Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kind of has the James milner about him not as technical as his teammates but still good enough and will run his bollocks off.

Managers love a player like him.

Would be a decent squad player but we need better if we want to go up a level.
I'm not in the Gallagher in group, but I think there's too much emphasis on what he does in isolation, it's what he potentially brings to the team dynamic that matters.

For instance, if you have Gallagher consistently pressuring opponents and winning the ball back, as his stats show him as one of the best in the league for, that's what builds pressure and creates opportunities that the likes of Maddison can take advantage of, then it can potentially take the team up a level.

I'm not saying that will be the case, but it has the potential to. I'd be interested to know just how many opportunities his diligence has presented, that the Chelsea frontline then went on to squander.

I feel that's the type of performance metric that is looked at, rather than the G&A that many seem to be fixated on.

I don't particularly rate him that highly as a pure Footballer, but if he adds something to the midfield that increases the opportunities for the pure Footballers we do have, then he will take us up a level.

I think this is what Rice does for Odegaard. Win the ball as they're transitioning then, when they're out of shape, get it to the creatives.

Personally, I'd prefer someone who has similar tenacity, but better tekkers. However, if the system that saw us pick round pegs for round holes, over the last 2 seasons, say he's another round peg, who am I to gainsay that?

Last edited:
I'd say for 10m euro (about 8m quid at the time) Crouch delivered on his fee.... I won't pretend it was pretty; but he pretty much did what he was bought to do. Despite your initial post; his numbers were decent and no, he wasn't worthy of such scathing description.

ALL COMPS:
Apps: 93 (59 starts) / 24 goals / 21 asst.

JD was his typical purple patch self.... His attitude towards finding himself on the bench never helped in either stint.

Keane proved a waste of money..... Was never the same when he returned.
JD was a typical stat padder striker, pretty sure he had a woeful scoring record against the trad top 4 of that era. I'd not argue Crouch delivered value on his fee, particularly as we recouped all the money we paid for him when we got shot of him to Stoke, something we failed to do with either Keane or Defoe incidentally. Thing is in my opinion, which is an opinion that can be backed by the same metrics people are using in this very thread to defend Crouch, we already had a better striker at the club in Roman Pavlyuchenko, and Crouch came in for a fee to play ahead of Pav for no particular reason other than he was tall and perceived to have a "good touch for a big fella". I didn't see much of that from him for us tbh, he was very aerially inept considering his height, referees seemed to have his card marked before the game began.
I'm aware it does come off a touch personal but for me watching Crouch play for us when we were trailing in a match was just as bad as watching the Conte team at 1-0 up IMO. Just relentlessly turning over possession as desperation sets in and everyone's desperately hoofing it up to the big man. I do think he's a pretty funny and decent bloke, I don't hate him as a person, but as a footballer he was painful to watch for me.
I always liked Pav and don’t think he was given the opportunity to be a regular. Pav was not a shit striker.
I actually said previously I thought he was the better striker of the two when Crouch came in, he had a very difficult first season for us but I think he turned into a very efficient squad player for us, I remember one particular purple patch where he was scoring with every start and sub appearance but couldn't find his way into the first XI under Harry, I don't know if maybe he wasn't a very good trainer, language barrier or something but he actually performed to a standard that suggested he was the best of all 4 of him, Keane, Defoe and Crouch when that was our striker quartet. I certainly thought so at the time, although he was admittedly limited and did blow a bit when he started after 70 mins or so.

I'm not in the Gallagher in group, but I think there's too much emphasis on what he does in isolation, it's what he potentially brings to the team dynamic that matters.

For instance, if you have Gallagher consistently pressuring opponents and winning the ball back, as his stats show him as one of the best in the league for, that's what builds pressure and creates opportunities that the likes of Maddison can take advantage of, then it can potentially take the team up a level.

I'm not saying that will be the case, but it has the potential to. I'd be interested to know just how many opportunities his diligence has presented, that the Chelsea frontline then went on to squander.

I feel that's the type of performance metric that is looked at, rather than the G&A that many seem to be fixated on.

I don't particularly rate him that highly as a pure Footballer, but if he adds something to the midfield that increases the opportunities for the pure Footballers we do have, then he will take us up a level.

I think this is what Rice does for Odegaard. Win the ball as they're transitioning then, when they're out of shape, get it to the creatives.

Personally, I'd prefer someone who has similar tenacity, but better tekkers. However, if the system that saw us pick round pegs for round holes, over the last 2 seasons, say he's another round peg, who am I to gainsay that?
Rice plays much deeper in the 6 role and is a good carrier of the ball from there. At chavs you have enzo and caicedo playing that role with CG ahead.

A psychiatrist shows a man a series of Rorschach inkblots to gauge his reactions.

On the first inkblot, the man says: "It's a guy getting a blowjob."

On the second, the man says: "Hmmm, looks like a woman receiving cunnilingus from another woman."

On the third, the man says: "It appears to be a woman mounting a man, reverse-cowgirl style, while she's blindfolded."

The psychiatrist continues to show more inkblots, and the man continues to see sexual imagery.

The psychiatrist concludes the inkblot test, and tells the man:
"Clearly, you have an advanced case of sexual addiction. You see nothing but sexual imagery in all of the inkblots."

The man replies: "That's hardly a fair diagnosis. You're the one with all the dirty pictures!"

Rice plays much deeper in the 6 role and is a good carrier of the ball from there. At chavs you have enzo and caicedo playing that role with CG ahead.

Rice is different gravy. Gallagher could be a decent player for us, mainly for the pressing, but Rice is second only to Rodri worldwide in his role.

They should do these stats with G/I after a dribble.

Doku isn't having a great season at all really. 2 goals and 5 assists but 4 of those in 1 game vs Bournemouth so clearly an outlier.

He's getting massively overhyped compared to what he actually delivers and some of the successful 1v1 dribbles they count are pretty fishy as well.

Doku’s XA90 (0.31) is exactly what Grealish’s is (and was last season) with twice the minutes but he’s a 21yo having his first season in the PL. Grealish is (28) in his prime.

It’s also better than Kulusevski’s and Maddison’s.

Doku’s XA90 (0.31) is exactly what Grealish’s is (and was last season) with twice the minutes but he’s a 21yo having his first season in the PL. Grealish is (28) in his prime.

It’s also better than Kulusevski’s and Maddison’s.

He also has less goals than Grealish even this season in the league despite 400 odd more minutes.

And he doesn’t do any of Grealish’s work tracking back or defensively. No way would he do what Grealish did for Villa years ago.

Most of his pissing xA would’ve come when he got 4 of his current 5 assists against Bournemouth.

Back
Top Bottom