Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah I think so. I think we should just go all in on Son and Richy as centre forwards for now as both different, offer different options and with Richy now proving he can score.

I think we will sign Werner, Solomon(who knows possibly a loan next year)

Johnson and Kulu(could become an attacking utility player)

With Gil likely leaving I think that leaves room for us to buy another wide forward

JD was a typical stat padder striker, pretty sure he had a woeful scoring record against the trad top 4 of that era. I'd not argue Crouch delivered value on his fee, particularly as we recouped all the money we paid for him when we got shot of him to Stoke, something we failed to do with either Keane or Defoe incidentally. Thing is in my opinion, which is an opinion that can be backed by the same metrics people are using in this very thread to defend Crouch, we already had a better striker at the club in Roman Pavlyuchenko, and Crouch came in for a fee to play ahead of Pav for no particular reason other than he was tall and perceived to have a "good touch for a big fella". I didn't see much of that from him for us tbh, he was very aerially inept considering his height, referees seemed to have his card marked before the game began.
I'm aware it does come off a touch personal but for me watching Crouch play for us when we were trailing in a match was just as bad as watching the Conte team at 1-0 up IMO. Just relentlessly turning over possession as desperation sets in and everyone's desperately hoofing it up to the big man. I do think he's a pretty funny and decent bloke, I don't hate him as a person, but as a footballer he was painful to watch for me.

I actually said previously I thought he was the better striker of the two when Crouch came in, he had a very difficult first season for us but I think he turned into a very efficient squad player for us, I remember one particular purple patch where he was scoring with every start and sub appearance but couldn't find his way into the first XI under Harry, I don't know if maybe he wasn't a very good trainer, language barrier or something but he actually performed to a standard that suggested he was the best of all 4 of him, Keane, Defoe and Crouch when that was our striker quartet. I certainly thought so at the time, although he was admittedly limited and did blow a bit when he started after 70 mins or so.
If Jermaine was playing now I think a lot of his goals would be ruled out for offside . He never got the hang of holding his run. Amazing how many strikers cannot do this,even when they have the halfway line just in front of them.
on a recent Gary Neville soccer box With Jimmy Hasselbaink. Showed a Liverpool chelsea game 2-2 Jimmy scored both and Owen got 2 for Liverpool. One of the Owen goals looked dodgy. I ran it back and as the ball was played Owen was clearly offside. He wasn’t just a big toe offside, his whole body was the other side of the defender. Commentator never questioned it. How many of those did Owen get.
This is what VAR has done to us. When there is no VAR we just look for the offsides.

Was thinking I think there's only a handful of players who who are cemented as spurs players next season

Vicario, Porro, Romero, Dragusin, VDV, Udogie, Sarr, Maddison, Son and Johnson

Was thinking I think there's only a handful of players who who are cemented as spurs players next season

Vicario, Porro, Romero, Dragusin, VDV, Udogie, Sarr, Maddison, Son and Johnson

Bentancur surely adds to that list. Kulusevski as well even if he doesn't have many fans on this forum.

In all honestly, I doubt Ange wants much more than 3 in 3 out on the summer. Maybe even less than that tbh. Big changes fuck with stability and what he will want now is steady, incremental progress.

Bentancur surely adds to that list. Kulusevski as well even if he doesn't have many fans on this forum.

In all honestly, I doubt Ange wants much more than 3 in 3 out on the summer. Maybe even less than that tbh. Big changes fuck with stability and what he will want now is steady, incremental progress.
Yeah for me personally Bentancur, Kulusevski and Bissouma add to the list and I don't think for one minute it's going to be wholesale changes.

But I wouldn't be surprised if one of the more bigger/established players leaves the club in order for him to bring in someone he really wants

Yeah for me personally Bentancur, Kulusevski and Bissouma add to the list and I don't think for one minute it's going to be wholesale changes.

But I wouldn't be surprised if one of the more bigger/established players leaves the club in order for him to bring in someone he really wants
Unless of course the club is willing to back him financially and have high earners way down the pecking order

Rice plays much deeper in the 6 role and is a good carrier of the ball from there. At chavs you have enzo and caicedo playing that role with CG ahead.
Rice starts deeper, he doesn't stay there, he pops up all over the shop to steal the ball when the other team's in transition.

Gallagher does the same. Just because he starts higher, doesn't mean he does a different job. His stats alone are proof of that.

Doku’s XA90 (0.31) is exactly what Grealish’s is (and was last season) with twice the minutes but he’s a 21yo having his first season in the PL. Grealish is (28) in his prime.

It’s also better than Kulusevski’s and Maddison’s.

What do these new style football nonsense figures actually mean?

Looks like more drivel for virgins who don’t actually go to games but live on social media.

Rice is different gravy. Gallagher could be a decent player for us, mainly for the pressing, but Rice is second only to Rodri worldwide in his role.

He’s not even playing the same role as Rodri most weeks.

Here’s an article from the weekend which sums up what I’ve been telling you since Woolwich bought him. He’s nowhere near Rodri as a 6.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jorginho-Woolwich-mike-arteta-premier-league-q2m20kphd

Has Mikel Arteta stumbled upon his best team? At the start of the season, he was clear that he regarded Kai Havertz primarily as a midfield No 8, and accordingly, his preferred XI featured Declan Rice as the deep-lying pivot in midfield, flanked by Havertz and Martin Odegaard, and Gabriel Jesus up front, in between Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli.

That remains a very good team, but the front six Arteta has fielded in Woolwich’s past two home games, against Liverpool and in the 4-1 win against Newcastle United on Saturday, offers a balance and a level of control that seems of title-winning calibre. Up front, Havertz has led the press and offered a taller, more physical outlet than Jesus, and in midfield, Rice has been liberated to play a higher, freer, more aggressive role, by the calm, metronomic presence of Jorginho.

What the writer of the article doesn’t seem to realise is this has been going on all season with Arteta unable to figure out what to do with Rice. He wanted him to be his Rodri, that’s what he was bought for, and he can’t do it, not for the tough games, he lacks the skill set, reading and discipline.

If we get champion's league then we have enough cash to sew blue patches over the red on the go kart outfits.

swiss-rumble-estimated-ffp-position-for-summer-2024-v0-bxdv9n5f86lc1.png

If we get champion's league then we have enough cash to sew blue patches over the red on the go kart outfits.

swiss-rumble-estimated-ffp-position-for-summer-2024-v0-bxdv9n5f86lc1.png

I’d question all those figures. Ours seems huge while I thought the scum were meant to be very close to ffp limits. Man Utd’s makes no sense either given they couldn’t spend anything in January. I know it’s for rolling periods but 3 summers ago both clubs were spending huge amounts.

Back
Top Bottom