The Home Grown Dilemma

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see a lot of posts saying we need to sign Home Grown players this summer such as Raya, Maddison, etc. however I’m not sure that is correct given
- the only HG we are likely to offload this summer are benchwarmers / reserves such as Tanganga and Winks
- we are not in Europe which has a higher requirement for HG / club trained

We will have an issue in the summer of 2024 with Forster and Kane going. Kane will be the biggest issue given he’s club trained. But without want to kick the can down the road, that is next years problem.

what disaster of biblical proportions am I missing? Can someone enlighten me?

I see a lot of posts saying we need to sign Home Grown players this summer such as Raya, Maddison, etc. however I’m not sure that is correct given
- the only HG we are likely to offload this summer are benchwarmers / reserves such as Tanganga and Winks

We will have an issue in the summer of 2024 with Forster and Kane going. Kane will be the biggest issue given he’s club trained. But without want to kick the can down the road, that is next years problem.

We can have 17 non HG players.

So as long as we don’t go over that limit the HG players are really just making up the numbers. Plus any younger players.

If we don’t sign any HG players we have a smaller squad. Less games to play this season it won’t be the worst. Unless we get loads of injuries.

We were maxed out last year and although not in Europe this season its something we have to plan for. We could have Sessegnon, Tanganga and Davies going this summer and as you say Forster and Kane next. Its an issue and i'd say at least 2 of our signings this summer need to be homegrown. Luckily with Tosin, Eze, Barnes, Maddison, Olise, Scott, Johnson there are some decent options around.

Last edited:
It’s not really a home grown dilemma this year.
It’s more of a non-homegrown dilemma. Given that we don’t have European football at all, we could probably get away without a full complement of homegrown players. We will need to trim the non-homegrown players to fall within the 17 maximum allowable.

2023-24
1FORSTERHG
2LLORISNON-HG
3AUSTINHG
4WHITEMANHG
5TANGANGAHG
6RODONHG
7DAVIESHG
8ROMERONON-HG
9DIERNON-HG
10SANCHEZNON-HG
11ROYALNON-HG
12PORRONON-HG
13SPENCEHG
14SESSEGNONHG
15PERISICNON-HG
16REGUILLONNON-HG
17UDOGIEU 21
18HOJBJERGNON-HG
19BISSOUMANON-HG
20LO CELSONON-HG
21NDOMBELENON-HG
22BENTANCURNON-HG
23WINKSHG
24WHITEHG
25SARRU 21
26SKIPPHG
27KULUSEVSKINON-HG
28GILNON-HG
29RICHARLISONNON-HG
30SONNON-HG
31KANEHG
HG TOTAL12
NON-HG TOTAL17
U 212

17 Johnny Foreigner + 2 HG GK + Kane + Davies + Skipp + Sess + U21 that Ange wants to blood.

We are gonna be fine.

Yeah next year is not a problem but if we get into Europe we need 8 HG with only a maximum of 4 association trained otherwise we will have to have a reduced squad size. Currently we have 17 non HG but next season we will have to register Udogie and Sarr as well. It's not a huge issue but it is something we need to be aware of as out HG options aren't great.

17 Johnny Foreigner + 2 HG GK + Kane + Davies + Skipp + Sess + U21 that Ange wants to blood.

We are gonna be fine.
Plus I think we don't need to register Udogie and maybe Sarr for PL. The tricky thing is actually the Vicario/Raya swap. In isolation, the HG/non HG arbitrage looks a bargain but you can only do it 17 times and we already have 20 plus non HG.

It's not a huge issue but in my opinion only 4 of the HG players have contributed enough the rest are just making up numbers and aren't good enough.

It could become an issue. An expensive one too. Unless we just keep players for being HG and training cones which I don't see how that benefits the club. Lacks competition.

Take Rodon and Tanganga for example. We had a horrendous season at the back but one of them is out on loan while the other one can't get in a team that ships in 60+goals.

2023-24
1FORSTERHG
2LLORISNON-HG
3AUSTINHG
4WHITEMANHG
5TANGANGAHG
6RODONHG
7DAVIESHG
8ROMERONON-HG
9DIERNON-HG
10SANCHEZNON-HG
11ROYALNON-HG
12PORRONON-HG
13SPENCEHG
14SESSEGNONHG
15PERISICNON-HG
16REGUILLONNON-HG
17UDOGIEU 21
18HOJBJERGNON-HG
19BISSOUMANON-HG
20LO CELSONON-HG
21NDOMBELENON-HG
22BENTANCURNON-HG
23WINKSHG
24WHITEHG
25SARRU 21
26SKIPPHG
27KULUSEVSKINON-HG
28GILNON-HG
29RICHARLISONNON-HG
30SONNON-HG
31KANEHG
HG TOTAL12
NON-HG TOTAL17
U 212
Yeah but don't clubs have to submit a 25 man squad not 31, and we need to have 8 homegrown players in that squad?

Plus I think we don't need to register Udogie and maybe Sarr for PL. The tricky thing is actually the Vicario/Raya swap. In isolation, the HG/non HG arbitrage looks a bargain but you can only do it 17 times and we already have 20 plus non HG.
No they don't need to be registered next season as U21 but they will be the season after.

The issue is, and always has been, planning for the long term as a squad needs to be built up over multiple transfer windows (simplistically, a squad of 25 players with 5 or 6 players signed each year means it takes 4 or 5 years)

And generally there are only 3/4/5/6 HG players Spurs would think good enough for their squad - and many other clubs want to sign them too. So in practice even signing one good HG a window is decent going.

Not being in europe means we do not need to abide by UEFA rules, but everyone hopes we will be in europe the following season so need to look every window.

2023-24
1FORSTERHG
2LLORISNON-HG
3AUSTINHG
4WHITEMANHG
5TANGANGAHG
6RODONHG
7DAVIESHG
8ROMERONON-HG
9DIERNON-HG
10SANCHEZNON-HG
11ROYALNON-HG
12PORRONON-HG
13SPENCEHG
14SESSEGNONHG
15PERISICNON-HG
16REGUILLONNON-HG
17UDOGIEU 21
18HOJBJERGNON-HG
19BISSOUMANON-HG
20LO CELSONON-HG
21NDOMBELENON-HG
22BENTANCURNON-HG
23WINKSHG
24WHITEHG
25SARRU 21
26SKIPPHG
27KULUSEVSKINON-HG
28GILNON-HG
29RICHARLISONNON-HG
30SONNON-HG
31KANEHG
HG TOTAL12
NON-HG TOTAL17
U 212
Only count 10/11 NHG that we would expect to still be here when the season starts.

The HG problem is looking like it’s more about sales than who we buy.

The issue is, and always has been, planning for the long term as a squad needs to be built up over multiple transfer windows (simplistically, a squad of 25 players with 5 or 6 players signed each year means it takes 4 or 5 years)

And generally there are only 3/4/5/6 HG players Spurs would think good enough for their squad - and many other clubs want to sign them too. So in practice even signing one good HG a window is decent going.

Not being in europe means we do not need to abide by UEFA rules, but everyone hopes we will be in europe the following season so need to look every window.
The problem as I see it is that most of the homegrown players that we have are substandard if we want to reach a UFFA position this coming season.

Winks
Dier
Sessegnon
Forster
Davies
Tanganaga
Rodon
And the other two goalkeepers are unknown, as far as being quality,

The real Home Grown problem is Home Grown players who have spent 3 years at the club under the age of 21. We have 4 outfield players Skipp, Kane, Winks and Tanganga.

Kane is in the last year of his contract.
Winks last year of his contract but needs to move on.
Skipp is fine.
Tanganga needs to move on for the good of his own game.

The real Home Grown problem is Home Grown players who have spent 3 years at the club under the age of 21. We have 4 outfield players Skipp, Kane, Winks and Tanganga.

Skipp is fine.
Yes that's the crux of it in UEFA comps. Worst case you bring youth players to sit on the bench I guess.

Skipp is fine.
That will only really matter when we're back in Europe

Back
Top Bottom