Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's nothing like those players at all. Most similar to Pogba if any. I think they knew their were red flags but he was a Poch project the coach had done much more with much less than the gifts N'dombele possessed. I think Poch would have got the best out of him like Dembele who the revisionists forget was not an over night success.

- He was good (if somewhat mis-utilised) under AVB... Him & Sandro kicked ass.
- Sherwood-era was a vacuum.
- Took Poch a while to suss out what he had in Dembele (even though we'd seen it under AVB).... I distinctly remember fans being frustrated at him being on the bench; then an impact sub on the RW.... Took Poch a while to 'get it' and came close to selling him in the meantime (yikes!).

Last edited:
Showing himself up by trying to get personal over a difference in opinion about a footballer.

Absolutely pathetic tbf.
Haha pathetic is you crying like a little baby when other posters say anything about Ndombele that conflicts with your view of him. Perhaps you need to toughen up just like Tanguy does? You act as though you're the only person who notices he doesn't often finish 90 minutes. Well spotted Einstein, do you want a biscuit for stating the fucking obvious?

You don't get credit for repeating the same boring shit about a player just because you don't like him. This thread has plenty of people who can see his faults without you repeating yourself ad nauseum.

In the summer of 2019, when this transfer was completed, The Guardian's Dave Hytner wrote what now reads like a very prescient articleabout Ndombele, which contained all sorts of red flags.

"The raw talent has always been there but the focus has not and it is remarkable to think that as recently as the 2015-16 season Ndombele was fighting for recognition in the Amiens reserve team in the Championnat National 3, which is French football’s fifth tier.

“Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance. It is not meant as a compliment and takes in the impression that he has not always been the most hard-working player. Perhaps it is because his talent is so big that everything comes easily to him.

'“He was nonchalant,” Sullivan Martinet, his youth team captain at Guingamp, told Ouest France. “He was so strong that we were expecting more from him, more consistency. He didn’t try maybe as much. He didn’t give the impression of always being 100%. With hindsight, what harmed him was his behaviour off the pitch. We were less talented but we wanted it more than him.”

Those are alarming details. They’re the kind of anecdotes which will make fans wonder just how much due diligence was done prior to this deal.
Who is Sullivan Martinet ? oh his mate from U19 guingamp ... :nunofacepalm:

NDombele should start every game

Case closed.

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I hate to see talent being wasted,and there's no doubt that Tanguy is a very talented footballer. From my new vantage point, I could see the effort he made in the first half, to go with his talent. The difference in the second half was as obvious as the nose on my face.
The choice we have to make is do we allow him to play just for 45 minutes and then substitute him, or just sell him?

I don't buy the excuse that he is unfit. He is a professional athlete and of course he can play 90 minutes.

However, I feel there is a difference in opinion between Ndombele and the coaches over what the expectation is for his on pitch role.

By all accounts Ndombele has a very high opinion of himself and it could be that he wants to have a 'free role'. However, Poch, Mourinho and Nuno are very disciplined coaches who expect players to comply to a strict, rehearsed system that allows for little room to move outside of your 'job' on the pitch. As a result, he probably feels shackled; especially with Mourinho and Nuno's defensive mindset.

Take the game against Chelsea for instance. We played excellent for the first 30 minutes because of the movement of Dele Alli. He created space in midfield and allowed us to out number them. This allowed Ndombele lots of possession in the first half. Once Kante came on to man mark Dele; the tide turned and Nuno did not adjust our system. Chelsea opted to no longer mark Holjberg and allow him to be our ball player out of midfield - and as a result our passes were now safe and sideways which left us susceptible to the press. Ndombele was now forced to chase the ball, rather than control it - something I think he doesn't want to do and would rather play in a squad that dominates possession.

I hate to see talent being wasted,and there's no doubt that Tanguy is a very talented footballer. From my new vantage point, I could see the effort he made in the first half, to go with his talent. The difference in the second half was as obvious as the nose on my face.
The choice we have to make is do we allow him to play just for 45 minutes and then substitute him, or just sell him?
I think we’ll carry on playing him for the first half and then substitute him in the second when he looks gassed

Hopefully he will have made an impression by then and we will be in a good position but as soon as a decent offer comes in then sell him

But I’m not so sure now that he is our biggest problem

Back
Top Bottom