Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
We need better than Lo Celso, who is simply unsuited to the Premier League or not good enough.

It's a poor default option in my opinion..
Fcuking disagrees until such time as Lo Celso comes on or starts and does diddly squat.

Astonishing how 7 points snd short-termism cover up a multitude of evidenced paucity.

I will be among the first to say I was wrong if Lo Celso comes good (ultimately it's whatever is good for the team that I care about), but honestly the flim flamming of supporters is hilarious.

Well I just said that to note that it would be the biggest outlay on new players in club history if calculated that way.

But the lion's share weren't new players at all.

Ok seeing as you already are; lets be sticklers..... By "the lions share" you are only talking about Porro.

How about we be honest? Esp. if you're gonna throw the following line around:

It's just book-cooking accounting.

There no book cooking going on.... Certainly not by me anyway.

Why would you take umbrage with me presenting tangible facts rather than the guy posting straight up falsehood?

Anyway, no reason to miss the forest for the trees here. Do we have a squad capable of competing for the top honors? Absolutely not. Can ENIC justify its ownership of the club, investment in infrastructure and pricing and brand placement without competing for the top honors? Absolutely not.

Unlike recent years this doesn't all have to come to its grand conclusion at the close of the nearest transfer window.

Well then.... Again, why would you take umbrage with me rather than the guy posting straight up falsehood?

We're engaged on a longer-term construction here. But it's the same story. To win like peer clubs will require squad expenditure like peer clubs, end of.

Not really no... Certainly not merely because YOU say so, mate....

......And definately not if your 'closer' is essentialy 'spend as much as richer clubs and to hell with context and any figures I may not like along the way'.

There no book cooking going on.... Certainly not by me anyway.

Why would you take umbrage with me rather presenting tangible facts rather than the guy posting straight up falsehood?
No no, YOU aren't cooking any books, the way the club is constructing these transfer deals is cooking the books.

Porro was purchased in January, not July. The Kulusevski one is admittedly somewhat more complicated.

So, again then; why would you take umbrage with me rather than the guy posting straight up falsehood?
Truly, I am not taking umbrage with you. Relying on the "official" figures and taking a longer-term view is fine and perfectly honest and good faith, I just think there's a more analytically robust way to think about it when zooming in more narrowly. And was also the direct question originally asked in this case.

Not really no... Certainly not merely because YOU say so, mate....

......And definately not if your 'closer' is essentialy 'spend as much as richer clubs and to hell with context and any figures I may not like along the way'.
It is what it is man. Nobody held a gun to Levy's head and forced him to build the glittering elite jewel of footballing venues. He's failing his business if he won't resource it to exploit his core asset.

I don't, but after a couple of green shoots against Brentford in terms of his runs in behind and touches on the ball allowing moves to continue to progress (Royal should have done much better with Richy's flick in that game), he's offered nothing since and imploded in the second half this weekend.

The CF in this system needs to be a persistent goal threat, among other duties. Richy hasn't been.
The CF in any system needs to be a persistent goal threat. But in this system it doesn't necessarily need to score CF-like number of goals, because the goals will come from all over the pitch.

going to need good service for that. bar the maddison through ball i cant think of much else he had? and he was unlucky there that the defenders arm held the ball up and got it caught under his feet.

lets see what hes like when he has perisic out there swinging in crosses for him? that is what i think will play to his strengths. hes a box player, hes not a good enough footballer to be playing much on the ball outside the box.

this system does have us pinning the oppo in deep, a lot of the time he is sandwiched between the two CB's so he needs crosses thumped in, in dangerous areas for him. the only other way the striker is going to get any joy is if he drops out deep like kane, but then i doubt thats what ange wants his striker to do, he wants his striker occupying the two CB's to free up space for the wide men, inverted fullbacks and CM's advancing.
This. 👆

It's great that we do, but your argument was that we need one. I was just pointing out that in an Ange system, which very closely mirrors Pep's, we can do just fine without one.
Samuel Eto'o, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Villa, Mario Mandzukic, Robert Lewandowski, Sergio Aguero, Erling Haaland.

A classic goalscoring #9 is, IMO, the critical difference between Pep's system being classy but playable versus world-destroying.

The CF in any system needs to be a persistent goal threat. But in this system it doesn't necessarily need to score CF-like number of goals, because the goals will come from all over the pitch.
I mean in theory perhaps, but in practice Kyogo was about as central to Celtic's goalscoring last year as Kane was at Spurs.

I can.

Correlation not causation.

Suggesting anything else wouldn’t stand up to the slightest bit of statistical analysis. Richarlison has just happened to be on the winning side a lot just like Bale just happened to be on the losing one during that freak run.

He’s not doing anything to cause these results, thus the easy conclusion is that it’s just a statistical oddity.
Cool story bro

Absolute bolllocks.

Does it even matter? Why are people so hung up by this? A successful window is one where all the positions that need to be strengthened are. We've strengthened GK, LCB, AM. We still need to strengthen the WF and CB backup. So 3 out of 4.5 (I'm counting backup as 0.5). And given that we're not short of scoring or creating chances, I would argue the WF is probably a 0.5 too. Not amazing, but not too shabby either.

No no, YOU aren't cooking any books, the way the club is constructing these transfer deals is cooking the books.

Fair enough..... Turn of phrase suggests something significantly more sleazy than what's going on either way..... Esp. if one broadens their view to consider some of the straigh-up shit-housing that these so-called "peers" have been up to for the last 20 years.

Porro was purchased in January, not July. The Kulusevski one is admittedly somewhat more complicated.

Which is perhaps why it's highly impractical to look at anything other than a net average? .....I don't relish hitting the spreadsheets every 5 minutes any more than anyone else here.

(Thankfully, I finally had there where-with-all to bookmark a practical set of figures with which to at least conduct a good faith discussion.)

Truly, I am not taking umbrage with you. Relying on the "official" figures and taking a longer-term view is fine and perfectly honest and good faith, I just think there's a more analytically robust way to think about it when zooming in more narrowly. And was also the direct question originally asked in this case.

I dunno what OG question you speak of but I was initially replying to the faalse claim that we were in profit.

It is what it is man. Nobody held a gun to Levy's head and forced him to build the glittering elite jewel of footballing venues. He's failing his business if he won't resource it to exploit his core asset.

That's all well and good in principal, but the "book cooking" cheats that are Man City & Chelsea (who have dominated the last 15 years of trophies) just entered the chat (not that they ever truly left).

Back
Top Bottom