Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Depends on how long it takes The Tanc to get back to his glorious best.

He’s not the athlete that Sarr is but he’s technically ahead for now.

Longer term Sarr has a ceiling that’s not just higher than Tanc but tbh higher than most box to box style CMs in the world. I still think he’d benefit from a battle for his place with a technician at this stage of his career.

‘Glorious’

I really don’t think Bentancur is an automatic starter ahead of Sarr. I Hope not anyway. Sarr’s raw but at least he’s got some fucking vim, Bentancur’s a plodder.
I wouldn't call Bentancur a 'plodder', but for sure he needs to win his place back from Sarr first. We've really not seen any of what he might be able to do in a proper attacking system.

I wouldn't call Bentancur a 'plodder', but for sure he needs to win his place back from Sarr first. We've really not seen any of what he might be able to do in a proper attacking system.
That's true, but there's also a reason why we wanted Gallagher so bad this window.

I still think Sarr needs more time, and at 20 he certainly isn't an automatic starter like Biss/Madders.

If Bentancur can get back to his form before injury he is an automatic starter and we would be up there with the best midfield in the league.

I get your point, but the players who were pushed out by the new starters don't seem to be even good backups. Dier is fully out of the squad, Lenglet not re-signed, Sanchez sold, so the former starter as new backup doesn't apply to CBs.

Sess is a non-entity. Spends so much time injured, and is so shit when he does play that we wouldn't want him as a backup either.

I think only Davies, PEH, and Kulu (and maybe Emerson) might be considered former starters who will be regularly relied on as substitutes and backups.

My point is that some of these guys were first team regulars, and with 5 new players this season starting, it means the players they have replaced are either in the back ups or sold.

In total we have bought 20 players this window or last 2 seasons (all named in my previous posts) of which 3 might be classed as youngsters - Phillips, Veliz and Gill, although he should be first team material lets see - meaning there are 17 other players who form the nucleus of the squad.

With no europe, we will probably only use about 20 players - with the extra 3 probably being Son, Hojbjerg and Lo Celso with a few others from 'past regimes' named in the squad but never used.

Posters seem to be ventilating about almost nothing - I get a back up CB (who we might never use this season) would be useful, but its quite likely Ange has identified who within the squad could cover that position as a normal part of risk planning before Sanchez left. I for one was not too keen on Lenglet coming back, except as a last resort on loan, as next summer I want as many squad positions as possible available to upgrade - a better situation for the next few situations.

It was never a possibility to fix all the squad problems this window - I'm delighted with progress made filling key positions in the first team, given how few matches we are likely to play this season with no europe.

Tom Cruise What GIF
Ben Tank ur

The Tank

My point is that some of these guys were first team regulars, and with 5 new players this season starting, it means the players they have replaced are either in the back ups or sold.

In total we have bought 20 players this window or last 2 seasons (all named in my previous posts) of which 3 might be classed as youngsters - Phillips, Veliz and Gill, although he should be first team material lets see - meaning there are 17 other players who form the nucleus of the squad.

With no europe, we will probably only use about 20 players - with the extra 3 probably being Son, Hojbjerg and Lo Celso with a few others from 'past regimes' named in the squad but never used.

Posters seem to be ventilating about almost nothing - I get a back up CB (who we might never use this season) would be useful, but its quite likely Ange has identified who within the squad could cover that position as a normal part of risk planning before Sanchez left. I for one was not too keen on Lenglet coming back, except as a last resort on loan, as next summer I want as many squad positions as possible available to upgrade - a better situation for the next few situations.

It was never a possibility to fix all the squad problems this window - I'm delighted with progress made filling key positions in the first team, given how few matches we are likely to play this season with no europe.
Yeah, your general point is completely valid. It has been a very good few windows. To replace almost our entire starting 11 in just two seasons has been incredible. It would be unrealistic to think we could be rid of ALL our deadwood this window.

Just think that we should also move on PEH, Davies and co as soon as possible, they're not the reliable backups we'd like them to be.

Yeah, your general point is completely valid. It has been a very good few windows. To replace almost our entire starting 11 in just two seasons has been incredible. It would be unrealistic to think we could be rid of ALL our deadwood this window.

Just think that we should also move on PEH, Davies and co as soon as possible, they're not the reliable backups we'd like them to be.

Sure

There are a few on loans where we are probably subsidising wages (particularly Ndomble maybe £7m pa subsidy), Reguilon, Rodon and then the less well regarded members of the squad Dier, Davies, Lo Celso, Sessegnon et al plus the enigma of Lloris.

So still a fair amount to do on outs which might take 2 more summers to completely clear, but hopefully anyone not wanted in the squad is on loan next season (and out of sight).

But the next windows like this window needs to have a big focus on bring in players who can upgrade the first team mainly, but being careful to only bring in squad players who won't become next windows problem to move on. There's no reason why in a year or two's time maybe 3-6 of the 'squad players' are not the best of the Spurs youth players, some of whom might become genuine stars, others who might be moved on after a season or two to be replaced by another up and coming player from academy - would mean we are not hamstrung by the need to buy HG players plus focussing our spend on first team players.

Sure

There are a few on loans where we are probably subsidising wages (particularly Ndomble maybe £7m pa subsidy), Reguilon, Rodon and then the less well regarded members of the squad Dier, Davies, Lo Celso, Sessegnon et al plus the enigma of Lloris.

So still a fair amount to do on outs which might take 2 more summers to completely clear, but hopefully anyone not wanted in the squad is on loan next season (and out of sight).

But the next windows like this window needs to have a big focus on bring in players who can upgrade the first team mainly, but being careful to only bring in squad players who won't become next windows problem to move on. There's no reason why in a year or two's time maybe 3-6 of the 'squad players' are not the best of the Spurs youth players, some of whom might become genuine stars, others who might be moved on after a season or two to be replaced by another up and coming player from academy - would mean we are not hamstrung by the need to buy HG players plus focussing our spend on first team players.
Agree re squad players. Even if not academy, but young and British - easy to move on quickly if it doesn’t work out

Here is the team for our first EPL game 2021-22:

2021-22
Lloris
Tanganga
Sanchez
Dier
Reguillon
Dele
Hojbjerg
Skipp
Lucas
Son
Bergwijn

7 "gone"
Son and Skipp will stay but question marks over Hoj and Dier.

Here is the team for our first EPL game 2021-22:

2021-22
Lloris
Tanganga
Sanchez
Dier
Reguillon
Dele
Hojbjerg
Skipp
Lucas
Son
Bergwijn

7 "gone"
Son and Skipp will stay but question marks over Hoj and Dier.

Thanks.

Excellent illustration of the changes made in 2 or 3 years - 100% change of the first team with those displaced either having left the club, others on loan and a very few now occupying squad positions

Big improvement in quality in a pretty short timespan.

Still more to do - but even ManCity despite spending zillions is still making changes, so no shame we still need to make changes in next window or three !

View: https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1700182220298739974?s=20

Looks like confirmation that Madison cost £40m, payable as :
1/3 rd this summer
1/3rd summer 2024 £13.33m
1/3rd summer 2025 £13.33m

Bargain price for a very talented player who spurs have needed for a few years (even if Conte vetoed Spurs approach to sign Maddison a year ago)

I hope that in the end, it's a case of one door closes, and another one opens... or something.

If we got him last season, Cunte probably wouldn't have even play him, and even if he did, maybe things don't work out so well, the team remains in a very tense, uneasy place. Conte fucks off a season later anyway etc.

Have wondered the same about Udogie.

Back
Top Bottom