Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looks like he's definitely more of a pure goalscorer than a wide forward.

This is a guy who at 23 has started 177 games in his club career and had a hand in 119 goals across two different leagues.

A goal every 1.4 games he's involved in.

I haven't seen David exclusively. I don't watch much, if any Lille. But his stats dont look bad at all.

Interestingly, comparing data an it seems that him and Orban are nearly identical. With Orban being more deadly at finishing and David being a much better creator
David became Lille's top goal scorer in Ligue 1 in the last 60 years just this weekend.

He's a really good striker. Not Kane good but very few are.

This is Ange forcing him out I think. Not picking him in the squad sends a message. If he stays he's not going to play at all.
I can perhaps understand the club being interested in contract talks beforehand, but it's clear they were dead in the water as soon as we got Ange in. To be fair, I think it's suitability for the system rather than trying to be vindictive/issues with Dier's attitude.

Can you list the trophies Chelsea have won with Caicedo and Fernandez? Anyway, the post wasn't comparing trophies, it was comparing players and their relative costs.

(Admittedly, Fernandez did make an assist against West Ham last February, so it's not all bad for the racist scum)

You might want to raise Chelsea being 'hammered' 3-1 despite their obscenely expensive signings.

Refocussing on Spurs, I was expecting a hard time against Brentford (a tough counterattacking side who slaughtered Woolwich who fielded new defenders 2 or 3 seasons ago) as we had a new GK, Vicario, a new CB Van de Ven and a debut for RB Udogie ...... so was actually quite pleased with a draw.

A similar team against ManU and seeing the new boys Vicario, Van de Ven, Udogie and Maddison all having good games, showing they are bedding in nicely, and a 2-0 win made me appreciate the transfer work done already this season. We seem to have rebuilt much of the team in last couple of years whilst not spending outrageously but generally well and are putting together a cohesive squad ...... still more to do but we've got a base in place now

Rich has played more games at CF in his career (115) that in any other position.

It's not Son's primary position; but regardless he's proved himself VERY capable of playing CF.... 108 games in his career including some big game and performances for us. Ange himself has already said he's a perfectly plausible option at CF.
Played his best football from LWF at Watford imv and has approx the same amount of games in that position. Anyway, we don't need a plausible option, but someone with a proven goal scoring record. Richarlison is fine as cover for the front three.

David became Lille's top goal scorer in Ligue 1 in the last 60 years just this weekend.

He's a really good striker. Not Kane good but very few are.

I've honestly never seen him play. I hear conflicting opinions all the time on him.

But his numbers at the same age as Orban, look equally as impressive though for different reasons.

You might want to raise Chelsea being 'hammered' 3-1 despite their obscenely expensive signings.

Refocussing on Spurs, I was expecting a hard time against Brentford (a tough counterattacking side who slaughtered Woolwich who fielded new defenders 2 or 3 seasons ago) as we had a new GK, Vicario, a new CB Van de Ven and a debut for RB Udogie ...... so was actually quite pleased with a draw.

A similar team against ManU and seeing the new boys Vicario, Van de Ven, Udogie and Maddison all having good games, showing they are bedding in nicely, and a 2-0 win made me appreciate the transfer work done already this season. We seem to have rebuilt much of the team in last couple of years whilst not spending outrageously but generally well and are putting together a cohesive squad ...... still more to do but we've got a base in place now
Excellent post.

I have to say I'm a little frustrated with Dier and Hugo. After all these years you'd think they'd try and help the club out a little by being more open to transfers. Especially Dier - he hasn't been decent in what, 3 or 4 years?

This would seem like an ideal move for him.
Stays in London and gets 3 (or more) years on a PL salary (although probably reduced).
He clearly doesn’t want it. He grew up in Portugal and is comfortable living in continental Europe.
Ange has frozen him out but needs to tell him that he won’t make a single squad — not even as sub in League Cup game.
Hopefully, this news, with more authority than the posters here who have been saying much the same thing, will shut up those who say ‘why aren’t we selling Dier?’

I have to say I'm a little frustrated with Dier and Hugo. After all these years you'd think they'd try and help the club out a little by being more open to transfers. Especially Dier - he hasn't been decent in what, 3 or 4 years?
Probably bitter that they are being cast aside.

But from their point, I do understand them wanting to be able to choose the city they play and live in.

£60m on a squad player ?

If you thought that ........ I've no idea what's in your head, but its not reality.
If you read what I said, I didn't buy it.

But do you think he's good enough to replace Kane?
Because that's the wider issue here, we've basically gone from a 25 goal a season striker to a 10-15 goal striker.

Which is I suppose why some people are saying we need to sign another forward.

I think they're suffering from a gap between their perceived and actual talents.

Hugo turning down a move to Lazio because he wouldn't be the guaranteed starter demonstrates that.

Dier probably feels like Fulham is below him (our own fault really as we've spoiled him in recent years with CL appearances, etc).

Don't blame him for staying for a year, he will be a free agent next Summer.
He can go now to a decent PL side, would he get the same offer after of year of not playing, or having a bad loan spell? Honestly Fulham is an amazing offer for him, he won't even have to move.

Depends on the goals.

Orban strikes the ball well enough for any league in the world.

That's true.

But he could also be getting more space than in any league in the world.

The Belgian league is hardly a great league is it. I just find it interesting that the leagues reputation seems to have gone up a level since we've been linked with him.

And this is coming from someone who wants us to sign him. The unknown excites me.

He could be the next big thing. He could also be a colossal flop. I want us to find out.

Thing with Dier and Lloris is how has been allowed to go on this long?

Could have paid both Contracts out weeks ago and moved on with the rebuild.

Tanganga, Regui, Tanguy i get it, we need to see what we can get. Spence as well.

He can go now to a decent PL side, would he get the same offer after of year of not playing, or having a bad loan spell? Honestly Fulham is an amazing offer for him, he won't even have to move.

He could but what's the rush on him moving now as opposed to next Summer?

Back
Top Bottom