Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember there was a lot of hype with him.
Agreed.

I was under the impression he was on his way up, one of the few academy stories that looked good for us. I hope there's a buy-back clause. Maybe, like Cirkin and Clarke, he didn't see a way through and has taken the big step of moving on.

Good luck to him.
He was out for most of last season after it was discovered he had a heart condition/problem. Apparently it's sorted/maintainable now but he missed a lot of football and only had a year left on his contract. Hopefully all good health-wise and he can have a decent career

He was out for most of last season after it was discovered he had a heart condition/problem. Apparently it's sorted/maintainable now but he missed a lot of football and only had a year left on his contract. Hopefully all good health-wise and he can have a decent career
Ah, thanks for that, I had no idea.

the turnover of players is insane! 22 named here alone ffs!

these players weren't involved last season (7/3)

vicario

phillips - van de ven - udogie

lo celso - maddison - gil

johnson - veliz - solomon​

these players aren't involved this season (3/3/4/2)

moura - kane - danjuma

winks - ndombele

reguilon - sanchez - lenglet - rodon - dier - spence

lloris​

EDIT

I just voted so the poll was revealed. 99 people voted 4 or below for this window. 99 of the 314 votes were FOUR or below

tenor.gif

Last edited:

vicario

moura - kane - danjuma

winks - ndombele

lloris​
I don’t think our current squad is anywhere near complete yet. Still holes to fill and a few to ship out, but it does feel like we’ve turned over a new leaf and are at the start of something.

The vitriol towards Dier, Lloris, Moura, Sanchez, (insert scapegoat here) has probably gotten a bit over to the top the last few years but there’s a lot to be said for the enjoyment of moving onto some fresh, new, and exciting players.

Obviously Angeball is a big improvement in terms of enjoyment, but it’s also a relief to not have the Kane axe dangling above our neck. We can build something long-term and sustainable if we do the right things, it’s not just frantic scramble to keep Harry happy.

Last edited:
I don’t think our current squad is anywhere near complete yet. Still holes to fill and a few to ship out, but it does feel like we’ve turned over a new leaf and are at the start of something.

The vitriol towards Dier, Lloris, Moura, Sanchez, (insert scapegoat here) has probably gotten a bit over to the top the last few years but there’s a lot to be said for the enjoyment of moving onto some fresh, new, and exciting players.

Obviously Angeball is a big improvement in terms of enjoyment, but it’s also a relief to not have the Kane axe dangling above our neck. We can build something long-term and sustainable if we do the right things, it’s not just frantic scramble to keep Harry happy.
I agree 100%

Kane was always going to go or retire, the media seems to have gone quiet on the "they can't replace his 30 goals" rhetoric as well.

Dier was better as a defensive mid than defebder, he lacks pace as a defender so makes stupid decisions, he's fine if you want to just sit back and soak pressure balls into the box but offers very little otherwise.

Lloris has always had a howler in him, the captain armband kept him from getting dropped sooner, I've never understood the decision to make goalkeeper captains. He became more prone to mistakes over the past few years as it was obvious he was in decline, and I could never seeing happy with a number 2 slot.

Moura always puzzled me, so much potential but his lack of consistency is why he has never been a truly elite player, lovely guy though and wish him the best.

Sanchez never ever lived up to his potential, which is what I find the most disappointing, although the vitriol towards him has often been massively unwarranted.

If we're going with youth, as seems to be the new mantra, let's get some of the u21s into fa cup games or atleast on the bench, some of those may step up to plug our gaps.

Every other Prem club seems to unearth talented kids and play them, we don't, we 100% have them, just never fully give them a route into the first team and give enough patience for them to shine

vicario

moura - kane - danjuma

winks - ndombele

lloris​

EDIT

I just voted so the poll was revealed. 99 people voted 4 or below for this window. 99 of the 314 votes were FOUR or below

tenor.gif

Yes its bizarre - 5 players started for Spurs in the last game v Burnley who were not in the squad last season - Vicario, Ven de Ven, Maddison and Solomon whilst Udogie was loaned out last season after being bought last summer.

So that's 4 new players signed this window that Ange is happy to start and another in his debut season for Spurs.

That's a huge improvement in our first team 5 out 11 players are new.

I get we couldn't get rid of all the players we wanted to and ideally would have liked a back up CB, but its a big improvement in the squad this season, without those happening,

Worth reminding ourselves these are the 20 players who have joined the First team squad in this summer or last 2 seasons - Vicario, Forster, Romero, Van de Ven, Udogie, Porro, Royal, Bentancur, Bissouma, Maddison, Sarr, Skipp (after Norwich loan), Kulusevski, Richarlison, Johnson, Perisic, Solomon with youngsters Phillips, Gil and Veliz.

So getting close to a complete new squad in 3 seasons.

Of course its not a complete squad so we'll add another few and maybe a couple of these will move on.

But its crazy not to applaud those bringing in these players - few clubs (if any ?) have done as well.

Let's face it... The media are tamping that Kane went abroad. All the push to get him to leave us was so he went to United. They're sick that didn't happen.

That's why I hope Ange wins us something - to win it without Kane would be a massive two fingers up to them all.

Swearing Two Fingers GIF by The Good, The Bad & The Rugby

vicario

moura - kane - danjuma

winks - ndombele

lloris​

EDIT

tenor.gif
I think you can look at the window in two ways. In relative terms the last couple of windows have been absolutely 10/10. Few teams have bought so many good players in such a short time, especially starting 11 players.

However, in absolute terms it's less impressive. Ultimately, we went from a disaster season finishing 8th to finally being bakc in top 4 contention (hopefully). We signed a top creative player in Maddison, but lost an all time great in Kane.

We also have basically no depth. Important work is still left undone, which may end up costing us that precious top 4.

Let's face it... The media are tamping that Kane went abroad. All the push to get him to leave us was so he went to United. They're sick that didn't happen.

That's why I hope Ange wins us something - to win it without Kane would be a massive two fingers up to them all.

Swearing Two Fingers GIF by The Good, The Bad & The Rugby
Yeah, they've been milking the Kane out of Spurs story (as well as the rest of our Poch era players) for everything it was worth. Now it's dawning on them that they've lost that easy storyline, as well as England's captain. They cover the Bundesliga a bit more, but no one cares.

So many tied to pretend he wasn't a superstar, but he filled column inches more than any other PL player.

tenor.gif
It's still too early to tell (you can only really know how good a transfer window was a few years after imo) but while there was lots of positives, there were also lots of negatives. Also it's worth baring in mind that the poll was released on transfer deadline day which was disappointing for many.

Look positive ATM
  • James Maddison (such a bargain for how good he is)
  • Brennan Johnson
  • Micky Van de Ven
  • Guglielmo Vicario
  • Manor Solomon
  • The fee for Kane
  • Selling Winks
  • Djed Spence Loan
Really Unknown
  • Ashley Phillips (very hopeful though, being trusted on the bench this early)
  • Alejo Véliz
Looking neutral ATM
  • Ndombélé Loan
  • Reguilón Loan
  • Rodon Loan
  • Tanganga Loan (with conditional obligation)
  • Selling Sánchez (Before this window this would have been positive for me but looking at our CB depth now)
  • Not getting another striker (this was negative to me before Son's performance)
  • Giovani Lo Celso staying (I really don't rate him and always seems injured but I hope he proves me wrong)
Look negative atm
  • Losing Kane
  • Not getting another CB
  • Not selling Dier
  • Not selling Ndombélé
  • Not selling Reguilón
  • Not selling Rodon
  • Lloris remains (after making it clear he wanted to leave)
While their transfer fees *may* count towards this window, I don't think including Kulusevski, Porro or Udogie in rating this window really counts. I personally didn't count the appointment of Postecoglu in the rating for this window (or my score would be 2 higher on that alone). Also others have strong opinions of the likes of Gil, Davis, Sessegnon (who I think we should try and move on as he's made of glass and no more than a squad player anyway but you can't sell injured players).

I must admit, I first gave this window a 4 on deadline day. Not getting in another CB or ST seemed like either poor planning or a poor decision and deadline day was disappointing. Losing Kane (even though I believe it was the correct decision) also weighed my score down. Also only selling Winks when none of Ndombélé, Reguilón, Dier, Lloris, Rodon, Sánchez, Lo Celso and Sessegnon were made the window disappointing from an outgoing view (even though I appreciate that it was hard/impossible to sell some of these and not completely in Spurs' control).

Then the Burnley game happened and we saw how deadly Son can be as the ST in Postecoglu's Tottenham. Son was so out of form last season that I was worried he might be on the decline but he looked back to his best. This eased my concerns over not getting another ST and I upped my rating to 5 (before your post).

Then to Turkey. Loaning out Ndombélé is better than nothing. And while I do not rate Sánchez that highly (nothing against the man, I hope he does well) and wanted him to leave, selling him and leaving our backup CBs to be Phillips, Dorrington and Dier seems very risky. So my rating stays at 5 for now (although it is close to getting to a 6)

BUT as I said at the start, I don't think you can fully judge a window until some time passes. I won't be surprised if in 5 years time I'm saying how this was a 9/10 window. The signings that we have made have seemed really positive, in Son and a Richarlison who may gain confidence we may not need another ST and maybe either Romero and Van de Ven play every game before we sign a new CB in Jan or Phillips/Dorrington show their worth as capable young CBs without causing much issue. But it could also go the other way.

It's still too early to tell (you can only really know how good a transfer window was a few years after imo) but while there was lots of positives, there were also lots of negatives. Also it's worth baring in mind that the poll was released on transfer deadline day which was disappointing for many.

Look positive ATM
  • James Maddison (such a bargain for how good he is)
  • Brennan Johnson
  • Micky Van de Ven
  • Guglielmo Vicario
  • Manor Solomon
  • The fee for Kane
  • Selling Winks
  • Djed Spence Loan
Really Unknown
  • Ashley Phillips (very hopeful though, being trusted on the bench this early)
  • Alejo Véliz
Looking neutral ATM
  • Ndombélé Loan
  • Reguilón Loan
  • Rodon Loan
  • Tanganga Loan (with conditional obligation)
  • Selling Sánchez (Before this window this would have been positive for me but looking at our CB depth now)
  • Not getting another striker (this was negative to me before Son's performance)
  • Giovani Lo Celso staying (I really don't rate him and always seems injured but I hope he proves me wrong)
Look negative atm
  • Losing Kane
  • Not getting another CB
  • Not selling Dier
  • Not selling Ndombélé
  • Not selling Reguilón
  • Not selling Rodon
  • Lloris remains (after making it clear he wanted to leave)
While their transfer fees *may* count towards this window, I don't think including Kulusevski, Porro or Udogie in rating this window really counts. I personally didn't count the appointment of Postecoglu in the rating for this window (or my score would be 2 higher on that alone). Also others have strong opinions of the likes of Gil, Davis, Sessegnon (who I think we should try and move on as he's made of glass and no more than a squad player anyway but you can't sell injured players).

I must admit, I first gave this window a 4 on deadline day. Not getting in another CB or ST seemed like either poor planning or a poor decision and deadline day was disappointing. Losing Kane (even though I believe it was the correct decision) also weighed my score down. Also only selling Winks when none of Ndombélé, Reguilón, Dier, Lloris, Rodon, Sánchez, Lo Celso and Sessegnon were made the window disappointing from an outgoing view (even though I appreciate that it was hard/impossible to sell some of these and not completely in Spurs' control).

Then the Burnley game happened and we saw how deadly Son can be as the ST in Postecoglu's Tottenham. Son was so out of form last season that I was worried he might be on the decline but he looked back to his best. This eased my concerns over not getting another ST and I upped my rating to 5 (before your post).

Then to Turkey. Loaning out Ndombélé is better than nothing. And while I do not rate Sánchez that highly (nothing against the man, I hope he does well) and wanted him to leave, selling him and leaving our backup CBs to be Phillips, Dorrington and Dier seems very risky. So my rating stays at 5 for now (although it is close to getting to a 6)

BUT as I said at the start, I don't think you can fully judge a window until some time passes. I won't be surprised if in 5 years time I'm saying how this was a 9/10 window. The signings that we have made have seemed really positive, in Son and a Richarlison who may gain confidence we may not need another ST and maybe either Romero and Van de Ven play every game before we sign a new CB in Jan or Phillips/Dorrington show their worth as capable young CBs without causing much issue. But it could also go the other way.

One point overlooked by many on Transfer day is that by bringing in 2 quality HG players in Maddison and Johnson we made a big inroad into our HG problem - not enough quality HG players. In terms of the squad its easy to see how both players will be upgrading HG players such as Sessegnon or Rodon.

The other point that nobody seemed to grasp on Transfer day, despite seeing a few pre-season matches - is that we brought in some players who are key for Spurs to replace the 30 goals a season that Harry used to score - Maddison will score 10 a season by himself as will Johnson and creativity from Maddison (and indeed Udogie in his debut season for Spurs) will mean there are far more chances created than in previous seasons and that there will be another 10 or more goals scored from those chances by players all round the squad. My guess from the games so far and indeed pre-season is spurs will be typically creating 30% more chances ........ which could be a lot of goals.

I'd suggest the 11 PL goals in the first 4 matches confirms that thinking is correct - and indeed that we will see a range of goalscorers, both the expected Son 3, and maybe expected Maddison 2 (so 10 goals a season might be a conservative estimate), CB Romero (not an obvious scorer) with 2 with other goals from AM Kulusevski, CM Sarr, RB Royal plus an OG.

So my view is that whilst it was always an impossible task to find one player to replace Kane's goals and assists, I think we now have a system and a range of players, particularly with Maddison, who can replace Kane's goals. That's something all the pundits said would be impossible : but its looking like we have already.

But whilst you comment that our squad is thin - I'd say that by bringing in 5 players who started the last game who were not here last season (Vicario, Van de Ben, Maddison, Solomon and Udogie) we've pushed other players into being squad players (eg Dier) or out of the squad (eg Llloris). So unless you were expecting many more players, and its just not realistic to bring in say 10 players, we've achieved a lot by strengthening the squad in the places which before the transfer window were key - GK, LCB and creative player.

So yes the squad can be made stronger, but that was never realistic to complete that in one window.

Given many of the players refused moves (eg Llloris was it 4 moves ?) I'm unsurprised that some unwanted players are still here or like Sanchez or Ndombele waited until after the window had closed to go to the best deal for them.

All of which helps explain why I gave this window a 7/10 which on early matches looks a sensible judgement - and that's without seeing what options Johnson can add to our forward line ! ,

But whilst you comment that our squad is thin - I'd say that by bringing in 5 players who started the last game who were not here last season (Vicario, Van de Ben, Maddison, Solomon and Udogie) we've pushed other players into being squad players (eg Dier) or out of the squad (eg Llloris). So unless you were expecting many more players, and its just not realistic to bring in say 10 players, we've achieved a lot by strengthening the squad in the places which before the transfer window were key - GK, LCB and creative player.
I get your point, but the players who were pushed out by the new starters don't seem to be even good backups. Dier is fully out of the squad, Lenglet not re-signed, Sanchez sold, so the former starter as new backup doesn't apply to CBs.

Sess is a non-entity. Spends so much time injured, and is so shit when he does play that we wouldn't want him as a backup either.

I think only Davies, PEH, and Kulu (and maybe Emerson) might be considered former starters who will be regularly relied on as substitutes and backups.

I get your point, but the players who were pushed out by the new starters don't seem to be even good backups. Dier is fully out of the squad, Lenglet not re-signed, Sanchez sold, so the former starter as new backup doesn't apply to CBs.

Sess is a non-entity. Spends so much time injured, and is so shit when he does play that we wouldn't want him as a backup either.

I think only Davies, PEH, and Kulu (and maybe Emerson) might be considered former starters who will be regularly relied on as substitutes and backups.

By the same token, based on a starting XI of the following when everybody's fit:

Vic
Porro/Rom/VDV/Udogie
Madz/Biss/Bentancur
Johnson/Son/Solomon​

A bench pool of Davies, Royal, Phillips, Sarr, Skipp, PEH, Kulu, Perisic, Rich, Gil, Veliz is significantly better than last season as it the starting XI.

Another strong CB & GK wouldn't got a miss in Jan though.

By the same token, based on a starting XI of the following when everybody's fit:

Vic
Porro/Rom/VDV/Udogie
Madz/Biss/Bentancur
Johnson/Son/Solomon​

A bench pool of Davies, Royal, Phillips, Sarr, Skipp, PEH, Kulu, Perisic, Rich, Gil, Veliz is significantly better than last season as it the starting XI.

Another strong CB & GK wouldn't got a miss in Jan though.

I really don’t think Bentancur is an automatic starter ahead of Sarr. I Hope not anyway. Sarr’s raw but at least he’s got some fucking vim, Bentancur’s a plodder.

I really don’t think Bentancur is an automatic starter ahead of Sarr. I Hope not anyway. Sarr’s raw but at least he’s got some fucking vim, Bentancur’s a plodder.
Depends on how long it takes The Tanc to get back to his glorious best.

He’s not the athlete that Sarr is but he’s technically ahead for now.

Longer term Sarr has a ceiling that’s not just higher than Tanc but tbh higher than most box to box style CMs in the world. I still think he’d benefit from a battle for his place with a technician at this stage of his career.

vicario

moura - kane - danjuma

winks - ndombele

lloris​

EDIT

tenor.gif
Dier has been one of ENICs best buys and he's a true professional, I really have no problem with him wanting to leave on a free, it's his right.

Back
Top Bottom