The lowest common denominator

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-wages-your-club-5729730

1. Manchester City: £96,445 (3rd overall)
2. Manchester United: £89,988 (6th)
3. Chelsea: £83,713 (8th)
4. Woolwich: £77,963 (10th)
5. Liverpool: £67,486 (14th)
6. Tottenham: £54,077 (30th)
7. Aston Villa: £34,815 (80th)
8. Newcastle: £32,223 (87th)

Liverpool pay their players, on average £13'409 more than us, each, every week.

The gaps between liverpool and us, and then us and Villa are huge. To bridge the gap to liverpool we'd need to increase our wage bill by 25%. And if we take out Adebayor, we're even further away. People seem to think its a case of just throwing money at, but when we tried that it was a disaster. And 4 of the 7 have now been sold. So clearly its not about just throwing money.

Clearly what we need to do, is attract high earning, talented players. For example, we'd all lose our shit if we signed pedro, hazard, matic... But we're never going to get those players, because any players chelsea want they can afford to out bid us, and pay higher salaries.

That of course means we're better off picking off the best players from lower level clubs. EG Saido from West Brom, But its very difficult to buy a clubs best player, or at least one of. There's immediately going to be an increase in price, because that player is more valuable to the club. Not to mention that it becomes obvious how desperate we are, its a sellers market. And with us not exactly being the biggest club, we can't always afford to go blowing wads left right and centre. Especially on mid table players.

We could, in theory offer astronomical wages, but then that means less in our wage budget. For example, liverpool are paying ings and Milner crazy amounts, in order to get them to move there. But clearly we can't play keep up with liverpool in terms of wages. They earn more than us because they're a bigger and more succesful club.

So I'm putting it out there, what are we supposed to do? Increase our revenue is obviously one option... but everyone seems far to impatient to wait for the stadium to be built. Any other suggestions?

Rondon to WBA, Shaquiri to Stoke, Cabaye to Palace... 3 players who would have improved our squad signed for low fees and manageable wages. There are many more.

We can always get bought out by an oil rich country. We can then be paid well over the odds to advertise that country's airline and to name our stadium after it. It works for Man City.
We could then also be paid handsomely for advertising a few other of their state own companies.
That way our shirt Sponsorship deal could rise 6 fold in one season and despite not selling out our stadium for CL ties and having an average of 45k a week ( the 21st highest in Europe) we could afford to pay a wage bill of £205m. £39m more pa than another PL club who have the 7th highest average attendance in Europe.

That's they way to do it.

Try telling some of our fans we don't sign the top players because we simply can't afford to.

£100k pw or more players:

City have 9
Chavs have 6 ( Hazard £200k)
Man U have 6, 2 of them on £200k or over ( Rooney, Bastian).
Woolwich have 5
Liverpool have 6 atm ( henderson,Milner Firminio, Balotelli and Benteke)

We have 1, Adebayor.
Lloris is the next highest earner on £80k ( 5k more than Skyrtel and the same as Lucas)
Eriksen gets £64
Chadli and Lamela in the £40k's
Kane is on £35k

I am not sure this is even worth my time, but Carlito you are what's wrong, not the club. Don't give a fuck who you think you are.

Sometimes you are funny but mostly you act like a little bitch, especially when posting these wind up threads.

Mods should can this thread. It's just attention seeking horse shit.

I am not sure this is even worth my time, but Carlito you are what's wrong, not the club. Don't give a fuck who you think you are.

Sometimes you are funny but mostly you act like a little bitch, especially when posting these wind up threads.

Why do you (and some of the other clowns on this forum) feel the need to act 'hard'. It accomplishes fuck all and makes you come across as a keyboard warrior.

But I do agree that the OP is a bit of a bellend.

You call it a wind up thread but plenty feel the same way as him

Remember, we were all impressed with Capoue after a sub appearance v Palace and all thought Soldado was the 9 we've needed.

I agree players seemed to have bombed but find it hard to blame the club.

Soldado has played 1 game, it was no secret he was more suited to that league. I don't now expect him to go and bang in 25 this season however.
You've said it now
:soldadowtf:

Carlito you love to stir some excitement on this forum, fair play. Reasonable complaints peppered with outrageous statement "we will be relegated in three years" haha.

The off topic forum is shite nowadays, can't you stoke some stuff in there, point out what a sad cunt arcspace is or something

That's bollocks- in that logic one 6-0 victory and four 0-0 draws is better than five wins. ( unless you mean subjectively and then fair enough think what you like.)

It's simple fact that if you are able to regularly score far more than you concede then you're more likely to win games and attain a high league position. Teams with low positive goal differences occasionally break into the top four (notably Everton in their single CL qualification) but the mean average GD of top four teams is over +30.

We ended up on +6. We scored just 6 more goals than we conceded all season. We were not a top footballing side. Statistically our goals scored / conceded was closer to the 12th place side than 4th. We were fortunate to finish 5th. How hard is that to compute?

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that all Levy cares about is the stadium development, build the new stadium and he will sell to anyone and I mean anyone. You are a fool to think he'll be worrying about the new owners credentials and suitability. Having enough money will mean you instantly meet Levy's "fit and proper" test.

He seems to have got himself a low maintenance manager who doesn't make too many demands leaving him time to concentrate on the new stadium.

Something stinks at Tottenham and it ain't the toilets. The club strikes me as disorganised and dysfunctional in far too many areas.

I read that Levy had coming back from holiday and within a couple of days we have signed Clinton. Levy should be having his holidays at the start of the summer like the rest of the staff have to. We should have had the bulk of our incoming transfer business wrapped up before the season started. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were no more signings for this window along with the usual noise from the club about how we tried to sign this player for silly amounts of money.

With a new stadium on the horizon we should be entering an exciting phase in the club history but I just feel completely underwhelmed with our transfer business and current playing side. Where is the buzz and excitement gone? I thought that's what football was about...

Why do you (and some of the other clowns on this forum) feel the need to act 'hard'. It accomplishes fuck all and makes you come across as a keyboard warrior.

Those that follow this forum will know that I'm not a moaner. Carlito brings nothing to the community. He goes for boring and easy, and he has sung this tired tune for years about how shit the club is and it's all going to implode next week, just you wait and see.

As I said, not sure he is really worth my time, and you calling me a clown......not sure you're worth it either. I don't spend my time winding up people around here and don't deserve that criticism.

Carlito you love to stir some excitement on this forum, fair play. Reasonable complaints peppered with outrageous statement "we will be relegated in three years" haha.

The off topic forum is shite nowadays, can't you stoke some stuff in there, point out what a sad cunt arcspace is or something

Remember when villa were getting top 6 finishes under oneil, then stopped investing....the slide doesn't take long.

You just have to look at the dumbing down of our squad, I can see us finishing 8/9th this season, maybe 12th the season after, then, well there's always one big team in the mixer to go down.

I've been here before I have the same feeling about the club, all stale and directionless.

There's only so many times you can replace the manager, flip flop between director of football and manager before it stops working.

I would like Levy kept away from the squad altogether and to see a real football man in charge of transfers. Kill me now but I would genuinely take David Dein to have sole input over our transfers.

Anything must be better than this.

Remember when villa were getting top 6 finishes under oneil, then stopped investing....the slide doesn't take long.

Lerner stopped investing in Villa because they were getting into loads of debt without achieving anything. It's mismanagement of their finances (the one thing Enic haven't done) that has set them back so far - even now the club still reportedly owe Lerner £180m.

It's simple fact that if you are able to regularly score far more than you concede then you're more likely to win games and attain a high league position. Teams with low positive goal differences occasionally break into the top four (notably Everton in their single CL qualification) but the mean average GD of top four teams is over +30.

We ended up on +6. We scored just 6 more goals than we conceded all season. We were not a top footballing side. Statistically our goals scored / conceded was closer to the 12th place side than 4th. We were fortunate to finish 5th. How hard is that to compute?
Last season was late Eriksen goals and a Harry Kane purple patch.

My 2 pennies as a new Tottenham supporter, and as a fan of a team which is in a similar situation ("best of the rest", planning a new stadium, always starting the season as outsiders).

When you don't have 1st tier money, the 'reasonable' expectation is EL contention. But this cannot be enough for a football fan, whose job is to dream the best. Especially when there is regularly some other 2nd tier team that succeeds (Atletico, Dortmund, Sevilla...).

Somehow a lot of people seem to think that the only way to do this is via growing one's own young players into stars. Well after a lot of years I can say that this is wrong.
Even if you grow your locals or (more likely) buy prospects very young, and they happen to actually develop into nice players, they will soon want out (to play in top teams and most of all to be paid shitloads of money) or just be sold for £££ anyways.
Jovetic, Nastasic, Ljajic, Cuadrado, Salah, Savic. These are perfect examples from Fiorentina and I am sure you guys can add more from your side besides Bale and Modric.

The solution is different and lies somewhere in between. I think a good way is to buy players:
. in their primes or just around
. in the 5-15 mln price tag range
. underrated
. who perfectly fit the coach's philosophy
to complement some of your own youth who haven't fully blossomed yet.
This is what Atletico, Dortmund, Sevilla mostly did.

The last two bullet points are the difficult part of course, and that's why you need outstanding management (alongside a very good coach of course).

How is Tottenham doing vs these guidelines? You tell me.

Buying Njie, Wimmer, Alli etc won't take Tottenham past the 5th position.
BUT. It could be the first step of a plan to make them grow, then get a lot of money from them and then buy some good players who can contribute straight away.

Back
Top Bottom