Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m getting to the point where I hope we sell him and get someone who can play. He’s incredibly talented and I hope he gets over this injury bug, but if he can only play two games on the trot then he’s not worth it
Difficult one this. On one hand he’s obviously got ability and who would not want to see him do well, on the other hand, the club is not in a position which affords time, especially so when the fee is suggestive of someone who can hit the ground running.

clubs tend to be sensible and buy the replacement for a first team player around 12 months before that player leaves. Spurs failed to do that hence the rush to integrate. Comes back to poor planning / lack of investment.

Although I do agree with you - there are a lot of strong, powerful black athletes compared with (for example) more technical Asians in football and other sports.

I remember Michael Johnson presenting a documentary about black sprinters dominating, 1 white sprinter running sub 10 seconds, looking at survival of the fittest as a result of those who survived slave ships to north america..

Although it might have a racist tone at face value, it is true that there is a correlation with powerful players being black, but also for example Asians being more technical but less athletic / powerful.

I think it becomes racist when you start looking at a players skin colour and say 'you called him powerful because he's black' when it's quite fair and legitimate to describe powerful players as powerful - not taking skin colour into account.

Of course I do see what you mean, and a black player can be looked at and called powerful without seeing him outside of a photograph due to stereotyping.

For what it's worth, the most technically gifted player I have perhaps ever seen is Ronaldinho, and those of an older generation often say Pele.

Ndombele for me is a technical player.. but let's not pretend he wouldn't kick the shit out of Winks in every physical department too just because he's black. Recognising his physical qualities over Winks' primarily would suggest to me racist undertones.

I do think Ndombele is getting some harsh reactions, but I had thought it was because he's new, foreign and a record signing rather than his skin colour. Seem to remember a similar sentiment with Lamelas hip problem when he was supposed to replace Bale as our record signing.
Perhaps you are right though and skin colour has a part to play.. it's just not something I had considered before reading your post to be honest.

Suppose right now my awareness of racist matters within the Tottenham fanbase is at a peak following the Chelsea game.

At the risk of going on a tangent I appreciate that you're seeing this. Even through the 20th century medicine and science has been plagued with racist studies. It's not surprising at all that unconscious biases and preconceptions still persist, alongside overt racism and abuse. If you want an example of an Asian player breaking the stereotype, look at Du-Ri Cha south korean fullback, lacked technical ability but had a combination of speed and strength that was unreal, if he was black he would've been called a beast for sure.

Ndombele's fitness issues are frustrating, but we'll have to deal. We will see a good run of games from him before the season ends to show what he's worth. Other than his fitness been very happy with how quickly he's shown his ability on the pitch.

Next time I'm carrying a knock from 5 a side I think I'll pop into TFC for quick professional advice.

Grab yourself a psychological profiling too whilst your at it... It's all on offer within these hallowed pages mate.

It would be interesting if we added a poll:
Knowing what we do now should we have signed TN?

We know fuck all. Let's not flatter ourselves....

Fuck me we do love a hip injury at THFC
Must be running on world class grass at the world class training centre or maybe the world class beds at the world class training centre’s world class hotel... I had a similar injury from a stay at a Travel Lodge about a year ago, those mattresses are most unforgiving, Lenny is right. Premier Inn is much better.

(( all that world classness is making me sound like Karen Brady - sorry ))

Back
Top Bottom