Tactics under Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foyth-Toby-Jan-Davies
Ndombele-Dier-Lo Celso
Dele-Son
Kane

Or another way of putting this - we have no idea how he will setup tactically because apparently he spent the last 11 months reinventing himself.

Who knows.

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tanguy Ndombele has clarified that fatigue was the reason he was substituted at half-time of his side’s weekend draw with Sheffield United.

The 22-year-old was withdrawn at the interval of Spurs’ frustrating 1-1 draw against the Blades, after looking sluggish in the first 45 minutes.

“I’ve had scans that said there was nothing serious, it was more fatigue,he said to L’Equipe.
I think the words 22 year old and fatigue should never be seen in the same sentence.

I don't see Jose liking Moura at all to be honest.

I’m not sure. It’s an interesting one. He does like counter attacking football, so he will like his pace. But he will absolutely need Moura to stay out wide rather than take up Kane’s space (same might apply to Son as well).

He was also (I think) keen to get Lucas at UTD.

I can't fathom people criticizing Jose already when you consider the following:

1. He's not had a real period of time to work with this squad to instill his philosophy/approach
2. We're dealing with a lot of injuries to key players
3. The squad was severely under invested in for years and is now showing the effects of that

We've moved from 14th to 8th.

I'm just not sure he's up to it anymore.

But Mourinho will definitely put a great deal of faith in him. Absolutely loves that sort of player.
Supposedly he only signed Matic as Spurs wouldn’t sell him Dier so he could well be a favourite son of Mourinho’s.

Going to put this out there but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot more of Eriksen. It’s going to be hugely unpopular but I reckon one of the first things Mourinho will do is sit him down and tell him to work his ass off or he can spend the rest of the season in the youth squad. He’ll probably start at West Ham and play an absolute blinder.

You guys know tactics way better than I ever will, but I never want to see Aurier in a Spurs shirt again. Can put up w a lot from a player as long as they are actually trying. Serge seems to half-ass his way around the field way too often. The talk of him walking back leaving Lamela (who screamed for him to track back) to cover for him...no good.

I felt that way about CE because he no longer was putting in an honest shift. But if JM can restore him to what he can be, I'm up for it. Just not at all sure he can accomplish that.

I like Dier, but lack the faith in him. Just seems to have fallen way off. Nervous about the talk of him suddenly playing a ton.

Love Ndombele, but have to admit I don't get why his fitness level is still so off. Needs his fitness to catch up to his talent. But at least he has the talent.

Dele is the mystery to me. Know he has had injury issues, but he really seems to have regressed from his early years. Honestly, when he stopped getting overly emotional, his game seemed to dip.

Worried for Winks, Sessegnon and the academy lads

That they will be overworked now?
Because Poch did not give flying f*ck about young players. It is laughable myth and a clichee that he was "promoting youth players into the team".

Skipp, KWP and Tanganga this season are brilliant examples.
All in all he only ever promoted one player into senior lineup prominently - Winks.

And this is an awful return.

During his full 2 seasons, Mou gave Rashford 105 games (!!!) when he was 19-20.

Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League-vs-Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League.png

Five Premier League Teams’ Transfer Needs This Month

#3 is Spurs - surprise! - it's a DM we need.

Fortunately Davies will be back very soon.

At the moment Mou can’t really select and structure a proper team for each match, it’s just a case of dealing with the circumstances and getting eleven players onto the pitch and trying to win the game.

When Lloris, Ndombele and Davies are available then we can really get going.

I don't think Moura will suddenly be the main man.
He's no Robben lets be honest. Lamela probably suits Mourinho more.

Jose is so tactically nimble I’m not sure if we’ll have set tactics.

The man will game-plan for every match. Players will know exactly what they’re supposed to be doing.

I think at first we’ll probably be more compact/boring because he’ll want us to be defensively sound.

I think we have enough flexibility in our squad to get it to work initially. It wont be pretty.

Sessegnon will get time for sure.

Wondering how he'll manage to start 2 x reliable DM's when we haven't got a single one in our squad?

Back
Top Bottom