The Home Grown Dilemma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Isn’t club trained where our bigger problem is going to be?

We’ve had practically no one come through our academy in the last 5 years. Pretty much just Skipp and then an unreliable tanganga.
As others have said club trained is only really important when you're in Europe. The club should obviously prepare for the future and bring in players under 18 to become club trained like we did with Devine but you don't get the rewards from that until after a few years. Most of our higher potential club grown players will still be under 21 next year so would go on to list B anyway but can obviously be involved. Start of next season if we make it back in to Europe, Skipp might be our only club trained player. White and Parrott would be over 21 so would depending on what happens with them (whether sold or given another loan chance this season). Can also buy back Cirkin early next summer for £6m who would also be club trained

I see a lot of posts saying we need to sign Home Grown players this summer such as Raya, Maddison, etc. however I’m not sure that is correct given
- the only HG we are likely to offload this summer are benchwarmers / reserves such as Tanganga and Winks
- we are not in Europe which has a higher requirement for HG / club trained

We will have an issue in the summer of 2024 with Forster and Kane going. Kane will be the biggest issue given he’s club trained. But without want to kick the can down the road, that is next years problem.

what disaster of biblical proportions am I missing? Can someone enlighten me?
Kane could still leave at any point in this window.

Spurs lion is a troll account

The closest we'll get to Europe this season will be when Daniel sets up a Tottenham Hotspur coach/boat tour side business to expand the portfolio

Spurs lion is a troll account

The closest we'll get to Europe this season will be when Daniel sets up a Tottenham Hotspur coach/boat tour side business to expand the portfolio

I can hear the chants now from our wall of noise
AKA the retired folk.

🎶We’re all going on a European tour,
of the best food markets,
that serve craft beer🎶

🎶We’re all going on a European tour,
on an air conditioned coach ,
With the latest massage seats 🎶

More importantly can’t you change your avatar to a picture of Ulrika when she didn’t look like a mental patient?

She was quite cute in her youth. You’re not doing her any favours now.
Think its good, showing a former “beauty star” age naturally (ish).

Certainly better than Madonna and the like, clinging to yesterday.

So after the transfer window how did we do?

From the HG contingent: Kane, Tanganga and Winks out - all club trained. To be fair, neither of Tanganga nor Winks were likely to get a game in EPL or Europe.

Replaced by
Maddison - certain starter
Philips - backup CB and if he turns out to be good will become Club Trained in the future given his age.
Johnson - starter / bench?

My understanding is that Sarr will become HG club-trained. So we have for the 4 HG (club trained) and 4 HG (non-club trained) for Europe next year

HG (club trained)
sarr
skipp
austin/whiteman
phillips
+ kids (Devine/Scarlett/ etc)

HG (non-club trained)
- Maddison
- Sessegnon/Davies (assuming 1 stays)
- Forster (assuming he stays)
- Johnson

Seems like we will be fine.

So after the transfer window how did we do?

From the HG contingent: Kane, Tanganga and Winks out - all club trained. To be fair, neither of Tanganga nor Winks were likely to get a game in EPL or Europe.

Replaced by
Maddison - certain starter
Philips - backup CB and if he turns out to be good will become Club Trained in the future given his age.
Johnson - starter / bench?

My understanding is that Sarr will become HG club-trained. So we have for the 4 HG (club trained) and 4 HG (non-club trained) for Europe next year

HG (club trained)
sarr
skipp
austin/whiteman
phillips
+ kids (Devine/Scarlett/ etc)

HG (non-club trained)
- Maddison
- Sessegnon/Davies (assuming 1 stays)
- Forster (assuming he stays)
- Johnson

Seems like we will be fine.
I don't think Sarr can become club trained.

Has to be 3 years at the club before the age of 21.

"A club Trained Player’ is a player who was on the Club’s register for any 3 full Seasons before the end of the Season in which he ceases to be eligible by age to play at Under 21 level."

Phillips, possibly. Depends on when his birthday is and when we signed him.

I might be dim, as I don't know the full squad lists, but do the likes of Chelsea & Forest have this same dilemma...?
They seem to be signing anyone and everyone right now... How's THEIR squad quota doing?

I might be dim, as I don't know the full squad lists, but do the likes of Chelsea & Forest have this same dilemma...?
They seem to be signing anyone and everyone right now... How's THEIR squad quota doing?

Chelseas squad is either full of HG talent or talent too young to count towards registration is how they get round it.

Their goalkeeper and defence for example is Sanchez (HG), James (HG), Colwill (U21), Silva, Chilwell (HG).

With James out injured, they have Gusto filling in who counts as U21.

Whilst they have Caicedo and Enzo in CM they surround that with Gallagher (HG), Chukwuemeke (U21), Lavia (U21), Ugochukwu (U21)

Etc.

Here is the original list. Ironically 6 HG players have left and only 3 NON HG.

2023-24OLDGONE
1FORSTERHG
2LLORISNON-HG????
3AUSTINHG
4WHITEMANHG
5TANGANGAHGLOAN
6RODONHGLOAN
7DAVIESHG
8ROMERONON-HG
9DIERNON-HG
10SANCHEZNON-HGGONE
11ROYALNON-HG
12PORRONON-HG
13SPENCEHGLOAN
14SESSEGNONHG
15PERISICNON-HG
16REGUILLONNON-HGLOAN
17UDOGIEU 21
18HOJBJERGNON-HG
19BISSOUMANON-HG
20LO CELSONON-HG
21NDOMBELENON-HGLOAN
22BENTANCURNON-HG
23WINKSHGGONE
24WHITEHGGONE
25SARRU 21
26SKIPPHG
27KULUSEVSKINON-HG
28GILNON-HG
29RICHARLISONNON-HG
30SONNON-HG
31KANEHGGONE
HG TOTAL126
NON-HG TOTAL174
U 212

New list:
2023-24NEW
1VICARIONON HG
2FORSTERHG
3AUSTINHG
4WHITEMANHG
5DAVIESHG
6VDVNON HG
7PHILLIPSU21
8ROMERONON-HG
9DIERNON-HG
10ROYALNON-HG
11PORRONON-HG
12SESSEGNONHG
13PERISICNON-HG
14UDOGIEU 21
15HOJBJERGNON-HG
16BISSOUMANON-HG
17LO CELSONON-HG
18BENTANCURNON-HG
19MADDISONHG
20SARRU 21
21SKIPPHG
22JOHNSONHG
23SOLOMONNON HG
24KULUSEVSKINON-HG
25GILNON-HG
26RICHARLISONNON-HG
27SONNON-HG
28VELIZU21
HG TOTAL8
NON-HG TOTAL16
U 214

Last edited:

"A club Trained Player’ is a player who was on the Club’s register for any 3 full Seasons before the end of the Season in which he ceases to be eligible by age to play at Under 21 level."

sudoku

Can you clarify this for me please ?

Sarr can't, Phillips can if he stays 3 years and isn't loaned out

Back
Top Bottom