Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like I said @ Deuterz Deuterz Skipp/Hojbjerg combo will give us a solid platform to stay in matches, not Ndombele...

I honestly thought Ndombele showed what he can bring to the 10 position today. He was sloppy at times and a little off the pace, but there were flashes, and it was nice to see a player wanting the ball. Lo Celso was less impactful when he came on IMO.

But I agree that Skipp/Hojbjerg clearly gives the best platform in midfield for whoever is in the creative role. But we still do need someone there, now if it isn’t Ndombele then we need to be looking at moving him on and signing said player.

His skill set screams for him to play in the pivot so he can break the press. But we all know that he cannot for various reasons. 10 is not his optimal position. Just where he has to play due to circumstance.

Weird game today. I’ve seen him look lazy, unfit, and uninterested but never seen his touch and passing so off as it was today. He always flashes class even when he’s loafing.

Think he just had an off day on the ball, didn’t have any problems with his effort.
Exactly how I felt. He just had that little something g extra missing which would have been massive for us. He worked hard.

Weird game today. I’ve seen him look lazy, unfit, and uninterested but never seen his touch and passing so off as it was today. He always flashes class even when he’s loafing.

Think he just had an off day on the ball, didn’t have any problems with his effort.
Agree.

I often watch him and get pissed off at his lack of application.

Today was not one of those days. If anything, I actually think he was trying too hard. Almost forcing the play. As you say, he was misplacing five yard passes. He just had a bad game.

But I was pleased to see his effort levels.

Last edited:
Agree.

I often watch him and get pissed off at his lack of application.

Today was not one of those days. If anything, I actually think he was trying too hard. Almost forcing the play. As you say, he was misplacing five yard passes. He just had a bad game.

But I was pleased to see his effort levels.

Today it was kinda like the reverse-Tanguy..... Got involved mor, but apart from that run into the box the quality wasn't there on the ball.

Might as well bide our time with him in with this double-pivot system as that's how Jose got the most out of him too.

His skill set screams for him to play in the pivot so he can break the press. But we all know that he cannot for various reasons. 10 is not his optimal position. Just where he has to play due to circumstance.
Absolutely. At his beastly best at Lyon he was an out an out number 8 and was absolutely brilliant.

He’s just completely lost his way though since he’s joined us. He’s no longer fit enough/conditioned enough to play there, nor does he have the motivation. It’s just so so frustrating.

As much as it pains me to say it I really can’t see him ever becoming the player we thought he would here tbh.

The only way I can see it happening is if we get in a truly top class coach that excels I’m improving players individually, and performs a job in him akin to what Poch did with Dembele back in the day, because he actually is in a very similar situation to Dembele in the early days of Pochs reign.

Absolutely. At his beastly best at Lyon he was an out an out number 8 and was absolutely brilliant.

He’s just completely lost his way though since he’s joined us. He’s no longer fit enough/conditioned enough to play there, nor does he have the motivation. It’s just so so frustrating.

As much as it pains me to say it I really can’t see him ever becoming the player we thought he would here tbh.

The only way I can see it happening is if we get in a truly top class coach that excels I’m improving players individually, and performs a job in him akin to what Poch did with Dembele back in the day, because he actually is in a very similar situation to Dembele in the early days of Pochs reign.
The coach that got the most out of him is Genesio, currently at Rennes. It really is frustrating because I don't want to take the approach of building the team around ways to cover Tanguy's deficiencies. You would think that playing in the Premier League would be enough of a motivator on its own.

I criticize everyone when they're due for criticism.
He's kind of a flat track bully like Kane.
Can't perform when we need him to against decent opposition.

Does he know your feelings for him are fading?

It's a sad story, tbf. :dierpochhug:

Hopefully he turns it around but I’m afraid he might just be another ENIC / Levy failure.

He's never gonna make it without you fully in his corner......

You should however do a little research... You'll soon see that Poch wanted Ndombele and Ndombele wanted Poch.

(Conveniently; the necessary quotes were even posted again in todays match thread..... Enjoy. 👍 )

I find it kind of laughable we paid £60m for a professional football player that can't play a full 90 minutes. I mean what the fuck is that all about? He's 24 not 34. And it's been going on for two seasons. He should be embarrassed.

Was at the game today and paid special attention to Tanguy.

His off the ball work is dreadful. It's honestly like playing with 10 men.

His on-the-ball stuff today was poor, with the exception of one bit of skill.

I actually think he's had far worse games for us than he did yesterday. I thought he was average overall, like Kane, but with some good moments, as with Harry. Wouldn't say either were poor.

If Dele had a game like his yesterday , people would be asking for him to be excluded.

Not to say I don’t want to see him played more and see where this goes, he just seems to be getting a lot of patience from people.

Back
Top Bottom