Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
The CF in this system needs to be a persistent goal threat
going to need good service for that. bar the maddison through ball i cant think of much else he had? and he was unlucky there that the defenders arm held the ball up and got it caught under his feet.

lets see what hes like when he has perisic out there swinging in crosses for him? that is what i think will play to his strengths. hes a box player, hes not a good enough footballer to be playing much on the ball outside the box.

this system does have us pinning the oppo in deep, a lot of the time he is sandwiched between the two CB's so he needs crosses thumped in, in dangerous areas for him. the only other way the striker is going to get any joy is if he drops out deep like kane, but then i doubt thats what ange wants his striker to do, he wants his striker occupying the two CB's to free up space for the wide men, inverted fullbacks and CM's advancing.

We need a striker to compete with Richy, well sort of.
If forced to choose, I really think casting Son as the CF alternative and improving our wing options is the better move, assuming a suitable player is available.

Is Brennan Johnson that player?

Cringe Reaction GIF

What is the net spend this summer so far, exclude loans became permanent?

Ashley Phillips (£2million - Blackburn Rovers)
Manor Solomon (free transfer - Shakhtar Donetsk)
Guglielmo Vicario (£16.3million - Empoli)
James Maddison (£40million - Leicester City)
Micky van de Ven (£34.5million - Wolfsburg)
Alejo Véliz (£13million - Rosario Central)

Totals app £105m , correct?
Read recently veliz signing was a masterstroke by us and going to be a top player.

Eriksen?????

.......He left THREE years ago and didn't even sign a contract extension!!!

Winks wasn't put on some mega-contract either......

......And Lloris; majority of fans were keen that he extended his deal 2 yeas ago cos he was playing well.

I could go on, but this is hindsight fluff. The fanbase spent much of Poch's reign unduely shitting themselves that our players were gonna be sold from under Poch...... Annoys the piss out of me when people try and play this card.
It's what a club with a coherent transfer policy does. You don't need to sell all the players just enough to keep squad fresh.

I'll explain again in good faith.

Newsnow
is just an aggregator of links.... One that has no concern for credibility of source.

It is not a source itself......

One ought to concern themselves with who the original source is..... A lot of these shit-merchants don't even have or quote or source in their articles..... A lot of the time these articles just quote other articles and when you track them back to the OG source is may not be someone particularly plausible.

If you apply the following logic yourself and only post the OG sourced links (that Newsnow or another aggregator direct you to) then you will 'make friends' quite quickly; but "Newsnow says X" is a throwaway no-credibility point of reference for any so-called story/rumour......

Even JoeBloggs@Twitter holds more relevance cos at least a forum reader can judge for themselves if the source is worth heeding.
Point taken. So what's the alternatives?

Absolute bolllocks.

I understand why the books are kept the way they are for FFP purposes and for FFP purposes that seems correct, but from a "how much has the club invested?" perspective I very much prefer to book purchase obligations when they occur.

What that indicates essentially is that we spent a shitload of money on Conte, and have barely begun to reinvest the Kane money in terms of reallocating that to Ange-suited players.

That better reflects reality than looking at this as an unprecedented mega-spend summer, IMO.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

No one was clamouring for Osimhen last summer. Not a single person. He was an okay striker at a top four Serie A club. In fact, in his 2 years at Napoli until then, he had only just about outscored the 60m player we had signed from Everton.

It was only last season where Osimhen really started turning it on. And as soon as he done that, coinciding with our fall from top four contenders to where we found ourselves, we had absolutely no chance.

Kvara of course. We should have got him in years ago when we were linked. But I don't for a single second think he'd have made it here. Son was one of the best footballers in the league at the time, so he'd either of sat on the bench for a season or two getting bit part appearances here and there or sent out on loan.
i really like Osimhen

Osimhen pleaseeew

Osimhen is a baller. Great player
:ange-hmm:

If forced to choose, I really think casting Son as the CF alternative and improving our wing options is the better move, assuming a suitable player is available.

Is Brennan Johnson that player?

Cringe Reaction GIF
Don't think can rely on Son, one he's not a striker two he can't win headers three his build & physique not fit for PL forward.

I have no idea how good is this so many times mentioned guy, B Johnson, haven't watched him play but think already he scored more goals than Richy this season!

Don't think can rely on Son, one he's not a striker two he can't win headers three his build & physique not fit for PL forward.

I have no idea how good is this so many times mentioned guy, B Johnson, haven't watched him play but think already he scored more goals than Richy this season!
If he joins, is he going to be referred to as Boris?

I understand why the books are kept the way they are for FFP purposes and for FFP purposes that seems correct, but from a "how much has the club invested?" perspective I very much prefer to book purchase obligations when they occur.

Everyone wants to argue different.... Ditto whether Net or Gross is what's meaningful..... It's incredibly tedious at this point cos whatever argument one wants to make someone will step in and try and pull the pull the rug..... And, no disrespect to you, "Ah, but that was Conte money" is just the latest stick to the spokes in terms of a practical discussion that doesn't involve crunching the clubs accounts.

(If we're being picky; technically Kulu was not a commitment until this summer and his notable loan fee was already booked for the previous 18 months.)

Either way; we're not in profit this season. The bloke was talking crap(*).

(*As always; the diff. here is I"m prepared to provide exact figures to back up my arguments., rather than feelings like the bloke above.)

What that indicates essentially is that we spent a shitload of money on Conte, and have barely begun to reinvest the Kane money in terms of reallocating that to Ange-suited players.

........Money that a lot would insist had NOT been spent as a lump of it was "just loans".

That better reflects reality than looking at this as an unprecedented mega-spend summer, IMO.

I've not remotely suggested that this is an "unprecedented mega-spend summer".

Whatever way you slice it and regardless of who one wants to file as 'The Kane' Replacement'; in previous seasons (2019 onwards) we've averaged €95m (n)..... That figure will rise as a result of this summer if we follow through on Johnson:

22/23 in 177.9 out 38.7 = 139.2m (not inc. Porro/Kulu)
21/22 in 95.9 out 34.6 = 61.3m
20/21 in 110.50 out 13.3 = 97.2m
19/20 in 150.5 out 64.5 = 86m
= €383.7m (net spend) / Avg per season = €95.92m

Did he have an addiction, or were they just a load of low value bets
He has an addiction.

I'm not suggesting that this is an "unprecedented mega-spend summer".
Well I just said that to note that it would be the biggest outlay on new players in club history if calculated that way.

But the lion's share weren't new players at all. It's just book-cooking accounting.

Anyway, no reason to miss the forest for the trees here. Do we have a squad capable of competing for the top honors? Absolutely not. Can ENIC justify its ownership of the club, investment in infrastructure and pricing and brand placement without competing for the top honors? Absolutely not.

Unlike recent years this doesn't all have to come to its grand conclusion at the close of the nearest transfer window. We're engaged on a longer-term construction here. But it's the same story. To win like peer clubs will require squad expenditure like peer clubs, end of.

Back
Top Bottom