Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He will never be as good as Dembele was defensively.
Big statement and thus, unsurprisingly, I can't get behind it. He's a coachable player that has already recognized that an improvement was needed in his game and overcome that hurdle. I have seen many a defensive intervention by him that shows he has it in him. Give him time before forecasting exactly what he can and can't become. Dembele wasn't trusted defensively either in Poch's early days.

Winks may be wearing the 8 but he’ll need to play more like a 6 with Ndombele and Lo Celso.
This would seem to suit Winks (in possession) and use except for his apparent fragility and stature. Their are other issues that don't make him a perfect fit for the holding position as well.

Last edited:
what I like about this guy is he try's to turn with the ball, most of our players receive the ball and pass it back or sidewards, but this guy likes to turn and push forward

Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso is easily the second best midfield in the league and who knows in 2 years time.. Winks is the 'oldest' of those 3.
Sorry mate but how is that? You’re the third or fourth person I’ve seen on here saying Lo Celso is in our best XI. We haven’t seen him kick a ball yet! He was average in South America this summer and has had one good season in Spain.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited and hopeful but fuck me, come on, he still might flop in the EPL, let alone being one of our best players. Let’s have a bit of perspective.

He was average in South America this summer and has had one good season in Spain.
So was for example Lionel Messi, but I've seen enough of him last season to be convinced that he will be a great midfielder for us, but you are right if you say that there are no guarentees in football.

So was for example Lionel Messi, but I've seen enough of him last season to be convinced that he will be a great midfielder for us, but you are right if you say that there are no guarentees in football.
Its a ridiculous statement mate. Primera is a completely different league and you’re saying he’s part of our best XI. He had a good season but he didn’t tear it up yet he’s ahead of Deli and Eriksen? That statement is in the deluded fan territory.

Can’t wait to see him play though.

Its a ridiculous statement mate. Primera is a completely different league and you’re saying he’s part of our best XI. He had a good season but he didn’t tear it up yet he’s ahead of Deli and Eriksen? That statement is in the deluded fan territory.

Can’t wait to see him play though.
Well just wait and see then, I've no doubts that he will become a key player for us.

Let's be realistic - none of us know what Lo Celso is going to be like or how he is going to adapt to the PL. He could be a 'David Silva' for us, or he could be 'Dos Santos'...

We can but hope!

what I like about this guy is he try's to turn with the ball, most of our players receive the ball and pass it back or sidewards, but this guy likes to turn and push forward
I am so excited about him already. The way his mind is already working both passing and with take ons, he is exactly the player we have desperately needed to beat the press or create a little magic in a congested, negative opposition.

When his fitness and sharpness get to peak I think he’s going to be incredible. Clynelish Clynelish this is on evidence of him playing with us!

Off the ball, he's not that great. That's probably down to him learning his place within our shape and understanding what is expected of him to do (took Eriksen over a season for the penny to drop when after Poch came in). The other reason is getting up to the pace of the game, turnovers are quick etc, and he has to drop into his position (see above comment), McGinn played a gem of a through-ball yesterday from deep, it was Ndombele's being out of position in that passing lane that meant it went through (still it was one of the passes of the game). Oppo are running off him, needs to identify and track the runner better.

All of this will come, I'm not expecting too much from him in this dept this season, I will hope for small incremental improvements (It was exactly the same for Winks, without the ball he was all over the place, I can't level that criticism at him anymore).

On the ball, he's a gem. Took his goal so well, beautiful placement, perfectly hit with the right pace, took his time while all those around him were playing in fast-forward. I liked his reaction to the goal too, get back to restart the game was the only thing on his mind. Beautiful reverse pass chip over the entire Villa defence to Kane(?).

2nd half we saw some glimpses of why we signed him, his ability to break the lines when carrying the ball.

Last edited:
He’s got a neat technique for an outside of the boot pass.
No look, drops his shoulder away from the ball but manages to almost stamp the outside of the boot down on the ball to ping it the other way

Very cool and effective

When he is fully cooked and ready, he should replace Sissoko completely. Both in the team doesn't work. Ideally he will do everything Sissoko does, but better. Which opens up room for someone like Skipp to get in and bring some more controlled possession into our midfield.

I actually don't get why people are giving Sissoko so little credit?
I could totally see him being important part of this season as well. Just he should not be used in attacking position as he was in 1st game. His decisionmaking in oppo box / near it is not good enough.

But he can cover a lot of ground, works back to defence A LOT, and can carry the ball if there is room for it.

So if we play 4-3-3, either combo of Ndombele-Winks-Sissoko or Ndombele-Sissoko-Lo Celso could totally work. He helps to take room off from CM's of the opposition team while Ndombele is more of a passmaster.

I’m going to say that in an ideal 4-2-3-1, one of Winks, NDombele and Lo Celso shouldn’t play. To me they have one thing in common - progression with the ball under pressure, but neither of them is more specialized in breaking up counter-attacks, tackling, etc. So if we want to play NDombele to his full strength in a 4-2-3-1, I’d say he needs someone like the good old Wanyama.
Winks is not great defensively and Lo Celso is definitely not that either.

I think it depends on the opposition. Yesterday against Aston Villa, we didn't need an old school Wanyama. They barely got out of our half. Against City next week, I would like to see a player like the peak level Wanyama or Dier in a 2 next to Ndombele.

Ndombele out.
haha, far from it. We just need to allow him to get up to the speed of the game, up to the speed of Spurs and for him to learn what Poch wants from him without the ball. He's got all season to do that but I will mention it if he's not great at it, don't want to turn into Woolich and wax lyrical about a players performance when there is more to come.

So happy he's here.

Back
Top Bottom