Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are not looking at his overall game and what he brings to his team. He’s not 29 till next March. I don’t think we’ll sign him because of his age so this debate is pointless but go and watch what he brings to his team the next time you watch him. He’s a guaranteed 15 goals a season plus everything else he offers.
I understand why the club are going for younger players which hopefully make us successful in the future and can sustain success but we still need ready made players no matter what their age is to make us better.
I put it this way to you,if you asked most central defenders in the premier league ,most if not all will say they don’t like paying g against Toney. We don’t have one front player that you could say that about.

I don’t think he’s a guaranteed 15 goals a season anymore… certainly not based on his rate since returning.

Yes he will start when he’s fit.

Maybe… not certain with Wissa playing like this.

End of the day, we sold Kane. Our opponents Newcastle have a player like Isak.

We need a player on the level of Son in our front 3 to play with him. Toney isn’t on Isaks level, he’s not on Son’s level. He’s nowhere near the striker Kane is.

If we end up signing Ivan Toney we might as well just give up now because this club is just accepting that it’s an expensive mid table pretender.

I don’t think he’s a guaranteed 15 goals a season anymore… certainly not based on his rate since returning.

Maybe… not certain with Wissa playing like this.

End of the day, we sold Kane. Our opponents Newcastle have a player like Isak.

We need a player on the level of Son in our front 3 to play with him. Toney isn’t on Isaks level, he’s not on Son’s level. He’s nowhere near the striker Kane is.

If we end up signing Ivan Toney we might as well just give up now because this club is just accepting that it’s an expensive mid table pretender.
Nobody replaces Kane. But we have Richarlison who’s not on Toney’s level. We need someone to take Sonny’s place as he’ll not do as a striker against low block teams. If we don’t replace what is there just now with better we stand still. Fuck that,I’m fed up settling for where we are. We are in a position financially to actually go and take us to the next level and signing young players with potential is all well and good but we need to get ones that are young but have done it. As I said earlier Toney is not an option because of his age but he’d hit the ground running for us and give us another dimension that we don’t have.
I look around and guys like Sesko,Vlahovic,Gyokeres are young and hungry and will want to play in the premier league but we won’t spend what’s needed to get that type.

Nobody replaces Kane. But we have Richarlison who’s not on Toney’s level. We need someone to take Sonny’s place as he’ll not do as a striker against low block teams. If we don’t replace what is there just now with better we stand still. Fuck that,I’m fed up settling for where we are. We are in a position financially to actually go and take us to the next level and signing young players with potential is all well and good but we need to get ones that are young but have done it. As I said earlier Toney is not an option because of his age but he’d hit the ground running for us and give us another dimension that we don’t have.
I look around and guys like Sesko,Vlahovic,Gyokeres are young and hungry and will want to play in the premier league but we won’t spend what’s needed to get that type.

Exactly mate.

On these I couldn’t agree more.

The clubs model is just an inescapable Groundhog Day.

Toney is better than Richarlison but neither of them are the level of player to get through our glass ceiling.

I still like Richy as a forward option and he came through for us when Son was away but we can’t avoid the fact that we needed another top class player when we had Son AND Kane. We never got one and Kane eventually had to leave to match his ambition. Now we need an heir to Son and we likely end up without any players at the level Son and Kane were together.

Exactly mate.

On these I couldn’t agree more.

The clubs model is just an inescapable Groundhog Day.

Toney is better than Richarlison but neither of them are the level of player to get through our glass ceiling.

I still like Richy as a forward option and he came through for us when Son was away but we can’t avoid the fact that we needed another top class player when we had Son AND Kane. We never got one and Kane eventually had to leave to match his ambition. Now we need an heir to Son and we likely end up without any players at the level Son and Kane were together.
That’s why we should go and get a top striker because when Sonny naturally drops his levels due to age then we will be left with a lot worse than what we had when we were only finishing 4th at best.
A few on here don’t think we need a striker as a priority but that is ridiculously naive.

That’s why we should go and get a top striker because when Sonny naturally drops his levels due to age then we will be left with a lot worse than what we had when we were only finishing 4th at best.
A few on here don’t think we need a striker as a priority but that is ridiculously naive.

I have no disagreement with you that we lack a striker.

But we have had this conversation. I'm more open now to a #9 than I was but we need a pressing forward that scores goals and enables the ball to stick and links others into the game. Those players are the Kun Aguero types and they seem pretty rare to me. Isak annoyingly is great pressing and does all the other stuff.

If we have another wide player that has the ability to keep the ball vs pressure and play link up football, then the striker we need maybe doesn't need to be an out and out #9?
Because I think we have more chance of finding one of these and another pure finisher to play central?

Yes he does. His all round game is better. He is a better finisher,better movement,quicker and holds the ball up better.
Their finishing has been pretty even this season. Both of their goal tally's are pretty much on par with the service they've gotten.

Vlahovic holds the ball up better but is that really enough of a reason to sell Richarlison and buy Vlahovic for more money?

There's bigger priorities than a striker when we already have one who scores goals.

What young rebuild? I’m sure Ange wants a blend of younger players x experienced

He's spoken repeatedly about the ages of Sarr, Udogie, VDV, Johnson, and now Dragusin... Vicario is the only significant player he's signed over 25 Permanently.

The club is rebuilding the squad anyway, the manager is there to get the best out of them.

Their finishing has been pretty even this season. Both of their goal tally's are pretty much on par with the service they've gotten.

Vlahovic holds the ball up better but is that really enough of a reason to sell Richarlison and buy Vlahovic for more money?

There's bigger priorities than a striker when we already have one who scores goals.
I don’t think there is a bigger priority. We are going to be playing against low blocks most weeks and we don’t have a striker that can play with his back to goal or link with midfielders. Nothing will improve until we get a striker that can do that. We will still play the same way by getting it wide and fire crosses across the box for one touch finishes which we’ve been decent at but when we can’t do that we have absolutely nothing.

What young rebuild? I’m sure Ange wants a blend of younger players x experienced
We won’t buy a player over 25. Only madders and Vicario signed that were over 25. I think it’s wrong but there’s obviously a plan there but if you want a top player around 21/22/23 then you are paying fortunes that we won’t pay.

I don’t think there is a bigger priority. We are going to be playing against low blocks most weeks and we don’t have a striker that can play with his back to goal or link with midfielders. Nothing will improve until we get a striker that can do that. We will still play the same way by getting it wide and fire crosses across the box for one touch finishes which we’ve been decent at but when we can’t do that we have absolutely nothing.
We're playing low blocks already. We need a left winger more than anything.

Keep the striker who is able to do the most important thing, score goals.

Get a left winger who retains the ball and links play instead, we need one anyway.

I
We're playing low blocks already. We need a left winger more than anything.

Keep the striker who is able to do the most important thing, score goals.

Get a left winger who retains the ball and links play instead, we need one anyway.
mate we need a left winger too. Sonny is a man down at times even though his numbers are decent but if we had someone who can play with his back to goal then we will create more and different type of chances too. I’m not writing sonny off yet but we need a better all round striker. As for left wing and right wing we need massive upgrades too. Werner and Johnson will create chances because of our style of play but it breaks down too much with them. Add in deki to that and we have a front four that give the ball away more than they keep it against low blocks.
The whole front line needs upgraded and if we don’t do that then don’t expect improvement. Most of our problems come because they can’t keep the ball better,pick the right option in the final third or finish. We play bravely and will always be susceptible to the counter so if we improve the front line then the opposition won’t be able to counter as much. Being more clinical is something that if it gets better the more we don’t play against low blocks. Teams will have to come out more and we will be able to punish teams easier.

He's spoken repeatedly about the ages of Sarr, Udogie, VDV, Johnson, and now Dragusin... Vicario is the only significant player he's signed over 25 Permanently.

The club is rebuilding the squad anyway, the manager is there to get the best out of them.
I don’t care what he says, it’s just soundbites for the media.

Cool.

Either way Toney would be a horrible idea for this squad. He could work with a bunch of grizzled old pro's but not our lot. We could use another old head like Perisic. Tbh without his injury we might have got a bunch more points.
Agree, he was super in his last appearance (Newcastle away when we lost 6-1)

Back
Top Bottom