The lowest common denominator

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Soldado, Capoue, Paulinho, Chiriches and Stambouli are all good players, there are plenty of players not cut out for the English game, if we'd thought about we could have had a devastating side for the Europa league.

Not all players who leave Spurs go onto great things; Holtby? Sandro? Caulker? Defoe? Arguably even Bale.

Can we just give a manager a chance for once? I like Poch, I like the way he sets up the team and I like the way he uses young players. After 3-4 seasons then we can judge his vision but if we keep changing the manager we are always going to be in transition.
Under Redknapp we were fortunate because we had Bale, Modric, King, Rafa and relatively weak top 4 competition. However as Redknapp has proven time and time again he does not have much in the way of stability and a long term vision. Now we have a manager (whose win percentage is better btw) with a clear long term vision. Give him a fucking chance.

so Soldado scores today and Capoue seems to have turned a corner.

It's about time we all realised what the problem is. It's the club its THFC.

we have an average squad, an owner who is desperate to get out, a bemused manager and a load of players who are feeding off the clubs general disregard for the punters.

They know we will empty our pockets no matter how bad it gets. They can see levy has been taking the piss for years, why wouldn't they?

We are rotten to the core, stale, in need of new input and energy, we are a rudderless shit floating down the league. The good ship Tottenham is on its way to meet Davy Jones and we are going along for the ride.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if we were going down with anything but a whimper but this bunch of average, gutless, spengs are going to bore us to the championship three years max if nothing changes.

You mongs will mock me but I've been talking levy for years and you're all just cottoning on.

It's going to be a bumpy ride brothers but unless something changes the only way is down baby.

X

Pretty Please, with sugar on top, find another club to "support".

Based on your characteristics of Spurs it's safe to say that you don't like the club, and you should clearly not count yourself as one of it's supporters.

Can we just give a manager a chance for once? I like Poch, I like the way he sets up the team and I like the way he uses young players. After 3-4 seasons then we can judge his vision but if we keep changing the manager we are always going to be in transition.
Under Redknapp we were fortunate because we had Bale, Modric, King, Rafa and relatively weak top 4 competition. However as Redknapp has proven time and time again he does not have much in the way of stability and a long term vision. Now we have a manager (whose win percentage is better btw) with a clear long term vision. Give him a fucking chance.

I'm not always a fan of the way he sets up, sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired and some flexability wouldn't go amiss.

Agree with the rest of your post though. Chopping and changing every 18 months just makes us look like mugs.

I'm not always a fan of the way he sets up, sometimes it leaves a lot to be desired and some flexability wouldn't go amiss.

Agree with the rest of your post though. Chopping and changing every 18 months just makes us look like mugs.
I agree but does he have the tools to be flexible at the moment?

So that's the limit of our ambition then

Scraping into the top 10 generally playing shite football!

:avbshit:

We finished 6 points off 4th last season and you want the manager sacked based on your prediction of what will happen this season?

If we change manager mid season we'll end up with another Sherwood scenario (or worse) and waste another season.

Let's just see what happens.........no point in really crystal ball gazing in football at all when you consider Kane's unbelievable rise last season.

QPR home, Everton home, Everton away, West Brom away, QPR away, Newcastle away

along with the 5 you said that's 11.

That's more than 25% of our premier league games. Not a handful mate.

So basically in his debut season Poch get us 5th with the youngest team in the league, with 25%+ of our games very good performances. That's something to be optimistic about.

I was at WBA and Newcastle and yes they were convincing wins but you have consider the opposition, mate!

They were shite and both could have gone down.

QPR did go down and were worse!

Agreed the games against Everton were good particularly the home fixture!

Don't get me wrong as I've said before I would love to be proven wrong and, if Pooch comes good and we get top 4, I will be the 1st to hold my hand up!

Based on what I've seen and our transfer policy I just can't see it!

so Soldado scores today and Capoue seems to have turned a corner.

It's about time we all realised what the problem is. It's the club its THFC.

We are rotten to the core.
X

After one weekend? Lets see in a few weeks.

Yes there is an underline problems with THFC. We have this expectation, a right to be amongst the best. HR was the best in talking up the club-got results but created no foundations - Poch is the opposite, trying to create a consistency long term. I feel some one else will come in, take over and take us onward and upward (as SFC) and then we will appreciate what Poch is/has been doing.

No we are not rotten to the core?

Let's just see what happens.........no point in really crystal ball gazing in football at all when you consider Kane's unbelievable rise last season.

Which might be an issue for Poch this season. In purely objective, statistical terms, Kane scored more goals than he should have last season (I think the Telegraph did a piece on it?) when you look at the type of chances he had and subsequent % conversion. Now there is much more to Kane's game than just goals, but it's unlikely he'd score as many this season if everything else was equal. If Kane doesn't score the goals then we could be in for a rough time.

I'm fairly anti-Poch, not because I don't like the guy but because I don't understand why he got the job in the first place when his track record inconsistent at best. Now on the positive side it could be a case that Levy is genuinely trying to create a new 'Spurs Way' of playing, similar to the way Swansea have appointed managers that retain a certain footballing philosophy, the way Germany developed their 4-2-3-1 over 8 years, and (*judder*) the way in which Woolwich have maintained a style of football consistent to all levels of their teams over a period of time. The evidence for that is that in AVB and Poch (Sherwood was clearly a temporary stopgap) he's appointed managers that play a compressed, high line, possession orientated game. When you consider how many managers in world football play that kind of game (clue: not many) it seems more than coincidence that we've had two of them recently.

In that case, Poch might well outlive his 'performances' due to the need to transform the club over time. What has been apparent so far is that the team in charge of recruitment (including Poch) have fundamentally failed to understand what kind of player is required in such a system. Where both AVB and Poch have failed so far is working out how to create good chances in tightly defended space, and how to defend 'space' created by pushing up the defensive line. AVB should have been backed to get Hulk (who offered the physical presence and tight control needed to unsettle defences) and Poch should have been supplied with a midfield fulcrum (like Modric was) who could help retain possession and avoid so many turnovers in dangerous positions.

Now I look at who we're after and it makes some sense that we're trying to increase pace in the side with N'Jie and Berahino - after all, in a compressed space you need to attack quickly before the opposition regain their defensive shape, but in going with that option we HAVE to allow those players some space to attack into and get it to them faster than we do currently. If we don't adapt our gameplan to create more attacking space then N'Jie and Berahino will find themselves unable to use their natural attributes and will end up looking like Lamela (top attacking dribble maker in Serie A, barely even tries for us). Lets see whether Poch is good enough to figure out the puzzle - my gut feeling is that he isn't up to it.

You can't fluke a top 5 finish over a 38 game season. Don't be ridiculous.

I really don't understand the melt down. We're 3 games in. Why should we be aiming top 4? as has been pointed out many times, there are 5 teams in the league that SHOULD be finishing above us. We "should be aiming" for top 6. Just because you want top 4, doesnt mean its realistic.

A lot of people need to chill the fuck out. Just watch some football at the weekend and then move on. Forget about it for a week. All this pathetic babbling about chairman and transfer targets and other boring shit is pointless. Nothing any of us say makes any difference. Just enjoy it for what it is, fucking entertainment.

This is an open forum so what is "pathetic babbling" (your words) for you might be important or interesting or entertaining for others, not "pointless", so perhaps you could lose a bit of your arrogance!

By "fluking" a top 5 finish, again not my words I meant in a lot of games, I and quite a few others, thought we were a tad fortunate but the table doesn't lie and we did finish 5th but can you honestly say we'll do that this season?

I know it's only 3 games but already we're 7 points off the pace!

Let's see who we can bring in before the end of this ridiculous transfer window.

Last season we finished 5th with +6 goal difference. Precisely 6 goals better than the league average in other words, over 38 games. Even Southampton had +21 goal difference, and the worst of the top 4 teams (Man Utd) ended with +25. We ended up 5th because of winning games by the finest of margins, not because our team played ordinally the 5th best football in the league.

Ignoring our league finish and focusing only on GD (objectively a better indicator of performance than points) last season we were much closer to West Ham in 12th (-3 GD) than any of the top four. Because of that, any small regression in our football or improvement of other teams below us (e.g. Liverpool) could result in a move towards mid-table mediocrity.

I've never boo'd the team (maybe once under George Graham in a league cup defeat to Birmingham, possibly) and almost burst a blood vessel cheering on the side when I'm at the Lane but I don't see it as my responsibility as a fan to back the manager when there are substantial issues on the pitch.

sup·port·er
səˈpôrdər/
noun
noun: supporter; plural noun: supporters
  1. 1.
    a person who approves of and encourages someone or something (typically a public figure, a movement or party, or a policy).
    "Reagan supporters"
    synonyms: advocate, backer, adherent, promoter, champion, defender, upholder, crusader, proponent, campaigner, apologist; More

This is an open forum so what is "pathetic babbling" (your words) for you might be important or interesting or entertaining for others, not "pointless", so perhaps you could lose a bit of your arrogance!

By "fluking" a top 5 finish, again not my words I meant in a lot of games, I and quite a few others, thought we were a tad fortunate but the table doesn't lie and we did finish 5th but can you honestly say we'll do that this season?

I know it's only 3 games but already we're 7 points off the pace!

Let's see who we can bring in before the end of this ridiculous transfer window.
You literally said you think we fluked a top 5 finish.
Theres still 105 points to play for.
You're overreacting.

Back
Top Bottom