product. We needed end product. Son, the way he played towards the end of last season, was just very wasteful and selfish. We tended to give up control of a game by having Son enter the pitch.

I think what Poch did made a lot of sense. Can't see how 4-3-3 would've been better, as that would've pulled Alli back and probably forced Janssen or Kane wider, unless as you suggest Janssen shouldn't have played. I think Vincent did well when he came on, and I would really like to see more of him. Onomah, as of yet, hasn't shown that he has any end product. We needed end product. Son, the way he played towards the end of last season, was just very wasteful and selfish. We tended to give up control of a game by having Son enter the pitch.

Son's a talented player, think what you will of him I don't care. But you're suggesting playing Eriksen in a midfield 2 or Dele in a midfield 2, both of which leaves us very exposed. Having both pulling the strings from there would allow our attacking three of what ideally would have been Son, Kane and Lamela a lot more space and it also allows 5 players to move into the number 10 spot as we are playing, where as just now, that position is almost always filled and makes it incredibly difficult for Lamela to cut inside without running into Dele,

Son's a talented player, think what you will of him I don't care. But you're suggesting playing Eriksen in a midfield 2 or Dele in a midfield 2, both of which leaves us very exposed. Having both pulling the strings from there would allow our attacking three of what ideally would have been Son, Kane and Lamela a lot more space and it also allows 5 players to move into the number 10 spot as we are playing, where as just now, that position is almost always filled and makes it incredibly difficult for Lamela to cut inside without running into Dele,

I'm not saying Son's not talented, northat your 4-3-3 suggestion is a bad idea in general. I thought we were talking about the second half against Everton, with Son being a hypothetical choice for the scenario.

I hope Son will come good for us, but don't think he's there et based on how he performed towards the end of last season.

I'm not saying Son's not talented, northat your 4-3-3 suggestion is a bad idea in general. I thought we were talking about the second half against Everton, with Son being a hypothetical choice for the scenario.

I hope Son will come good for us, but don't think he's there et based on how he performed towards the end of last season.

Nope, you had quoted someone about how we should set up in the Palace game where we aren't likely to be in a midfield battle. Which in itself is daft, if you think there's a single game this season where we won't have a midfield battle, you're wrong. There's no easy games anymore sadly.

I'm sure Dele and Dier line up a few times last season in the holding midfield 2 before Dembele came back into the team. Too much emphasis is put on rigid formations now, a teams shape can change as we attack/defend and as long as a player can cover a position when required (and is able) then I don't see why Eriksen or Dele couldn't start next to Dier if we're aiming to be more attacking.

I had been confident against Everton but I'd forgotten how Koeman had worked our system out last season when Southampton beat us at the Lane. It showed again in the first half but with Janssen up front we did much better in the 2nd. At least now we have that option to change a game with a proper 2nd striker.

Just clicked on that. It's a non-stop feel good re-tweet party of Evertonians and Spurs complementing each other.

Actually kind of refreshing. Seems like every other team under the sun has tried to manufacture a rivalry with us, like Southampton and especially Leicester from last season.

Janssen has 1 decent cameo appearance and people are calling for us to start last seasons permierships leading goalscorer in a number 10 role to accomodate him......after 1 game...jesus christ.

Edit: and also move last seasons young player of the season in a totally different position. Again...after 1 game.

Janssen has 1 decent cameo appearance and people are calling for us to start last seasons permierships leading goalscorer in a number 10 role to accomodate him......after 1 game...jesus christ.

Edit: and also move last seasons young player of the season in a totally different position. Again...after 1 game.

Well, there's also the Kane end of season form, Euro form, start of last season form, and the way he/we struggled in the first half of the Everton game. And then there's Alli's end of season form, euro form, and the way he played against Everton. It wouldn't surprise me if those wanting to see Janssen had more than 1 decent cameo in mind.

The problem wasn't the lineup or formation

The problem was Eriksen, Alli and Kane were all poor, when Janssen came in we had one more threat on pitch

Next game if at least 2 of them wake up we will be fine

Well, there's also the Kane end of season form, Euro form, start of last season form, and the way he/we struggled in the first half of the Everton game. And then there's Alli's end of season form, euro form, and the way he played against Everton. It wouldn't surprise me if those wanting to see Janssen had more than 1 decent cameo in mind.
Kane was premiership leading scorer last season and scored over 30 goals the season before. You dont just ignore that because of his poor form in an england team that everyone played shite. Its totally disrepectful to move him into another role/position to accomodate a player that had a decent cameo appearance in the first game of the season.

Nope, you had quoted someone about how we should set up in the Palace game where we aren't likely to be in a midfield battle. Which in itself is daft, if you think there's a single game this season where we won't have a midfield battle, you're wrong. There's no easy games anymore sadly.

Oooook.

I know there are no easy games, but there are definately games where there's less of a battle in midfield. Some teams defend very close to their own goal and may attack through long balls towards the wings. In games like that, it may be beneficial to have more creativity in at least one of the CMs.

Kane was premiership leading scorer last season and scored over 30 goals the season before. You dont just ignore that because of his poor form in an england team that everyone played shite. Its totally disrepectful to move him into another role/position to accomodate a player that had a decent cameo appearance in the first game of the season.

He has previously stated that the nr 10 role is his favourite role. He rarely scores his goals from being the front runner, from exploiting space behind enemy lines. He could do an excellent job and score a great number of goals even from a spot slightly behind the front man, playing off the latter.

If anything, having him as a nr 10 can potentially see him more involved, thus respecting his qualities by making him an even more integral part of how we play.

The problem wasn't the lineup or formation

The problem was Eriksen, Alli and Kane were all poor, when Janssen came in we had one more threat on pitch

Next game if at least 2 of them wake up we will be fine

So were Dier and - up to the goal - certainly also Lamela.

Janssen looks good, a lot of others look off form. Why not start the player who looks on form.

So were Dier and - up to the goal - certainly also Lamela.

Janssen looks good, a lot of others look off form. Why not start the player who looks on form.

Oh absolutely, Janssen was superb, I think our team deserves one more game stay of execution as if you put Janssen in your plan B is used immediately

However if Eriksen / Alli has another stinker Janssen should start, it's nice to have that threat to him to perform or be left out

Back
Top Bottom